AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a full range speaker design that can play down to 20hz and be around 130/140 db. something loud with balls. of course i want it to sound good to. this is for a dedicated movie/music room. i want this big and loud. i was looking at the jbl 5742. any designs out there similar... can i build this same design? i've built line arrays and taphorns in the past. not good with designing. just get measurements and start building.

http://www.performanceaudio.com/buy/JBL/5742/21299

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian
Ha! I see that you're new around here. Welcome.

You might just want to pay attention to any threads I start in this section in the coming months.

i see i have a man here with the same insane thinking. i want a speaker so damn loud it will crack your chest plate and cause serious hearing and brain damage. kick-drum that will shatter windows and kill cockroaches in the walls. lol

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mph33
i want a speaker so damn loud it will crack your chest plate and cause serious hearing and brain damage. kick-drum that will shatter windows and kill cockroaches in the walls. lol
mmehh.

That's pretty loud

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Quote:
looking for a full range speaker design that can play down to 20hz and be around 130/140 db. something loud with balls. of course i want it to sound good to. this is for a dedicated movie/music room. i want this big and loud. i was looking at the jbl 5742. any designs out there similar... can i build this same design? i've built line arrays and taphorns in the past. not good with designing. just get measurements and start building.

http://www.performanceaudio.com/buy/JBL/5742/21299
Seriously though... can we get some more details about your room, current gear, wanted gear and maybe some more expectations/system specs?

The system I am building is going to meet some specific requirements that I wanted but may not be useful for you. Though it can be modified very easily to reach your demands. It sure won't be cheap though.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
"looking for a full range speaker design"

right off that looks like a fail to me. why would you want drivers playing out of their range even if they kind of can?

also, who needs 140 db? that is too loud.

scott is an oddball who knows what he is doing...most folks don't need anything near that for "slam in your face" performance.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Quote:
Seriously though... can we get some more details about your room, current gear, wanted gear and maybe some more expectations/system specs?

The system I am building is going to meet some specific requirements that I wanted but may not be useful for you. Though it can be modified very easily to reach your demands. It sure won't be cheap though.

Broken glass? Who cares about broken glass?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPb9-OK9r9I

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Quote:
One of my design features is: mid-bass so loud and strong it will break drywall like a toothpick.

Teaser: Front, center and right channels. Each with quad JBL 2226's... yes, PER channel. Hopefully powered with Lab Gruppen 'clones' all crammed into a 2,000ft^3 spare bedroom.

None of that mentions my subwoofer system, either.

ETA on this cochlear torture device??? Inquiring minds want to know when this craziness will be unleashed........JBL subwoofage as well, or something else??

JSS

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

room will be around 20ft(w) 35ft(l) 12ft(h)... gear? i have nothing. ex took everything. starting from scratch. was thinking diy amps or pa gear. dsp of course. i listen to mostly metal. looking for solid mids and highs that doesnt make your eardrums bleed from crash cymbals. i need kick-drum that will give you whiplash lol

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy
ETA on this cochlear torture device??? Inquiring minds want to know when this craziness will be unleashed........JBL subwoofage as well, or something else??

JSS

Unfortunately nothing yet. Shocking, I know but I want to it all 'right' the first time so I don't have to upgrade some amp or this and that. Blah blah blah. Heh. Pretty much everything is set but I need to finish the cabs and get the amps/crossovers. I'm on the fence about the LG clones but if they do what everyone says then they should be the last amp ever for me. Heh.

It's safe to say that I bit off more than I can chew. But I have been self-teaching myself not to flake out (as much as I used to, I young and I'm learning) and I will finish what I started. My finances are in order and picking up momentum which is all great signs for those of you waiting for my build.

Oh and my subs will more than likely quad sealed RLp18's but I'm really leaning towards dual, dual-opposed for those. My JBL's otoh may be contributing with LFE as well. *wink wink nudge nudge*

Quote:
room will be around 20ft(w) 35ft(l) 12ft(h)... gear? i have nothing. ex took everything. starting from scratch. was thinking diy amps or pa gear. dsp of course. i listen to mostly metal. looking for solid mids and highs that doesnt make your eardrums bleed from crash cymbals. i need kick-drum that will give you whiplash lol

Ahh. Okay. So you really don't need anything below 25hz then? You're looking for a bass section like mine but a bit larger and vented. Easy. You can also go with dual 18's for the bass system like in the JBL unit you posted above. No problem. The mids and highs... definitely doable.

