AVS Forum banner

21601 - 21620 of 30608 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Looks like some potentially monster news..

Best Buy now has a preorder up for "The Incredibles" (2004)in 4k. This would be the 1st Disney catalog title to come to the 4k format. Let the flood gates open 🔓
I’m hoping WALL-E gets some love...

Reactions: JasonQG and galonzo

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Rented Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk and all I can say is it’s different. I Like the movie and 60fps is, well takes getting use to. Would like to see more films in this format but I don’t it would work with a movie with a lot of special effects? I could be wrong but maybe certain things could look fake? On another note received my copy of Justice league from Best Buy today and still have yet to view my copy of Thor Ragnarok.
HFR / 4K60 is closer to reality than anything 24FPS. What’s fake are TV algorithms and frame interpolation.
Bring it I say. It’ll take some getting used to, but I see HFR as the next big push past 8K.
I hope we see more titles @ 4K60. 4K24 can be an immersion killer, and downright ghetto looking, depending on the content.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Its pretty equal to BvS, but Id give the nod to BvS bc of how dark that movie is with inky blacks. You wont find much ink in Justice League even though theres some dark scenes here as well. I dont wanna use the world milky blacks but bats cape for example here is full of shadow details and not as black as BvS cuz of that grayness. Colors are reserved too and hdr not very prominent and no i didnt compare it with bluray cuz i dont care what that looks like.
I'm 5 mins in and I can see what you mean about the inky blacks!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,186 Posts
Its pretty equal to BvS, but Id give the nod to BvS bc of how dark that movie is with inky blacks. You wont find much ink in Justice League even though theres some dark scenes here as well. I dont wanna use the world milky blacks but bats cape for example here is full of shadow details and not as black as BvS cuz of that grayness. Colors are reserved too and hdr not very prominent and no i didnt compare it with bluray cuz i dont care what that looks like.
Lol. Yeah, but how does it compare to VHS?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
HFR / 4K60 is closer to reality than anything 24FPS. What’s fake are TV algorithms and frame interpolation.

Bring it I say. It’ll take some getting used to, but I see HFR as the next big push past 8K.

I hope we see more titles @ 4K60. 4K24 can be an immersion killer, and downright ghetto looking, depending on the content.

I especially hope nature documentaries will go to 60fps, I can't imagine how good something like Planet Earth II would have looked in 60fps.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I'm 5 mins in and I can see what you mean about the inky blacks!

I did not see Justice League in theaters but felt this might be the intent of the director to not make the movie look super dark like previous entries and a bit lighter and easy on the eyes to compete with Avengers...

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
So like how it was on Batman vs Superman?
I liked that particular grainy look since it was meant to be a dark movie anyway!

Yeah about like that but not as dark overall. There are some very impressive highlights with bold colors inside them. Particularly in the fight scenes with deep reds and bright blues. I enjoyed the movie but it somehow felt short for some reason. Audio was good, but not spectacular IMO. It wasn't super aggressive which is probably good for this movie.

Shadow detail and the colors of Cyborg's suit along with the incredible reds of Steppenwolf's axe and brilliant blues of Flash's lightning scream HDR. The movie was just graded rather muted outside of the superhero scenes. It wasn't what I expected but it had its moments.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Lol. Yeah, but how does it compare to VHS?
The VHS you say? Well all I can say is, its not as good as the dvd copy :D DVD is just super solid and pq is not as sketchy as the VHS lols

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I especially hope nature documentaries will go to 60fps, I can't imagine how good something like Planet Earth II would have looked in 60fps.
Absolutely. This title in particular had some major panning issues @ 24FPS. Totally ruined some of the shots.
I was like “Why, in 2018, am I having to watch a freaking slideshow? Especially on a documentary.”

And don’t give me the “it’s filmic” argument. It’s ghetto.

It’s time. Been time.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
So like how it was on Batman vs Superman?
I liked that particular grainy look since it was meant to be a dark movie anyway!

Yeah about like that but not as dark overall. There are some very impressive highlights with bold colors inside them. Particularly in the fight scenes with deep reds and bright blues. I enjoyed the movie but it somehow felt short for some reason. Audio was good, but not spectacular IMO. It wasn't super aggressive which is probably good for this movie.

Shadow detail and the colors of Cyborg's suit along with the incredible reds of Steppenwolf's axe and brilliant blues of Flash's lightning scream HDR. The movie was just graded rather muted outside of the superhero scenes. It wasn't what I expected but it had its moments.
True, Flash's lightning was electrifying! I had to squint my eyes at times bc of it... I just didnt wanna bring it up cuz of the lightning in that other movie that was deemed so underwhelming and started a flame war between LCDs and OLEDs :)

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Absolutely. This title in particular had some major panning issues @ 24FPS. Totally ruined some of the shots.
I was like “Why, in 2018, am I having to watch a freaking slideshow? Especially on a documentary.”

It’s time. Been time.
I'm ready for sure.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
True, Flash's lightning was electrifying! I had to squint my eyes at times bc of it... I just didnt wanna bring it up cuz of the lightning in that other movie that was deemed so underwhelming and started a flame war between LCDs and OLEDs :)
Actually the movie looks like HDR photography.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I haven't seen Justice League in HDR yet but if it comes anywhere close to BvS, I'll be very happy. I think that movie has fantastic HDR. Here's an example comparison gif I made:

(click for higher quality)

·
Registered
562 Posts

It’s time. Been time.
Absolutely agree! I feel that it's getting more important with 4K film as well, when you go from 4K detail to some comparatively terribly small amount in motion just because the frame rate is so low.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I much, much prefer 24fps over anything higher for fictional content. For documentaries, I don't think there's much of a reason to keep it at 24fps, since the benefit of a lower frame rate is all about taking the audience away from reality into a larger-than-life feeling world, and there's no reason to try to convey that sensation in non fiction.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #21,619
I don’t see it listed at all in ITunes for purchase.

I'm not familiar with the apple 4k tv. does it have Netflix or something? we've got a new 2018 Q8 owner saying hes watching season 1 of Stranger things in HDR through his apple tv but I'm 99.9999% sure season 1 isn't HDR anywhere.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I'm not familiar with the apple 4k tv. does it have Netflix or something? we've got a new 2018 Q8 owner saying hes watching season 1 of Stranger things in HDR through his apple tv but I'm 99.9999% sure season 1 isn't HDR anywhere.
No, Stranger Things isn’t available from iTunes. It’s possible that if he’s a new ATV4k user, he’s got it set to output everything, including SDR, to HDR. There’s a setting somewhere they have to change to match native dynamic range.

21601 - 21620 of 30608 Posts