AVS Forum banner

20061 - 20080 of 30594 Posts

·
Registered
20,221 Posts
This shouldn't have anything to do with adding an Atmos track for the UHD release though.

For the one we are referring to (Nolan) it does. While generally speaking you are correct, if Nolan has control over what is done then it’s a pointless discussion since he won’t do it until it matches his vision/needs.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
I would literally kill to have had Interstellar in Atmos....
Probably not worth it, though. It's unlikely that your prison would have a theatre kitted out with Atmos, and by the time you've served all of your murder sentence the world would have moved on and you might not be able to play it on the equipment of the day when you're released! ;)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
No, atmos only works with digital projections at the moment -- if a way to use atmos w/ 70mm comes out, I'm sure we'd see him use it.
Do you know why that is? Is there just not enough digital bandwidth on the film or something to include an atmos track?

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Sadly no Silence of the Lambs and Princess Bride, 2 titles not available in UHD via discs yet.
I bought Silence of the Lambs when it was on sale previously. :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Transformers in 4K HDR on the AppleTV 4K is a tad underwhelming. Definitely doesn?t have the pop or razor sharpness of The Last Knight, but that was to be expected I suppose. Color is fairly good, but the overall image seems a bit dark. I am wondering if that is due to the DV to HDR10 conversion the ATV does. Would be interesting to compare it to the disc when it is a available.

Reactions: galonzo

·
UHD Addict
37,066 Posts
Vudu has a couple of decent prices on UHD movies, for Thanksgiving. Just bought Heart of the Sea for $8. Figured I'd give it a try.
Thanks for the heads up!! I just purchased Heart of the Sea and also Live, Die Repeat.
I see Heart of the Sea has HDR10. And I hope Live, Die, Repeat gets HDR10 soon too. Or preferably a UHD BD release since I would double dip on that title.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Just saw the new Justice League film in the new AMC Dolby theater here in Austin Texas.

Easily the most amazing theater experience of my life. Audio detail was insane with rumbling chairs... Above-head audio was not quite as noticeable as I would like but still added more immersion and better than IMAX.

The projector was a visual overload. Dolby Vision HDR was jaw dropping to me... and so much better than my JVC RS400's HDR haha... And better than my LG OLED's Dolby Vision I believe.

Expanded color spectrum was super noticeable and gorgeous. Color definition in dark scenes just amazing. And the sharpness was hands down the best I've ever seen on a big screen. Oh and the best ANSI contrast I've ever seen with unbelievable pop and depth.

Highly recommended if you have a Dolby theater in your area.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!! I just purchased Heart of the Sea and also Live, Die Repeat.
I see Heart of the Sea has HDR10. And I hope Live, Die, Repeat gets HDR10 soon too. Or preferably a UHD BD release since I would double dip on that title.
It was one of the first movies to be upgraded to UHD on VUDU, and one of the few that did not actually get a disc release. I bought the blu-ray, digital UHD (before itunes upgraded!), and I would certainly buy the disk if offered. The opening scenes is a true test for a sub.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
It was one of the first movies to be upgraded to UHD on VUDU, and one of the few that did not actually get a disc release. I bought the blu-ray, digital UHD (before itunes upgraded!), and I would certainly buy the disk if offered. The opening scenes is a true test for a sub.
This title is offered on disc:

https://www.amazon.com/Heart-Sea-Ultra-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B01G3MH8OY/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1511362148&sr=1-1&keywords=In-the-Heart-of-the-Sea+4k

·
Registered
288 Posts
Watching Godless right now. Getting some of those weird grey flashes on all black transitions between scenes like on mindhunter. Besides that the actual content looks pretty good. Whole opening is basically a giant torture test for your tv though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Picked up Valerian and Hitman's Bodyguard UHD BDs yesterday.

I've seen people on this thread complain about UHD BDs w/ DV having raised black level problems.

I own 7 or 8 UHD BDs w/ DV and have never noticed raised blacks.

When I watched Valerian in DV on my 65C7+Oppo203 the black levels in both the movie content and letterbox black bars looked terrible (like black on a crappy old LCD display). Right after I finished Valerian I put in Transformers to see if it had the same problem, but it looked fine.

I then put the Valerian disc in my Samsung UBD-K8500 to test HDR10 on my 65E6 and blacks looked normal.

Today I watched Hitman's Bodyguard in DV on UHD BD (65C7+Oppo203) and didn't see any raised blacks.

So is there something wrong with Valerian's DV, or am I just now noticing what others have been complaining about?

·
UHD Addict
37,066 Posts
Man this thread has really gone downhill. Not even close to a place to reliably check for HDR updates.

New Dolby Vision show Godless on NETFLIX.
??? Do you ever check the first post in the thread? That has all the info about the HDR titles.

20061 - 20080 of 30594 Posts