AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bis22 /forum/post/0

What would be really cool is if they could develop a sensor that would detect how much the phosphors are worn in what positions and compensate for burn-in by projecting a brighter image in the exact positions where there's more wear. Of course, I'm guessing if they ever made something like that it would be really expensive...

I am sure they could and the cost would not be that great. The problem is they don't want you to have that set to long because it would hurt sales. Aso it would have to function as a extra on the menu when the set is not being watch. SO if you had a burn is on one spot of the TV and changed channels to a something different the spot with the burn in would be brighter. .

Eric

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody, This is my first post. I read about 90% of this thread and still have some questions. I just purchased a JVC AV-56P575 for $1299 at Circuit City. I need this tv to last as long as it can, due to money. I currently have the brightness and contrast set to 0. The image was amazing watching Shrek 2 last night. What are the best settings to use?

Also, I watch hours of 4:3 content in the side stretch mode. I have a ton of DVD's in 1.85 so it fits the screen perfectly. How bad is the harm of watching a 2.35 with the bars on top and bottom if I am watching tons of stretched content before and after the movie?

Any other tips are welcome. This tv is only 2 days old

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Well from what I can tell as long as you keep things mixed up. some 4:3, games, 16:9, things should be all right. You only run into trouble when you start watching the same thing over and over again. Also be carefull on how your set handles power outages, or misssing input source. My old Sony when the power was out and came back on the input is was on would be displayed and stayed displayed untill the set was turned off or the input was active again. This kind of situation could result in screen burn if left for a long time.

be Coolllll

Eric

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are there any physical in-line devices that will start screensavers after a period of inactivity? If so what is it called? Where do I get it? How much? Will it interfere with the regular signal (degrading said signal)?

Thanks,

captkirk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm looking at the Samsung HLR5668W Power Buy, but I'm concerned that it may be too big since we only have a 7-foot viewing distance. Will the 56" be too much? Will there ever be a 50-inch screen available?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi Jack,

Due to the major increase in Picture Quality of HD and progscan dvd shorter viewing distances are quite acceptable particularly if you have the set ISF'd including removal or reversal of the reflective screen.

I'm 10.5' from 65" and I could easily move up a couple of feet. It only really becomes an issue for people way over on the corners, but if you and someone that smells okay are on the couch it should be great.

Peter M.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Peter:

Thanks for the encouraging reply. But what does "have the set ISF'd" mean? And what, exactly, would removal or reversal of the reflective screen accomplish? (And is the screen readily removable/ reversible by a non-techie user like myself?)

Jack

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi Jack,

This thread deals with burnin, (and how to avoid it) on the tecnologies prone to that.

ISF (Imaging Science Foundation). HDTV's particularly crt types come from the factory un calibrated. Technicians licenced by this group use expensive scopes that go way beyond the capabilities of DVD's like AVIA and DVE which the ISF techs also use as part of their kit to make sure you get the best picture and that your set lives to it's proper lifespan.

Unfortuneately many people judge a set by what they see on the floor at the store. The picture you see there has no comparison to what it will look like after its calibrated properly.

My suggestion is read magazines like HDTV and join forums like this one and do searches on specific issues.

I'm not saying don't take advantage of the power buy, I have know idea if its a good deal or not. You should also add a few hundred dollars to your budget for a proper calibration if you really care about picture quality.

Peter M.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Do many of you burn-in savvy folks (with a contrast in the low 30s or 40s) find it painful when people with RPTVs say their contrast is at 100?

I went to a friend's and his roommate had his 57F510's contrast up to 98...so sad

He'll learn, haha

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi,

You might have to learn this the hard way but your enthusiasm for helping these people by encouraging them to trun down to at least 50, B & C may become antagonistic.

After that, unless their bills become your bills, your conscience should be clear.

I've had an ISF Calibrator tell me that after just being paid $400, he watched his client turn up the brightness on his set through the livingroom window as he was pulling out of the driveway.

I organized an ISF'rs original trip from Calgary to Toronto back in Feb 2001 and he's since become a friend and still comes twice a year with 20 to 30 sets to do.

