AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up Master & Commander on Blu-Ray. I'll be taking some pictures of it later and give some impressions.

It's out in Europe Dec 5th but I was able to pick it up today already

I'll probably pick up Independence Day next week, looks like there haven't been delays here.

EDIT:

Pictures added

Specifications:

BD50

Runtime: 138 mins

AR: 2.35:1

Audio: English 5.1 DTS HD-MA / French 5.1 DTS / German 5.1 DTS

Features: Trivia Track / 6 Deleted Scenes / Trailers (Master & Commander/Eragon/Kingdom of Heaven/Live Free or Die Hard)

Impressions

Well, I popped in Master & Commander today and skipped through various chapters.

Picture:

Fox went with a High Bitrate AVC encode, probably around 30 average. While I skipped through the chapters I saw the bitrate meter jump up to 48MBps various times. Most scenes I saw were between 30 and 38MBps and overall did held up pretty well.

Master & Commander, thanks to the high AVC encode, can look incredibly sharp, but, unfortunately, it suffers from the same flaws as the DVD did. The Fog scenes were around 35MBps but it still suffers from macroblocking and an incredible amount of Grain. Now, we all know the Grain is part of the movie to make it look typical 17th century, but around 14.40 mins (DVD too) it's unbearable!

I remember the DVD had some speckles and dirt throughout the movie which were not cleaned up for this release, so I guess it's how Weir wants us to experience the movie. Colors look good throughout but you'll notice the filter is kind of washing them out here and there. Blacks are often rock solid but it does sometimes suffer from black crush.

Overall the movie looks good, but some scenes have no improvement over the DVD version eventhough it got a High bitrate encode.

I will probably give the PQ 3,5-4,0 out of 5

Audio:

WOW, I mean, WOW!!! Allthough I have a PS3 that does Core only, Dynamics are stupendous! We all know how the DVD sounded, well this BD version sounds even more incredible than it already did! There's plenty of LFE throughout the movie to make your subwoofer shake the house and upset the WHOLE neighborhood! This Disc will make your soundsystem sound like it costs twice as much as it did! If there is any Reference Title on AQ, Master and Commander is by FAR the very very BEST!

AQ a BIG 5 out of 5!

I have not watched any of the Extras so far, but there aren't many anyway!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Aww man, this is really gonna try my patience in waiting for a sub-$200 BD player.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coati858 /forum/post/12354031

Aww man, this is really gonna try my patience in waiting for a sub-$200 BD player.

Dude, you must hold the days of your life cheaper than I hold mine. It's easy to pick up a Blu-ray player for $350 or less. There's no way I'd deprive myself of many months of enjoyment for $150. But as my daddy always said "different strokes for different folks".

·
Registered
895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchR /forum/post/12353988

Picked up Master & Commander on Blu-Ray. I'll be taking some pictures of it later and give some impressions.

I'll probably pick up Independence Day next week, looks like there haven't been delays here.

You jerk.

Master and Commander and Wall Street are blind buys for me. I am truly envious.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Where exactly is "here"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchR /forum/post/12353988

·
Registered
227 Posts
The audio on this is OFF THE CHARTS. Better than Live Free or Die Hard in my book.

Video is very film-like, though I'm sure some will complain about grain and softness. Personally I like that there's no apparent smoothing or artificial sharpening.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncalfroper /forum/post/12354685

How much to ship the rest of us copies of this? When is Transformers coming out there on Blu?

Transformers won't be coming out on Blu and unfortunately Fox codes all their titles with a few exceptions here and there

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodguy /forum/post/12354710

The audio on this is OFF THE CHARTS. Better than Live Free or Die Hard in my book.

Video is very film-like, though I'm sure some will complain about grain and softness. Personally I like that there's no apparent smoothing or artificial sharpening.

I wonder how the "Fog scene" holds up on this release, cause the DVD was very very bad

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:

How much to ship the rest of us copies of this?

group buy?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

Quote:

How much to ship the rest of us copies of this? When is Transformers coming out there on Blu?

If you want Transformers, just get a Toshiba. I'm going to get the Sharp and be neutral. You coulda picked one up for $98. I have the A2 and it's been perfect for a year now. No reason not to be neutral with prices so good now.

·
Registered
227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchR /forum/post/12354769

I wonder how the "Fog scene" holds up on this release, cause the DVD was very very bad

You tell us, I don't have the disc around at the moment.

I was so freaked out by the totally engrossing transparency of the ambient noises of the ship that I couldn't go hunting for compression artefacts. I looked around the room more than once when the creaking planks sounded so lifelike that there was no way it could all just come from my speakers.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodguy /forum/post/12354894

You tell us, I don't have the disc around at the moment.

I was so freaked out by the totally engrossing transparency of the ambient noises of the ship that I couldn't go hunting for compression artefacts. I looked around the room more than once when the creaking planks sounded so lifelike that there was no way it could all just come from my speakers.

Can't right now, I'll be doing so tomorrow and post some pictures of the film, it's already 2.30AM, I'm off to bed now!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
This has been rescheduled for release in the US on February 5th, 2008 and it stinks that we have to wait more than two months to see it.

I wonder when Amazon will relist it?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
The 1.5 Mbp/s DTS from the DTheater sounded insane, so the DTSMA should indeed be off the charts.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts