AVS Forum banner

21661 - 21680 of 30606 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Steve Yedlin has yet to answer, so I think it's unlikely he will visit the forum.

He did say that goal was to keep the detail ILM created for those space scenes and a flat black space would of crushed that detail.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I especially hope nature documentaries will go to 60fps, I can't imagine how good something like Planet Earth II would have looked in 60fps.
It looked fantastic when it was broadcast here in the UK in its original 50fps. But I only had access to the SDR version.

IIRC the BBC did the same with Planet Earth 2: they created a 24fps for the worldwide disc release partly due to very poor support for 50fps on TVs worldwide. It's a shame; here in the UK every TV is multi-standard and will play 24, 25, 50, 60 etc. But IIRC when they sell the same models in America they drop or disable 25/50fps support.

·
Registered
680 Posts
My justice league from Walmart disc came today from the promotion of buy the digital version and get the disc too. It does come with a digital code.

Hopefully the offer more promos likes this.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: hobbs47

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I should have specified that I got a refund on my subscription so cant browse the app anymore.
Why not? I know that Netflix had a stupidly backwards attitude and refuse to allow you to even browse unless you're a customer, but Amazon don't have that ethos, at least not here in the UK. With Amazon, everything should be browsable and searchable to everyone, and you can see what is HDR and what is 5.1 audio etc, and only when you actually try to watch, are you stopped.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I'm with you here. Granted, Billy Lynn was my only real experience with this (and I guess Meridian?).

Here's the thing, to me the 60fps actually destroyed the immersion/realism, rather than increased it, paradoxically. Here's why...because everything is SO real, that to me it looks like a set, and people play acting. Especially in that scene where they go into the Afghan's hut. The "realism" screams out to me that this is just a set. Who has ever watched a stage play and felt like it was an absolute recreation of real life? Theoretically, a stage play should be the MOST real entertainment experience by these standards. But it isn't...you know it's not a real city, real office, etc. Because you can SEE that it's not.

That was largely my experience watching Billy Lynn, and it was especially egregious in a period piece like Meridian. I have to think it would be death to anything period, and screams "actors playing dress up." The 60fps reminded me more of a Saturday Night Live sketch in terms of reality than that I actually felt like I was immersed.

Obviously there's a cultural/conditioning element in the idea that the slight limitations of reality in 24fps makes it easier to accept it as real. I imagine it's sort of like why a beautiful woman looks more beautiful from 10 feet away than getting 6 inches from her face, or watching a magic show would be more rewarding from the front row than standing directly on the stage one foot in front of the magician. The bottom line is it's NOT real...it's actors, sets, costumes, fake dialogue, etc. So you need to have some space for your mind to fill in the gaps. Whether it's something in our brains, or just something we've been conditioned to, the "filmic" aspect of 24fps creates enough openings of missing data for my mind to fill in the holes and accept it as real. It's like I can accept it as real because I've subliminally accepted the proposition that I can't get 100% of the data.

Now, I will say that there may be better executions that could open my mind up to it more. When I got a 3D TV, one of the first things I watched was the 3D version of Dial M for Murder. In my mind, that's not actually very good Hitchcock, and the 3D was both inappropriate to the story, and executed poorly in a way that didn't advance the storytelling. If that was all I ever saw in 3D, I certainly wouldn't consider that there was ANY potential for 3D to be well used in storytelling, and no matter what you think of 3D, that's clearly not the case. Billy Lynn was, in my opinion, a terrible movie, and poorly served by 60fps, so I'll reserve the possibility that it was the "Dial M for Murder" of 60fps, and there may be more value in it for the future.

For example, I had never thought about it much from a documentary perspective, and agree that might be a wonderful application.
I think found footage movies are the perfect type of movie to use a higher frame rate on. Although I think 48fps may be a better compromise to still give the slight hint of a fictional universe.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Steve Yedlin has yet to answer, so I think it's unlikely he will visit the forum.

He did say that goal was to keep the detail ILM created for those space scenes and a flat black space would of crushed that detail.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
I disagree given proper technology to display it properly but I'm not sitting in the chair making these decisions.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I'm confused how a pure black space would of crushed detail?...to each there own I guess.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
So even though Murder On the Orient Express is pretty high on my demo list right now... nothing comes close to Altered Carbon. Three episodes in and the PQ is just relentlessly jaw dropping and oooozing HDR. The blacks and whites are just untouchable extremes and deliever the goods tenfold. Theres hardly a dull moment picture wise. Highly recommended! Its helps cuz I enjoy the show as well.
One curious thing to note since the pq and the world is compared to Blade Runner 2049 alot and for good reason... Ive noticed that both show and the movie feature one other language besides english on signs etc and thats Hindi... It tells me this is much more that a coincidence. What do you guys thinks?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Look out the window, the sky is not pure black lols...
From the movie it's looking at space from space..not space from a planets surface.A little different don't ya think?

Reactions: reallynotnick

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I'm confused how a pure black space would of crushed detail?...to each there own I guess.

It wouldn't. But people more familiar with older grading tools don't know you can raise the brightness of shadow detail without raising the black floor.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Finally got my hands on Mad Max. Holy crap, this is easily one of the best HDR presentations I've seen. Especially during the first major chase scene, with all the flames and especially the dust storm. Just looked beautiful. This is definitely one movie I prefer HDR over 3D (3D often wins for me)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Finally got my hands on Mad Max. Holy crap, this is easily one of the best HDR presentations I've seen. Especially during the first major chase scene, with all the flames and especially the dust storm. Just looked beautiful. This is definitely one movie I prefer HDR over 3D (3D often wins for me)

Fury Road is fabulous. The fire CGI is the only letdown!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Fury Road is fabulous. The fire CGI is the only letdown!

I had heard that before but didn't think it was a letdown at all, and the vast majority of that fire isn't CGI. Fire should be very bright, and more red/orange than most movies show it. Most movies don't get that right in HDR, probably because the cameras they are using are clipping that highlight information. The more whites and pale yellows you see in the core of photographed fire are the result of clipping brighter color information. You usually need a lower exposure to retain those brighter, more vivid reds and oranges.

However they filmed this movie, they did a much better job retaining the highlights without clipping than most do. It just probably looks odd to some people because it's just not what we're used to seeing in movies, at all. But that's what makes good HDR so special imo.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I had heard that before but didn't think it was a letdown at all, and the vast majority of that fire isn't CGI. Fire should be very bright, and more red/orange than most movies show it. Most movies don't get that right in HDR, probably because the cameras they are using are clipping that highlight information. The more whites and pale yellows you see in the core of photographed fire are the result of clipping brighter color information. You usually need a lower exposure to retain those brighter, more vivid reds and oranges.

However they filmed this movie, they did a much better job retaining the highlights without clipping than most do. It just probably looks odd to some people because it's just not what we're used to seeing in movies, at all. But that's what makes good HDR so special imo.

Rewatch the scenes with the fire blasted from the guitar. It's pure CGI and looked out of place. The othet fire scenes are fine.

21661 - 21680 of 30606 Posts