AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey sorry if this has been covered, but I'm very new at this and want to see if its possible...

I have a denon AVR-590 and I'm trying to see what the best method is to play blu-ray rips through to my LG plasma.

I do have an older computer (P4 w/ standard vid card) which I was thinking of upgrading...question is: Will I need a super expensive sound card to get the benefits of DTS master audio?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It's been covered extensively in dozens of threads. Probably the best place to start is the graphics card section of the big HD HTPC guide thread.

The short version is that due to DRM shenanigans, you can only get HD audio over HDMI, and only with certain video cards. There are a couple high-end sound cards that will do it as well, but getting a compatible video card will be much less expensive.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been looking at some video cards that have an HDMI out, but none are AGP cards..which is what my computer needs right now...

I've seen the Zotac mini which seems like it might be a great option

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
an asus HDAV slim is $150, that is the least expensive bitstreaming sound card. You'd be hardpressed to do a cpu/mobo/memory upgrade for less than that.

If you did go that route the new intel H55 chips do have bitstreaming.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibz35 /forum/post/18211181

I've been looking at some video cards that have an HDMI out, but none are AGP cards..which is what my computer needs right now...

I've seen the Zotac mini which seems like it might be a great option

Time to get a new computer...

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
That P4 couldn't handle Bluray playback reliably. You need a whole new MB/CPU/RAM anyway. Going with an i3 or i5 with bitstreaming built into the CPU with a H55 MB would be your cheapest option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts