AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay44 /forum/post/0

I didn't realize, until I checed out this site, that the brightness and contrast contribute to burn in.

I turned down the settings and then thats when I realized that the default setting on the Mitsu was full 100% brightness....So the whole year before I found this site my brightness was probably full on .....

Same here..I'll have to be sure to be more careful nowadays, esp. w/ playing Metal Gear Solid--wouldn't want FourDour's burn-in to be in vain... sorry four door...at least you got some good gaming in on the tube!

·
Registered
124 Posts
So about this whole burn in issue.

I am totally paranoid now about getting a DLP tv.

Is the burn in issue so bad that I can't even watch TV normally? People are saying how even stuf like the Sci-Fi channel logo has been burnt into their screen. With these TVs do I need to change the channel every hour or so and be afraid to ever watch a channel with a still image?

I guess that also means video games are totally out of the question, right?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi all, just finished reading this thread and thought I'd post my thoughts.

First, I have a Toshiba TW65H80 from 1999, the first high def capable RPTV from them. I have done a number of things including calibration, removal of the protective glare shield, and some repairs of small problems that have come up.

I watch a variety of programming including broadcast, Satellite, HD, and DVD. Some of this content has black bars such as 2.35 DVD or local HDTV content that is 4:3 but forces the TV to full mode where they supply the black (or gray) bars.

I have noticed a number of people who won't watch the stretch mode for 4:3 material on their 16:9 TV's. I have no such problem and part of that (IMO) is because the Toshiba sets have the best stretch mode around. The most common complainers in this thread own Hitachi or Mitsubishi sets. For those two brands, I don't blame them. A friend of mine has a 65" Mits and even I can't watch the stretch mode on that TV. So part of the problem might be the type of stretch the TV (or STB) provides. I can say that in the 6+ years I've owned this TV, not one person who has come over to watch with me has ever noticed the stretch mode until I set the TV to normal and asked about it. If you're a purist and must watch all content in it's original aspect ratio, then you have no choice (I have no problem with that either, it's a personal choice).

Burn in is the differential aging of the phosphors in the 3 CRT's (talking CRT based RPTV only here).

Once burned in, there are very limited solutions available. I'd like to address a couple of the ones that have been suggested in this thread.

1) Alternating white/black pattern. This will have NO effect on burn in. The phosphors in the CRT's will be subjected to aging (white) and no aging (black) in a uniform manor resulting in all phosphors in the tubes aging the same amount. Therefore, any difference between two given areas will remain the same (IE: where the burned in logo is and where it isn't or where the bars where and the center, etc.).

2) Using a reverse image to age everything back to the same. This should work if you have the equipment and can EXACTLY match the reversed image on the set with the burned image.

3) What would I do if mine were to burn in? I would purchase three new tubes and replace them. For my set, they are $183.40 each (Vance Baldwin Electronics). There is a fair amount of work involved in the replacement, but it can be done and is still cheaper than replacing the entire set.

4) Logo burn in. This was/is a very annoying concern for all of us and I have participated in two letter (email) writing campaigns that have had success and one that didn't. I and many other members of this forum wrote letters to PBSU and to the National Geographic Channel asking that if they must show a logo, could they at least make it transparent and/or subtle. We explained the whole burn-in issue and what the sets costs, etc. Both of those station bugs are MUCH better today as a direct result of that campaign. Two individuals have complained about the Disney channel's logo; I would recommend starting a thread on that specific issue and getting an email or letter campaign going.

I have been reading up on the newest display technology lately and was pretty happy to read in two different reviews of available technology that CRT based displays still offer the best picture when properly calibrated, so I plan to stick with my CRT based RPTV. That is not to say that others may feel differently or that non CRT based displays might be the ones that you find the best. All the technologies are producing excellent images these days and are getting better every year.

I would not avoid a particular display technology based solely on burn-in issues. I would go and review all that is available display wise and buy what I liked the best. Then calibrate and consider your viewing habits appropriately.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok wow.7 month after the date of purchase ( 1rst february),i just notice my first BURN IN!!!
.Yop On my new Hitachi 46F510, i now have a burn in of "LCN" right in the bottom left corner of the screen, and since i notice it, i just cant stop looking at it.

I have email hitachi waiting got a positive response to know if they can replace, fix this probleme, and i really think not, and i didnt receive any answer yet

Im piss.Seriously.Iv spend with taxes about $1800 and now i have a wonderful burn-in.

Any tips you can give me to try to remove it?I tried "magical focus" and it didnt do anything.

But just to know like that, is a television like that can be resold??( the burn in is still minor, but its noticeable if you look carefuly.)I am considering trying to sell it back, by letting know the buyer about the problem, at let say, half the price like?( im thinking about letting it go at $800 CAN like) and purchase a CRT Tube 32 wega (the hi scan version KV32HS420).Would people still buy that, even for the minor burn in?

Thanks in advance....frustrated customer...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Can't comment on the resale value, but my folks have the 32" Sony you mentioned and the PQ is very good.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a 5 yr old Tosh 65H80 with about 13000 hrs on it. It is used for everythng including as my primary PC monitor.

I had it ISF'd from the get go. Everything was fine until a few months ago when I noticed some "raster ringing" (looks like reverse C wrinkles in flesh tones).

