AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas. I have an HTPC connected to a separate flexraid server, both connected to my modem via ethernet. On the same network I have a handful of laptops, tablets, etc.

In the past few days, I have seen massive amounts of uploading, as indicated by my ISP. The highest was about 14GB in a day.

I have run scans using MSE and Malwarebytes on all computers (htpc, server, laptops) and everything has come up clean.

I installed bitmeter, at the suggestion of my ISP techsupport. I am seeing uploads in the range of 2.5 - 4 kBps.

As I have been typing this, on my HTPC,I suddenly have uploads of 400+MB

I don't use torrent sites and i don't use cloud based storage. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
Some routers have DNS services. Being configured improperly that DNS service is open to any botnets to amplify their DDOS attacks. Google for open DNS check.

Your other option is a firewall with detailed logs: what app, what type of data, what adresses. Just keep in mind that issue could be related not to computers only.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
You say connected to your modem. Do you mean router then modem? Do you have a password set on your router? Which model is it?

How are you certain it's "up" instead of "down"

Also, generally it's good advice to disregard what ISP tech support says

Are you using Plex or MB3

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I meant router, though it is also the cable modem. It is a Cisco dpc3825.

I will check for the OpenDNS issue tonight. I have reset the Admin and wifi passwords.

I know it is "up" instead of down simply by tracking my usage on my ISP site (as far as the overall usage goes). With respect to the upload while drafting the original message, i base it on what I am seeing using bitmeter. I now think, though, the massive upload I saw while drafting the first post may have been my HTPC transmitting data to my server, as the server saw a corresponding download. Since they connect to each other through my cable modem, I wonder if something internal may be screwing up and registering this LAN traffic as uploads over the ISP. (Is that even possible?)

I use MB3 on my HTPC.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I appreciate the feedback.

As for firewalls, are there any that are recommended? I am not really familiar with them.

Thanks again,

-Bill

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
This is a shot in the dark, but is there any chance you use the Movie Theme app for Media Browser? I noticed they recently enabled automatic uploading of all your movie themes to a community server that other users can access (which I really think you should have to opt in to rather than opt out) . This resulted in the uploading of many large video files (probably copyrighted) from my server to the internet.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfordb  /t/1522330/massive-amounts-of-uploads#post_24477564

As for firewalls, are there any that are recommended? I am not really familiar with them.

Software firewalls are useless if you're on your home connection behind the hardware firewall in your router, but they're more useful if you frequently use unsecured Wi-Fi networks with a laptop, which would expose you to potential attackers on the same network.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1522330/massive-amounts-of-uploads#post_24479139

Software firewalls are useless if you're on your home connection behind the hardware firewall in your router, but they're more useful if you frequently use unsecured Wi-Fi networks with a laptop, which would expose you to potential attackers on the same network.

Keep those software firewalls up. Defense-in-depth is the only way to stand a chance. Home routers are not effective security devices. They don't get patched; they don't have their logs shipped&monitored (or even enabled); and remote vulnerabilities are common. Using openwrt/tomato/etc helps, but those aren't bulletproof either.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Windows firewall isn't bad if you don't let everything under the sub punch through it. Punching through and port forwarding for the same application if that application can easily run as admin and you have security prompting turned very low

Also, are you viewing your mb3 library on any mobile devices or computers outside your network? Sounds a lot like someone was watching a few movies outside your network on a roku or something that day.

I have a lot of plex uploads and Netflix/other downloads. ISP doesn't have my correct phone number these days, but I get no complaints. Unless you are on a metered connection I wouldn't worry about enjoying some mb3 or plex time through the Internet. If you are metered, try switching to unmetered if you can

·
Registered
470 Posts
I can't recommend any modern firewalls cause I don't deal with any for a long time. In my opinion first thing that must be done is locating the exact point of upload. Too bad if ISP doesn't provide a detailed data... maybe write them a letter and ask?

Are you using Scype? It can be involved to p2p data transferring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.