Now... THE MOST important question: Can you build and do you have lots of money?
You're gonna need it.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Unfortunately nothing yet. Shocking, I know but I want to it all 'right' the first time so I don't have to upgrade some amp or this and that. Blah blah blah. Heh. Pretty much everything is set but I need to finish the cabs and get the amps/crossovers. I'm on the fence about the LG clones but if they do what everyone says then they should be the last amp ever for me. Heh.

It's safe to say that I bit off more than I can chew. But I have been self-teaching myself not to flake out (as much as I used to, I young and I'm learning) and I will finish what I started. My finances are in order and picking up momentum which is all great signs for those of you waiting for my build.

Oh and my subs will more than likely quad sealed RLp18's but I'm really leaning towards dual, dual-opposed for those. My JBL's otoh may be contributing with LFE as well. *wink wink nudge nudge*

Ahh. Okay. So you really don't need anything below 25hz then? You're looking for a bass section like mine but a bit larger and vented. Easy. You can also go with dual 18's for the bass system like in the JBL unit you posted above. No problem. The mids and highs... definitely doable.

Now... THE MOST important question: Can you build and do you have lots of money?
You're gonna need it.
yes... i can build. my friend has a cabinet shop. money? hmmm... one step at a time my friend. divorce? lol

i can save money and stuff. buy the speakers.... build the cabs... then get the amps later.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Yeah. I hear ya. Though your expectations demand extraordinary equipment at outrageous prices. It's just the way of the game.

Drivers.... whew. That's a loaded question. Again, money and expectations. I could list all sorts of stuff but you were already on the right track picking that JBL system. Do some research on that kind of gear and you'll know what to look for.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Yeah. I hear ya. Though your expectations demand extraordinary equipment at outrageous prices. It's just the way of the game.

Drivers.... whew. That's a loaded question. Again, money and expectations. I could list all sorts of stuff but you were already on the right track picking that JBL system. Do some research on that kind of gear and you'll know what to look for.

what about a 3-way... 18", 8" and a 6 1/2 coaxil?

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Very doable but you won't hit anywhere near those levels you mentioned in the first post.

The other components in my uber build is a 2" JBL compression driver (JBL 2445h) which will cover the 500hz-7khz-ish range and anything higher than that... well, I'm working on it and have some eligible candidates. Keeping that 'hush hush' atm.

You'll need some decent power for the bass section.

Can you throw out a ball park budget for this? Also, is this just stereo or do you need a center (and maybe surrounds) too?

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Very doable but you won't hit anywhere near those levels you mentioned in the first post.

The other components in my uber build is a 2" JBL compression driver (JBL 2445h) which will cover the 500hz-7khz-ish range and anything higher than that... well, I'm working on it and have some eligible candidates. Keeping that 'hush hush' atm.

You'll need some decent power for the bass section.

Can you throw out a ball park budget for this? Also, is this just stereo or do you need a center (and maybe surrounds) too?

this will be for stereo for now... centers and surround for later. budget for drivers is around 2 grand. cab supplies will be free. i can spend more on the drivers... not sure what all this will cost. whatever will work... i want this to crank.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Got something for you.

Buy a pair of JBL pro 4722's. There are active and passive versions of them. If you get the active one, get a Behringer ep4000 for each bass section. Two, in this case then. You'll have to find something you like for the HF sections. They won't need much power anyway. You'll need a crossover of some kind. Might as well get the Behringer DCX2496 as it's very versatile and affordable. The MiniDSP is another good choice for crossover duty.

If you get the passive version. You can get away with a Behringer ep4000 for the whole speaker and call it a day.

Now, for the deeper bass. I'd say get as many Dayton DVC15's you can afford and then make 4-8 of Lilmike's F-20 horn subwoofers. Easy to build, stupid crazy SPL and extend to 20hz.

Build, install and enjoy.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.