AVS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi,

It's not coming out of the tv at all. Sinc e it's an audio only program the signal is going from the disc to the coax cable on the dvd to the receiver and then rhe speakers,

You don't have to have the tv on at all since theres no video info. If your player was capable of playing dvd-a and also if you were interested in some of the video info on the disc, only then would you turn on your tv.

Just in case it was turned on by mistake, if you have already had it ISF'd your fine.

If you haven't you run the risk of taking years of life from the guns not to mention burin.

Peter.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a Hitachi 53" RPTV that's about 4 years old, and has started to show definite burn in as a result of watching a bit too much 4:3 material with the grey bars (my own fault, I know). Is there any way to know exactly which of the three CRT tubes are affected the most by burn-in? If there's only one tube involved that would still be cheaper than replacing the entire set, however if all three are equally involved, then I'd consider a new tv. Somewhere I heard that the green tube was more susceptible to this problem than the others but not sure if this is true or not. Any help would be appreciated...thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi Crauen,

I have a 2001 Tosh 65H80. I use it for everything including as a PC desktop. It is on about 8-10 hrs a day. Aside from the convergence wandering a bit every year (causes raster ringing in flesh tones or beige stuff and looks like wrinkles) I have 0 burnin because I had my set ISF calibrated at the beginning.

The most important part of ISF calibration is getting the tempreture of brightness and contrast down from about 8000k (when it comes out of the plant) to 6500k which is optimum.

Your burnin issue is caused by brightness and contrast being over 50%. I would make that adjustment yourself immediately and GOOGLE ISF for a tech in your area.

CRT units still provide the best PQ of all the technologies with LCOS comming on strong (but still expensive compared to CRT.

I have the convergence re done every 2 years and it gets rid of that raster stuff and make the set look brand new.

Anyway, bringing down brightness and contrast immediately should keep the burnin from ggetting any worse. I'm sorry but I can't answer the color gun question or even know if thats the answer.

Peter M.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Just for the record.....My Hitachi 57 XWX20B has mild burn in after about 36 months of use.

I have to point it out to people but i see it 24/7. It is only noticable during lighter scenes like blue sky ect..

A few facts about my watching habits and how the TV is set.....

1. The TV has been adjusted using Digital Video essentials.

2. Although I may not be a true video nut yet, and i may not have spent enough time adjusting { DVE puts me to sleep}.....brightness,picture and contrast are set down in the 35% range....so i think i had this part right..........wife complained that the pic. was too dark.

3. I stretched 4:3 to fill the screen for about the first two years using grey bars most of the time.

4. Over the last 12 months or so i stopped stretching 4:3 and watched it as 4:3 with black bars.

5. On average the TV would be turned on at about 6:00 PM for about 6 hours ........weekends and holidays it would get turned on for about 14 hours, all mostly in 4:3

6. Years ago i worked in an A/V store and the TVs would be left on all day. I don't remember one TV having burn in.

I just thought i would state the facts to try and help anyone out there. What bugs me the most is that i could buy two nice sets today for the money i spent three years ago!

If i could wind back the clock i would have purchased a smaller LCD TV for "all day watching" and limit the use on the big one.

·
Registered
233 Posts

Espo77 said:
Just for the record.....My Hitachi 57 XWX20B has mild burn in after about 36 months of use.

I have to point it out to people but i see it 24/7. It is only noticable during lighter scenes like blue sky ect..

I have nearly the identical situation here. My Hitachi 53 SWX10B also started to show mild burn-in after three years of use. I watched mostly 4:3 material and I can't stand to view it stretched, yet no one had ever warned me of anything called "burn-in" except when playing video games, or a static screen image for long periods of time. Now it has been over 4 years and I'm starting to watch more HD and DVD content, and because the center section of the screen is what is burned in, it is only when I go to widescreen (i.e. the Olympics) that I notice bands on the left and right side of the screen, where the grey bars were constantly left on.