Invariably there are a couple of call backs where the client irreversibly screwed up the work that had been done and need a call back.

I don't know what the actual settings on my set are but it shows 50% for everything incase I have the urge to fool around I can always come back to that.

Peter M.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Does the default on the Mitsu 55" cause the brightness to go to 100% ?

I accused the kids of screwing with my settings .. I don't know if someone sat on the remote or what .....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stupid Noob Question:

With an OTA Antenna some HD programming still has those black bars on the sides even with the TV set to fullscreen. Since their from the network does that still mean I could get "burn in" on the screen? By the way it is a Sony WS550.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi,

I subscribe to cable but the issue is the same, except for perhaps PBS which always broadcasts in 16/9 but not always HD. The HD channels you are recieving OTA do not always broadcast in HD so you couuld in fact have bars on the sides because it's not in HD (which is always 16/9) and it was shot in 2:35 showing bars on the top and botton. The picture would be in the center of the screen framed in black.

If you can turn the contrast and brightness to 50% and the sharpness to about 12 there should be no problem. If your tv also allows you to set the side bars to light grey it would even be better.

Peter M.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
OK... I just found some minor burn in images on my Mits 65413 which is about 2 years old now.
The burn in images are from playing Halo2 on the XBOX. It is the ammo HUDs on top of the screen and the radar/health bar on the bottom that have burned in. For the game input I am using, I had calibrated it via Avia and upped the contrast and brightness up a couple of notches from Avia's recomendations to see more clearly in the game as some of the levels are fairly dark. Well about a month or so ago, the new map packs came out for Halo2, in which one of the levels "Warlock" was very dark on my screen so I upped the contrast even more. I don't remember the exact setting that Avia had recommended, but I believe I was in the upper 20s for contrast. But after teaking the game input to my liking I was in the 34s and thought that was safe. =(

I play Halo2 quite a bit, at least 2-3 hours a day on my set and watch SD Tivo on it utiling the Stretch Plus mode to cover the entire screen. When movies are played, far and between now, they remain in their true aspect ratio. But Halo2 for the past few months have probably accounted about 80% of this TV's usage.

When viewing full screen images from HD or SD, you can't tell the burn in is there unless the area is highlighted in white.If you have a static color block on the screen on the screen, you can see the Halo2 HUD on the screen as well.

I have a modded xbox where I accidently left a static homebrew menu screen on the Mits for probably about 6-8 hours a few months ago (maybe a year now). I came home horrified thinking I just ruined my set since the menu utilized a lot of white around its menu modules. But to my surprise, no signs of burn in after that fiasco. That was before upping the contrast the second time so I was probably around 30 for my contrast then.

The TV just finished a Halo2 marathon weekend so maybe the burn in is being more pronounced now than before because of the recent use. Anyways, I downloaded the Nokia monitor test and will hook up the HTPC to the set to see if that will help it tomorrow. I'm also leaving the set on overnight and set the Tivo to record various different channels to see if that will help phase out the burn in images.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My Mitsu is almost 2 yrs old ... I use split screen a lot and on light shots in sd or hd I can see the line down the middle....I use MSNTV on the right side and watch tv with the sound on the left side...Anyone know if that would cause the right side to burn in worse...AS I have noticed that the text on web sites is clearer if I put the MSNTV on the left side.....???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed today on my 53" Panasonic HDTV, SciFi logo burned into the bottom right corner, makes me sick. I can only see it when the screen is totally white, but I know its there and the thought of it drives me nuts. My brightness is set to 30 out of a possible 63, sharpness is set at 30 of a possible 63, and picture is set at 30 of a possible 63. Im at a complete loss... I know I watch Sci Fi a lot, but had no idea I watched enough to actually burn their logo into my tv.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gotta be about three years old by now. Like I said, I can barely see the SciFi logo if the screen goes white, but I still know its there now, and I stew about stuff like that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I didn't realize, until I checed out this site, that the brightness and contrast contribute to burn in.

I turned down the settings and then thats when I realized that the default setting on the Mitsu was full 100% brightness....So the whole year before I found this site my brightness was probably full on .....

201 - 220 of 386 Posts