AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchR /forum/post/12353988

Audio:

WOW, I mean, WOW!!! Allthough I have a PS3 that does Core only, Dynamics are stupendous! We all know how the DVD sounded, well this BD version sounds even more incredible than it already did! There's plenty of LFE throughout the movie to make your subwoofer shake the house and upset the WHOLE neighborhood! This Disc will make your soundsystem sound like it costs twice as much as it did! If there is any Reference Title on AQ, Master and Commander is by FAR the very very BEST!

AQ a BIG 5 out of 5!

Totally agree with this assessment. I have watched many a BD, this is numero uno in audio quality.

·
Registered
300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchR /forum/post/12353988

Picture:

Fox went with a High Bitrate AVC encode, probably around 30 average. While I skipped through the chapters I saw the bitrate meter jump up to 48MBps various times. Most scenes I saw were between 30 and 38MBps and overall did held up pretty well.

Master & Commander, thanks to the high AVC encode, can look incredibly sharp, but, unfortunately, it suffers from the same flaws as the DVD did. The Fog scenes were around 35MBps but it still suffers from macroblocking and an incredible amount of Grain. Now, we all know the Grain is part of the movie to make it look typical 17th century, but around 14.40 mins (DVD too) it's unbearable!

I remember the DVD had some speckles and dirt throughout the movie which were not cleaned up for this release, so I guess it's how Weir wants us to experience the movie. Colors look good throughout but you'll notice the filter is kind of washing them out here and there. Blacks are often rock solid but it does sometimes suffer from black crush.

Overall the movie looks good, but some scenes have no improvement over the DVD version eventhough it got a High bitrate encode.

I will probably give the PQ 3,5-4,0 out of 5

Wow, I had hoped for better than this. I don't suppose there's any hope that the 3-4+ month delay on the US version means it might not be exactly the same and perhaps be an improvement on the above, visually?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coati858 /forum/post/12360979

Wow, I had hoped for better than this. I don't suppose there's any hope that the 3-4+ month delay on the US version means it might not be exactly the same and perhaps be an improvement on the above, visually?

No, but it will work on the PS3 and 3-4 weeks after release it should also work on the Samsung's.

·
Registered
616 Posts
So far, I've resisted the temptation to replace any of my SD disks with Blu-Ray, but this one may win me over. Of all my SD disks, this has the best audio; I can only imagine what lossless audio would sound like. And there are definite artifact issues with PQ on my SD disk, particularly in the fog scenes, that upconversion doesn't help with. So I'll keep my eyes open for more reviews of this title.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Mitch, I suspect you're being a bit hard on the disc concerning the fog. I've seen the D-Theater tape about a half dozen times, myself. I bet I even know which fog banks caught your attention......oh, somewhere between minutes 15-30 when they first encounter le French? IMO, this part is some of the hardest to do well footage possible. I could see motion artifacts in the tape there but gave it a pass for bein' damn close on hideously difficult....fog. I can't think of anything more difficult to portray well than fog.

I've wanted to compare this BD to the D-tape ever since the very, very, very first time Fox announced it. Despite some foggy, fog....
I considered it one of the better D-tapes. The audio is boom-boom too. I really don't need a copy of the BD but I'll proably get one.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy /forum/post/12362950

Mitch, I suspect you're being a bit hard on the disc concerning the fog. I've seen the D-Theater tape about a half dozen times, myself. I bet I even know which fog banks caught your attention......oh, somewhere between minutes 15-30 when they first encounter le French? IMO, this part is some of the hardest to do well footage possible. I could see motion artifacts in the tape there but gave it a pass for bein' damn close on hideously difficult....fog. I can't think of anything more difficult to portray well than fog.

I've wanted to compare this BD to the D-tape ever since the very, very, very first time Fox announced it. Despite some foggy, fog....
I considered it one of the better D-tapes. The audio is boom-boom too. I really don't need a copy of the BD but I'll proably get one.

It's when they enter the fog to keep away from "Le French"

Overall the picture quality holds up well. I've put in the disc several times today,but I won't give any higher than a 4 out of 5 score. To each his own of course, but to me it's kind of annoying like the DVD was. I never owned D-Theater so I don't know anything about that, but 4 out of 5 is still a very nice score overall for such difficult scenes to shoot.

The Audio is Reference material for sure

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlindstr /forum/post/12357884

Ok, thanks for info. In that case I may as well wait for the Nordic BD which will be released in Dec 27th.

I have the Spanish BD Version of Master & Commander and it have the subtitles that you are looking, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Finnish.

The Spanish Version will be in stores oficially the 5th of December.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hallo,

just fiinished watching "Master & Command" and I hate to tell you - in many scenes it does not look any better than an upscaled DVD; there just isnt any fine Detail in the picture; even when the Sun is shining it looks fuzzy and blurry - I may a bit hard here but after seeing how god POTC looked, this is utterly disappointing - no HD-Wow-Moments whatsoever; also the Grain does not look like Film-Grain (like we are used to with HD) but more like DVD-Grain with MPEG-Artefacts built in; Video-Rating: 3/6

Audio: this is probably the best 5.1-Mix I have heard all year - reference all the way - nuff said; Audio-Rating: 6/6

Extra: why did Fox didnt port over the 3+ Hours of Material from the 2-Disc-DVD-Set? All we get are deleted scenes, a trivia-track and a map that shows you where the ships are at any given time in the movie

Extras-Rating: 2/6

Fox really dropped the ball here, they should have struck a new HD-Master

·
Registered
436 Posts
They did use a new master. I saw it projected at the Fox Small Theater on their backlot about a month ago. It was stunning. I'm not sure what it is you are seeing because nothing you are describing is anything like what I saw.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlanger71 /forum/post/12371428

Hallo,

just fiinished watching "Master & Command" and I hate to tell you - in many scenes it does not look any better than an upscaled DVD; there just isnt any fine Detail in the picture; even when the Sun is shining it looks fuzzy and blurry - I may a bit hard here but after seeing how god POTC looked, this is utterly disappointing - no HD-Wow-Moments whatsoever; also the Grain does not look like Film-Grain (like we are used to with HD) but more like DVD-Grain with MPEG-Artefacts built in; Video-Rating: 3/6

Audio: this is probably the best 5.1-Mix I have heard all year - reference all the way - nuff said; Audio-Rating: 6/6

Extra: why did Fox didnt port over the 3+ Hours of Material from the 2-Disc-DVD-Set? All we get are deleted scenes, a trivia-track and a map that shows you where the ships are at any given time in the movie

Extras-Rating: 2/6

Fox really dropped the ball here, they should have struck a new HD-Master

Also this movies isn't out already, is it?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe /forum/post/12355243

The 1.5 Mbp/s DTS from the DTheater sounded insane, so the DTSMA should indeed be off the charts.

cant wait to hear the canons fire in DTS HD Master

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodguy /forum/post/12359735

You have over 6000 posts here and have never seen a European komma?

were those c(k)ommas or 'decimal points'?
i didnt understand it either.

·
Registered
300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsiebling /forum/post/12371558

They did use a new master. I saw it projected at the Fox Small Theater on their backlot about a month ago. It was stunning. I'm not sure what it is you are seeing because nothing you are describing is anything like what I saw.

Maybe they're saving that for the US version?

·
Premium Member
23,782 Posts
did not realiase it was out either

·
Registered
186 Posts
Disappointed that they didn't port over the amazing extras from the DVD special edition. I have the one w/ the map that I bought on release day, and I'll be keeping that unless they release the identical extras on Blu-Ray. It's so disappointing how Fox treats their catalog releases. No extras and $40 retail. I'll wait until Fry's has this for $13.99.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts