AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen this as requested or as available, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

If I have 2, or more, Replay 4000's connected together, why do I have to manage the schedule and time on all? Doesn't it make sense to have one schedule and one Replay Guide? It would know the available time on each unit in it's group and despence recordings according to available tuner and space. Since I can watch a show which was recorded on another device, do I really care where the show exists? The schedule/guide would exist on all devices, and changes would be synched to all devices in the group. However, the 'Master' decides who records what. It would know how many tuners it has in the group and make sure that only an available device would be told to record a specific show. When I look at my guide, on any device, I would see all the available shows on all the devices as if it existed on one. If I chose to delete/watch/save to tape/etc.. the show wouldn't have to actually exist on the device I was using. It wouldn't matter.

Sounds like the next logical step, that is if it isn't already there. They have all the needed hardware. All they need to do now is tell the software. In fact, there is already software that runs on Linux that would keep all the schedule/guide data synched live...it's called eDirectory from Novell. Scalabilty, stability, and security have never been a problem for eDirectory. A few small code changes and they could get it to run on their Linux hybrid I'm sure.

-mitch

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by msherfey
why do I have to manage the schedule and time on all? Doesn't it make sense to have one schedule and one Replay Guide?
Yes it makes sense... it also makes things alot more complicated. Just imagine dealing with problems. What if the master goes down? What if a network problem breaks the connection and the Replay's don't see each other any more.

SonicBlue took it easy in the first release... You can control each Replay from any Replay, but the guide stays the same. We'll see if it changes in the future, but let's KISS for nwo.

Robert

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.