AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked this before, but I'll try again.

Does anybody know of any sound transmission numbers (either anecdotal or lab) through isolation spring hangers holding a ceiling? I'm not sure if I should be going with spring hangers or RISC clips.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Yes, there is a lot of data out there. A spring hanger has more deflection than I think you need for an audio purpose (ie, you aren't trying to isolate 10 Hz).

How much airspace above the ceiling do you have?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is 1" of airspace from the bottom of the joists to the top layer of the ceiling.

The spring hangers will hang from blocking between the joists using threaded rod. My architect has done the computations and picked the correct hanger for the weight of the ceiling structure.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
hey Ken, you don't need to calculate from the bottom of the joists to the drywall, you calc from the bottom of the floor (the underside of the sub-floor) to the drywall.

if you had a very large area that was within 1" of the ceiling back, that would have to be considered, but a narrow surface area like the bottom of a 2x10 can be neglected.

boy, lemme try to think of an analogy - think of it as just compressing the air in the space between floor and ceiling... pushing the drywall up compresses... the tiny space between the joists and the drywall - the air won't compress in that space, it will just push out into the larger part of the air cavity.

make any sense?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.