AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a good reason for the massive price premium on the 70" RPs. I just got back from Frys and the JVC 70" DILA was $1600 more expensive then the the 61". I know the shipping would be more and the material costs would be a bit more, but I am not sure that equates to that kind of difference.

I want a 70" tv, just not sure I am willing to pay that kind of premium. Does anyone think that we could see that premium shrink anytime soon?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII /forum/post/0

Is there a good reason for the massive price premium on the 70" RPs. I just got back from Frys and the JVC 70" DILA was $1600 more expensive then the the 61". I know the shipping would be more and the material costs would be a bit more, but I am not sure that equates to that kind of difference.

I want a 70" tv, just not sure I am willing to pay that kind of premium. Does anyone think that we could see that premium shrink anytime soon?

Because they can. I've been at SonyStyle and seen the 60" SXRD and the 70" in the same room and the 70" dwarfs the 60". Premium sizes command premium prices in every type of panel and it also depends on where you bargain.

As competition increase in larger sizes the price is driven down but then a new larger panel takes over and it commands the market, Sony 70" LCD @$33K and Sharp 65" used to be $20K and is half that now. I could go on and on but a Qualia 70" was $13K with no discount at all for 9 months and now the XBR2 70" can be had for around $5K 2 years later. Again, because they can - and if it becomes a problem they discount eventually.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have arrived!!!! joanmaeder has posted on one of my threads.

I will check out that deal. May even have to warm up the ole credit card...

That offer is for the older Pro model. I want one that accepts 1080P but it gives me much hope that the current models will drop to a decent price. I have a 52" 2G model now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
All I can say is that I have looked at ALL the 70" plus RPTV's (Ok, I missed out on the JVC somehow) and the Mitsu was fine on HD but not spectacular by any sense of the imagination, and the Sony was the BEST BY FAR with Standard Def programming. I saw NO SIGN's of ANY KIND of a Green blob in anything I watched. On SD programming the Mitsu was UNWATCHABLE! It was beyond terrible...I looked at 3 different ones in different stores but the story was the same EVERY TIME! Just terrible for SD, and frankly the amt of HD programming out there is such that you will likely watch a LOT of SD still so it BETTER be good at that... I did like the Toshiba btw also. Seems to lack the reliability though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.