AVS Forum banner

21761 - 21780 of 30636 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Confirmed. US Netflix here. I know there has been non-original content available in HDR in other regions, but I haven't been aware of any on US Netflix until this. Great to see, especially considering Disney is planning to make their own streaming service (or possibly just take over Hulu if the FOX deal goes through) so you wouldn't think they would want to help their potential competitor with stuff like this. Pretty cool.
Confirmed in US Netflix. 2160 4K DV here. :)
Same here. Just noticed the movie.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #21,762
Pirates 5 looks very good on Netflix in 4k HDR, but there is clearly a loss in texture/sharpness from the disc. Maybe even slightly less vibrant as well. Overall though I think most people would be more than satisfied with this type of quality. Had you never seen the disc you'd probably not even know the difference.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I haven’t seen the disc and I am not a fan of the Pirate movies, but I can’t stop watching this movie. It looks that good to me. Watching on my B7 now and will check it out on the 940E when I get to the bedroom. Blacks are great, daytime scenes are nice and vibrant and colors look incredible.

·
UHD Addict
37,085 Posts
I guess I'll need to unwrap my Pirates 5 UHD BD sometime. I got it on sale around Thanksgiving. But I haven't even opened most of the titles yet from back then.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I haven’t seen the disc and I am not a fan of the Pirate movies, but I can’t stop watching this movie. It looks that good to me. Watching on my B7 now and will check it out on the 940E when I get to the bedroom. Blacks are great, daytime scenes are nice and vibrant and colors look incredible.

Man when I watched it before, it was sdr only. Didn’t really like the movie that much. Might give it a look though to see.

Edit: it’s only HD on my B7A. What’s up with that?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Man when I watched it before, it was sdr only. Didn’t really like the movie that much. Might give it a look though to see.

Yeah something fishy is going on. It’s Dolby Vision on my LGs but it’s regular HD on my 940E. Very strange.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
So I got an update for Prime Movies on my iPhone earlier today, but based on the traffic on the last two pages, I don't need to go check for 5.1 on HD, no?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts

That's weird. It's DV for me on my C6, which I would assume is the same app as yours.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
That's weird. It's DV for me on my C6, which I would assume is the same app as yours.

POTC was DV on Netflix for me earlier today, it’s only HD now. LG B6.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #21,772
I can confirm that it's back to HD for me also. Weird, but the HD version is actually Sharper with better texture. I think the over-compression of 4k can have bigger impact than a slightly compressed good 1080p source. Makes sense since 1080p is running a quarter of the pixels, no hdr, no WCG, but had 50% of the bitrate to work with than what the 4k HDR version has (15mbps compared to 7mbps)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I can confirm that it's back to HD for me also. Weird, but the HD version is actually Sharper with better texture. I think the over-compression of 4k can have bigger impact than a slightly compressed good 1080p source. Makes sense since 1080p is running a quarter of the pixels, no hdr, no WCG, but had 50% of the bitrate to work with than what the 4k HDR version has (15mbps compared to 7mbps)

You do also have to take into account the 4K version is H.265 while the 1080p version is H.264 so in theory a 15.6Mb/s vs 7Mb/s should be pretty even in the over-compression category, but sounds like that's not the case from what you're seeing. Maybe the encode was bad and that's why it was pulled?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Same for me. POTC was 4K DV yesterday afternoon but was only HD (non-HDR) lastnight and this morn. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
135 Posts
just got a notification from BB that my Star Wars TLJ 4k bluray has shipped! Also got a $2 refund from the preorder price, lol, not bad. I didn't make it to the theater so I'm really pumped to watch this on my OLED. I was also able to avoid any spoilers somehow, so just a few more days to wait.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
For those not impressed with the way Star Wars: The Last Jedi looks (HDR and lack of detail), the majority of the film was shot on 35mm with anamorphic lenses with a few other formats sprinkled in here and there. That pretty much explains the lack of sharpness, as anamorphic will never give you that tack like sharpness that some people incorrectly expect with all 4k material.

I saw it at a Dolby Cinema and thought it looked fine. HDR was very subtle and overall presentation was rock solid. The disc pretty much reflects that. That’s why it’s getting high marks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
For those not impressed with the way Star Wars: The Last Jedi looks (HDR and lack of detail), the majority of the film was shot on 35mm with anamorphic lenses with a few other formats sprinkled in here and there. That pretty much explains the lack of sharpness, as anamorphic will never give you that tack like sharpness that some people incorrectly expect with all 4k material.

I saw it at a Dolby Cinema and thought it looked fine. HDR was very subtle and overall presentation was rock solid. The disc pretty much reflects that. That’s why it’s getting high marks.
But the movie sucks no matter how good it looks. It's a nope for me.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
But the movie sucks no matter how good it looks. It's a nope for me.

I disagree but whatever lol. No point going back and forth. A lot of people think it was bad but I enjoyed it a lot for whatever reason. Only one part could have been eliminated IMO but this is not the place for that.

I think it looked fine when I watched it on Vudu in HDR.

21761 - 21780 of 30636 Posts