I debated repairing vs. replacing the set, so I called a good service tech and confirmed that both the green and the blue CRT tubes were burned-in, moreso the green; the red tube is still picture perfect. I managed to track down replacement tubes and am opting to repair it for far less than it would be to purchase a new tv altogether, and if I can get another 2 to 3 years of life out of it, great! Now I'll have to be careful in how I use this toy, and will try to keep the 4:3 stuff to a minimum. Brightness and contrast have been turned down to around 50% (contrast 75%) since day one. My hope is that by the time this set is truly "old," the LCD / DLP technologies will have made significant advancements in picture quality and I can justify a change, but for now, this Hitachi puts out an awesome image, even with the burn-in.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi,

Your CRT based set which, according to experts, provides a picture quality that is only now starting to be approached by the still very expensive LCOS technology should be good for 12 to 14yrs of use (6hrs a day) if properly maintained.

Peter M.

·
Registered
233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermwilson /forum/post/0

Hi,

Your CRT based set which, according to experts, provides a picture quality that is only now starting to be approached by the still very expensive LCOS technology should be good for 12 to 14yrs of use (6hrs a day) if properly maintained.

Peter M.

This would depend greatly on how one defines a set that is "properly maintained," and exactly how I go about keeping it that way. I'm still going to watch a lot of 4:3 material but not quite as much as in the past - how do I keep the burn-in minimum to nill if I continue to use the grey bars on the sides, rather than stretching or zooming the picture? Also, program guide graphics, which I cannot get rid of, are etched into the screen as well from a home theater pc/recorder that a friend built for me. There is also a bit of burn-in from a station logo in the lower left corner of the 4:3 portion of the screen.

As I mentioned above, I turned the brightness (picture) down to 50% and contrast to 75% when I first got the set. If there's anything else you can recommend that I do to extend it's life, I greatly appreciate the advice - 12 to 14 additional years would be great but I hope to have some sort of newer technology display well before then, and the way I seem to be abusing the set (actually I don't think I've been all that harsh with it ;-) who knows how much more life it has. -Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Have A Rca Scenium Model# Hd65w20 And I Am Having Problems With It ,the Problem Is That When You Turn It On Theres Nothing On The Screen Accept A Dot In The Center,what Do I Do To Fix This Problem? Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi,

Thats not much info.

Is it new?

Which input?

Have you unplugged it completly and replugged?

Is it plugged to a power bar or wall or receiver or cable box or anything else?

Is it possible the input setting was changed by accident to a non active one?

Is there sound?

Could it have overheated due to lack of air circulation?

Have you called the manufacturer?

Why did you post it in a "BURN IN THREAD"?

Peter M.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Girlfriend watches Amimal Planet a LOT! And I just noticed slight burnin logo.

I thought it might be a smudge on the mirror(I have removed the SO CALLED glare shield and thought maybe I may have touched the mirror surface, but then I noticed it kinda had a shape of an elephant! YES it was their logo. I am upset , set is a sony 51ws520 and only

6 months old. I am going to send all these channel stations a letter about this. I noticed

that TBS has a logo, but it is reduced in video level and does not pose a problem. WHY cannot all logos be reduced in video level to help prevent burnin problems. Note I am a video tech and aware of burnins so my levels were reduced but I guess not enough!

When I was servicing early color cameras using vidcon tubes burnins occured and I would point the cameras at a white screen to help remove burnins, Sooooo it does work! and right now as I type I have a Full white screen on my RP TV. I will report my results.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi,

Have you O'deed on KippyNaya? Thats an excellent unit. Turn the Brightness and contrast down to 50% right now!!!!.

Whew, glad we got that done.

Next, Google ISF or Imaging Science Foundation and find a certified & respected calibrator in your area, (you can ask in the appropriate area of AVS for recommendations) and have your unit done after approximately 100hrs of breakin time.

Regarding CRTs. Respected display technology reviewers have suggested that the only technology that approaches the overall picture quality of a CRT unit are the relatively new LCOS or D-ILA displays (still pricey in comparison to CRT).

The following explanation re direct view and rearproj CRT was given to me as a non techie.

Direct view 1 Gun or tube that you watch directly.

CRT RPTV 3 Black & white guns each gun has a spearate color filter green,red,blue.