I had my ISF guy Michael TLV (Michael Chen) re scope it. He noticed that the convergance was way off. This was probably contibuted to by creating new T & R rezes using "Powerstrip" directly on my HDTV rather than on my regular PC monitor and then moving them to the TV when they work.

Anyway, he re-calibrated it and it looks brand new.

This long story comes with a suggestion. Please visit www.keohi.com (the HDTV section access is at the botton of the home page)

This is a hangout for some of the best ISF'rs in North America and there is a forum that they answer questions in.

These guys may know of ways to min imize the burnin you are seeing and give you pointers on how not to make it worse.

Good luck,

Peter M.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been researching TVs for the past few weeks as I am making a purchase soon and I've narrowed it down to a CRT and a LCD RP. The two are the Hitachi 51F710 and a Sony 50" A10.

I love the PQ of CRTs over LCDs, I do a lot of PC Gaming and my work comp LCD doesn't even compare to my 21" CRT on my gaming PC. The only problem is I tend to game up to 8 hours straight some days if a game is good enough. If I were to get a TV I'd be doing 85% gaming, 10% DVDs and 5% cable.

Does burn in only occur if you are careless and happen to pause a game for like 5 hours or could it occur with just normal gaming? The HUD will dissapear and reload when the game loads so it won't be up for a whole 8 hours but a significant portion of the time it would be.

I'm leanind toward the LCD due to this one issue but if any of you game fanatics out there have an old CRT that is constantly gamed on tell me your experience with it

EDIT: I've been browsing through the thread some more and read the accounts of things like the Ghost Recon scope being burned in and such. I also hate stretching images so as much as I think the CRT PQ is better than LCD I guess I'm going with a Sony LCD.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi Deus,

I'm not a gamer but I do use my CRT Tosh 65H80 as my primary PC desktop.

It has about 13000hrs on it now and aside from making sure a screen saver is incurred after about 20min, I'm not doing anything special.

Back in 2001 they said have your set properly ISF'd, don't touch the brightness and contrast after its calibrated and you shouldn't have any problems aside from having the convergence tweaked every 3 or 4 years.

I followed those instructions and am BURNIN FREE.

If my TV was not in a diesignated room (since it's size dominates) I might consider the other technologies, but as long as repairing it is cost effective when the guns finally go, the only other display I might consider would be front projection.

Peter M.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

Just got a 57" RPCRT, and am very concerned about the burn in. I've read through this and several other sites about the ways to avoid it, and still have one question.

I understand the concern about high contrast leading to early burn in (making the brights brighter). I also understand that brightness and contrast are related to a certain extent.

However, I don't understand why the brightness setting (assuming the contrast is constant) should have any effect in burn in. If increasing the brightness just makes the darks a bit brighter -- if it's too high, it may make the pic seem a bit washed out, but I can't see why it would make burn in more likely.

So in these discussions, is it enough to concentrate on making sure that the contrast settings are correct, or do both settings really matter?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay, I'm not really sure if this is burn-in or not. I have one of those Samsung 30" slimfit CRT TVs. I have no idea how many hours I've watched on it; I bought it a few months ago. I watch 16x9 movies, 2.35:1 movies, and 4x3 TV as well, though I sometimes use stretch and sometimes use the side black bars, depending on what it is. Animation doesn't usually look too bad when stretched as live action would for some reason.

Here's the problem; last night I noticed what might or might not be burn-in, while watching Pitch Black. Its on the very right side of the screen, kind of like a stripe, but not really, more like sort of a long oval. It only appears when the area of that screen is completely black, and otherwise I don't see it at all, and I also don't see it when the TV is turned off either. When it is completely black in that area of the screen, what it looks like is sort of a glare that you might see from sunlight shining against the screen. I'm thinking it might have been from the side-bars from watching 4x3 content; however, the other side of the screen does not have this at all, and both would have been exposed to exactly the same conditions. I've also fooled around with the display sizes on my TV and put up the side black bars, but don't see this when the side black bars are present. So I'm not really sure if it actually is burn-in, or if its just some weird thing that I never really noticed before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
With RP CRT's it is always" burning in" when the set is on. On a white screen its just burning evenly. If you leave a stationary image on the screen its now burning in unevenly.

So if you leave most any image on the screen its" burning in". Leaving a white screen on the set for hours just lowers the life of the CRT's and burns the phosphors (evenly however)

The picture gets dimmer over time and lowers the life of the CRT's

Watching a normal TV picture with no stationary images, it has a very slow "burn in" and the CRT's may last 8-10 yrs. or more.

·
Registered
740 Posts
my dad watched 4 hours of fox news every day, so he got a very bad "live" and a huge fox logo burned into the set. the brightness and contrast was set down to below 20. he would never change his viewing habits for the tv as this is his living room and only tv over 20 inches. the tx was a 56 inch toshiba, and is not sitting in my garage unused it was replaced by a sony LCD projection.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Owned the tv for two years.

This tv was probably produced in mid 03, started using it in jan 2004.

It has the grey bars, and the brightness etc. was all set below half.

so it took two years to get to this point, which is horrible IMO

Sony 57 inch.

this sucks. can i even out the wear somehow? I would like to get another year out of this POS>

221 - 240 of 386 Posts