Status
Not open for further replies.
2981 - 2990 of 2990 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIGuNDoCIx /forum/post/12091997

OK guys/gals Im new here so please be kind.

I recently got my hands on a 50-inch Dell Plasma TV (Model W5001C) from my brother in-law. He had used it to display security camera video feeds and it has some horrible "burn-in" ( I will post photos when I get home). It was running 10-12 hrs a day five days a week for about 7 months straight. I have been searching the web for anything to try to fix the "burn in" or at least make it less noticable. I have tried leaving it on a "snowy" channel for several hours (8 to be exact) which helped some and I have tried Jscreenfix with no results at all. In the tvs setup menu there is a "Plasma Conditioning" option that displays a white screen but that had no effect as well.

Is there anything at all that I can do now? Should I try leaving the "snowy" channel on longer or am I completly SOL?

It's worth a shot. If nothing else it will make a great outdoor set for bbq's.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Samsung has done some research on Plasma image ghosting in order to find the true cause. They have found the following:

Image Retention: Caused by residual wall charge left in a cell after discharge. The residual charge increases the discharge probability of the cell and reduces the discharge delay time resulting in a brighter luminance than normal. Image retention can be removed by short periods of white wash or normal program viewing. In other words it is easily removed.

Image Sticking: Caused by excessive sputtering of MgO onto the phosphor material and cell wall during excessive sustained discharge. It is usually characterized as having a slightly brighter ghost image on a dark screen and a slightly darker ghost image on a bright screen. This is a semi-permanent phenomenon. However, it has been found that a white wash of 100hours can completely resolve the image stick.

Burn-In As we all know is uneven-phosphor aging and is permanent. It is also the most difficult to achieve and therefore the most unlikely scenario.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can someone post pictures of a burned in (or with major IR) plasma screen? Everyone worries about it, but I never see any hard evidence.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hello newbie help please.

i tried to add to earlier post but no response.

I have had a pdp 4270 for about a year and a half.

Just got a toshiba A2 (walmart deal!!) hooked it up and watched the planet earth hddvd.

For the first time i noticed vertical lines especially in scenes where there is a confluent whitish background - like snow/ice. The middle of the screen seems yellowish and lateral portions bilaterally a little brighter.

Never saw this before but when i played around, the vertical bars seem to be corresponding to my COX CABLE CHANNEL GUIDE.

I am the main tv person in the house and the unit never stays on the channel guide for more than a few seconds.

Ive left it on for several hours (discoveryHD) with no fading of these lines.

Can anyone help please! Im planning a couple of flat panels for a new home and am getting a little skiddish if this burn in/ir is a problem.

DO i use a white wash? where do i find that. or try the burn in dvd.

I have seen similar posts but no real suggestions for this.

Please help im freaked out!!!

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey guys lots of posts. New 5054 owner here. I have a few questions. Can I play any Xbox 360 games during the first 100 hours of use? Today I was breaking in the set and muted the screen, after an hour I noticed that the "mute" icon was on the screen, I unmuted it and can see some image retention where the mute icon was. I am running the scrolling screensaver now to further break in the set and hopefully remove the square where the mute button was (its very faint, only noticeable when looking for it).

Tomorrow I am supposed to have a buddy come over and play some 360 games but I am worried that it will result in more image retention/burn in. Should I hold off on 360 games until 100 hours of break in? Also did I damage the screen with the mute button or will the image fade?

Thanks for your help, I searched the forums for answers but these threads are huge!

·
Registered
369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcactus /forum/post/12334419

Hey guys lots of posts. New 5054 owner here. I have a few questions. Can I play any Xbox 360 games during the first 100 hours of use? Today I was breaking in the set and muted the screen, after an hour I noticed that the "mute" icon was on the screen, I unmuted it and can see some image retention where the mute icon was. I am running the scrolling screensaver now to further break in the set and hopefully remove the square where the mute button was (its very faint, only noticeable when looking for it).

Tomorrow I am supposed to have a buddy come over and play some 360 games but I am worried that it will result in more image retention/burn in. Should I hold off on 360 games until 100 hours of break in? Also did I damage the screen with the mute button or will the image fade?

Thanks for your help, I searched the forums for answers but these threads are huge!

It would be safer yes.... I know I did... 100hours goes fast if you leave the TV on all night.../day with break-in dvd... I did 200+ to be safe.. Now I play my games without fretting it..

www.samsungplasmatvfaq.com for more info....

·
Registered
139 Posts
i've had a panny th50px75 for about 100 hours and didn't run the break-in dvd. Now, if I run it a few times for a few hours every now and then, will it help to even the phosphor aging from 4:3 and non-zoomed watching on the TV. Or is it going to make matter worse? Screen uniformity looks perfect to me, but I don't wanna take any risk since my family has a hard time pressing on the button to switch aspect ratios on the TV.

Bottom line, is it good to run the break-in dvd after the first 100 hours up to the next 200 hours?

·
Super Moderator
21,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,988
Bump

still need a volunteer to start new thread

PM me [please]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Could someone please give me a link or just list the recommended BREAK-IN settings for my new 42" PX75U plasma?? I can't find them anywhere.

Thanks!

2981 - 2990 of 2990 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.