These are focused to a single spot on a mirror and reflected onto your screen.

The biggest problem with CRT RPTVs has been the fact that once you pass the 40" size their sheer bulk dominates any room they are in and are relatively ugly in the light of day and will screw up a potentially lovely decor.

On the other hand, if you can dedicate a media type room where you watch HDTV/DVDs, listen to Music and also Surf the Net with the family on the wide screen, as long as it's properly calibrated (payed for with the ton of money you saved over Plasma), it will last you well over a decade and provide images that your freinds with those skinny screens might just envy.

One last thing, I have a Tosh 65H80 (Oct 2000). It has been calibrated with touchups every few years. I use it for all of the Media room activities listed above. I can also honestly say that the set has been on for an average of 6hrs a day since I purchased it for $7000.00 Cdn and thanks to the ISF calibration there is not a hint of BURNIN.

Peter M.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Just put up grey bars or white bars for the side and don't display anything in the middle. How? Just unplug your STB from the unit when in 4:3 mode. The time it takes to "erase" the burn-in will be in direct proportion to the amount of time that was spent watching 4:3 content with the black bars

Can someone explain this, step by step, to me in layman's terms? I don't even know what a STB is.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi,

STB is short for Set Top Box. Usually provided by cable or satellite service provider.

The frustrating part of contributing to this thread is that every piece of equipment you have in your chain comes with an owners manual.

Anyone who has ruined one crt with burnin and now has a second and has no idea how to turn brightness up or down seems more interested in carrying on an online conversation than solving any equipment issues.

Before you post here again please read all your equipment manuals and ask questions that don't make you look like ???.

Peter M.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a 52 inch rear proj. CRT HDTV. And after only two or three weeks in my home I noticed a small yellow cloud in the picture at the bottom of the screen. I contacted the store we purchased the TV from and they sent a repairman out to look at it. He was at my house for about 4 minutes and immediately said that it is burn in and its not covered by the warranty. After calling the store and arguing with them for a while, they have agreed to send another repairman from a different shop to look at it. Now the yellow cloud has grown to cover most of the left half of the screen. It is very faint and only visible when the image on tv is white or light colored. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do? I'm somewhat knowledgable about burn in and have never watched anything with stationary images for a long period of time. Also if it were burn in, wouldnt it be an outline or image of something that was on the screen? I don't remember watching a tv program about yellow clouds. Sorry for the long post. Hope someone can help

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi,

Burin is usually defned and recognisable as a logo or line.

I suggest you Google the ISF Foundation. When you get to their website try and find an accredited tech that will send you an e-mail telling you that this is not burnin. Show this e-mail to whomever shows up.

You may also ask what they think it might be but ask acknowledging that they are not tv repair men.

GoodLuck,

Peter M.

PS: Make sure the brightness and contrast is set to 50% before the repair man arrives or it will give him ammo for the burnin accusation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

I have a burn-in of the animal planet logo! I stated this in a previous thread, I have been trying to remove move it using the all white mode on the screen. I think it has has faded a little ( or it is just convincing myself it has) I saw about a method called "SALT and Pepper screen" to help remove these burnin's. My Question is --- Is this just the noise pattern when viewing a channel with no signal?? Also how effectively does it work?

Thanks

Earl

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi Earl,

There are different degrees of burnin.

I don't know if any of these tricks work but if they don';t hurt the tv and don't cost a fortune.

You tell us how well it works.

Peter M.

Peter M.

·
Registered
439 Posts
So do LCD RPTV sets suffer to the extent you guys seem to say CRT RPTVs do?

I didn't feel like reading through 10 pages to see if it was mentioned.

I recently (3 weeks ago) bought a 42" sony LCD RPTV gen 3 model (component input, not hdmi)

i remember seeing in the instruction book they said it can happen and not to leave the same thing on the screen too long.

I'm in Australia and apparently consumers had phoned the free to air TV stations regarding burn i of tv networks logos on their sets.

Lately i've noticed the broadcasts cycle the watermark logo from on for a fair amount of time to off for a fair amount of time

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
No

261 - 280 of 386 Posts