AVS Forum banner

21861 - 21880 of 30645 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Same thing in Atlanta. We have a few Dolby Cinema's and they have made me go the theaters again.
I just looked, and the closest DC to me is over 100 miles. I think the only thing that would make me drive to Charlotte would be a 4K restoration of the original Star Wars Trilogy, unspecialized, with the soundtracks meticulously remastered in Atmos. But my. wife would kill me.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
I just looked, and the closest DC to me is over 100 miles. I think the only thing that would make me drive to Charlotte would be a 4K restoration of the original Star Wars Trilogy, unspecialized, with the soundtracks meticulously remastered in Atmos. But my. wife would kill me.
I don't have one near me either so I go to the only IMAX theater in town. Going to see Pacific Rim: Uprising today in IMAX 3D.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't have one near me either so I go to the only IMAX theater in town. Going to see Pacific Rim: Uprising today in IMAX 3D.
Hour and a half for me to the nearest Dolby Cinema. It's worth it once or twice a year. Otherwise I do IMAX in town, or just don't go.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
With HDR being a better experience at home I don’t go to the theater except for very special movies. Star Wars, Harry Potter universe, avengers and a few other select titles. I just think the home experience is better.

·
Registered
97 Posts
With HDR being a better experience at home I don’t go to the theater except for very special movies. Star Wars, Harry Potter universe, avengers and a few other select titles. I just think the home experience is better.
^^^^What He Said^^^^

I couldn't agree more.

65C7 + UHD BR (HDR/DV) = mucho happiness!!

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
You must have insane patience then. I don't have the patience to wait for HDR, plus sometimes 3D is a better experience imo (such as with Ragnarok). But either way, watching on a massive screen is something unique I can't get at home, and I also particularly enjoy watching with a crowd of fans of the material for big opening showtimes. But ultimately the main reason I go to the theater is either that I don't want to wait any longer, or I don't want to be spoiled. Plus I like financially supporting the studios that make the kind of movies I want to see. The box office are the numbers that everyone sees. Those are the numbers that matter the most to hollywood, so I want to make sure I contribute to that for the projects I support.

If it's good I'll eventually see it in HDR anyway, so it's not like I'm going to the theater instead of watching in HDR, and for the not-so-good movies, I don't really care if I miss out on HDR.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I wish there was as much to do about highlighting the after sales for the DVDs, and streaming markets.

All kinds of headlines about how the box office did, but you have to really dig for part/or all, the after market sales. Would like to see after 3/6/12 months, 1/2/3 years of release.

So - such and such for theater movie did $385 million box office, but only $150 Million after sales.
Versus a made for resale movie, that only made $50 million box office, but $385 million after sales.

Now which had the more success ?

Oh, then there's the after market for paraphernalia for some movies - what did this part of the after glow, bring in ? (Includes possible gaming associated programs, which can also be quite lucrative.)

So, marketing people, how about letting us all in on the TOTAL big picture ?

·
Registered
18,203 Posts
My Last Jedi UHD arrived today. Will be interesting to see what that galaxy far, far, away looks like in 4K HDR. Here's hoping the force is strong with this one.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

Yeah I am really interested to see if Samsung's Cinema LED will take off as that's one tech I can really see giving home viewing a run for its money. If I end up going to Bangkok this year I will for sure have to watch a movie at that theater.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
You must have insane patience then. I don't have the patience to wait for HDR, plus sometimes 3D is a better experience imo (such as with Ragnarok). But either way, watching on a massive screen is something unique I can't get at home, and I also particularly enjoy watching with a crowd of fans of the material for big opening showtimes. But ultimately the main reason I go to the theater is either that I don't want to wait any longer, or I don't want to be spoiled. Plus I like financially supporting the studios that make the kind of movies I want to see. The box office are the numbers that everyone sees. Those are the numbers that matter the most to hollywood, so I want to make sure I contribute to that for the projects I support.

If it's good I'll eventually see it in HDR anyway, so it's not like I'm going to the theater instead of watching in HDR, and for the not-so-good movies, I don't really care if I miss out on HDR.

At the theater I deal with a softer picture, dimmer picture, people rattling bags and crunching on nachos, people talking, people with babies and kids. Plus buying the movie on UHD is almost the same price as Dolby cinema. Like I said the home experience is better and I only go for very special titles. It’s not about patience, last Jedi is on disc now only 4 months after it debuted in the theaters. Also Hollywood won’t miss my dollars believe me. I never went to see black panther for example. The only theater in my area with better sound IMO is Dolby cinema which is about 30-40 minutes away. IMAX doesn’t use LFE so I think they lack low end punch.

I know you are one of those guys who holds on to 3D with a clinched fist but I don’t and I only watch 2D anymore.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just ordered the Trilogy. Amazon has it for $38.23 with an extra $1.26 taken off and free same day delivery.

When you receive your Mummy Trilogy blu-rays, could you please advise what is the expiration date for redeeming these 3 movies?

Individually, these 3 movie titles show 6/30/2018 as the last day to redeem. However, the UPC code for the Trilogy set does not show up in NBCUcodes.com.

This Trilogy set is on my short list, but with all of the upcoming 4K Blu-rays (Matrix, Private Ryan, Gladiator, Die Hard, Jurassic Park Collection), I would like to push back buying some of the older movies if possible without losing online redeeming.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
It’s not about patience, last Jedi is on disc now only 4 months after it debuted in the theaters.
4 months is a damn long time when you're a huge Star Wars fan

IMAX doesn’t use LFE so I think they lack low end punch.
That's certainly not the case at my IMAX.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
My Last Jedi UHD arrived today. Will be interesting to see what that galaxy far, far, away looks like in 4K HDR. Here's hoping the force is strong with this one.
Just finished it, and thought the PQ was A-level. HDR added depth of color and lots of shadow detail, though I have a projector, so I don't really get the bright brights. Thought the TrueHD soundtrack was mastered a little low. Thankfully, I have power to spare, so it's not an issue at all. As far as surround mix, I currently only have a 5.1 setup, but the rears and sub were all working hard tonight.

Definitely one that makes me excited to show off my theater, and impatient to go 5.1.4

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
4 months is a damn long time when you're a huge Star Wars fan

That's certainly not the case at my IMAX.
Didn't you read my posts? I go to the theater for certain movies and specifically mentioned Star Wars. Plus 4 months is super short. It used to take nearly a year to get a home release, now we see pre-orders starting about a week after launch and the disc in stores a few months after it debuts.

Most IMAX theaters don't use an LFE channel if they are going by the real IMAX standard. m\My IMAX is a 12.0 setup using custom built speakers and the lack of any subwoofers is very noticeable to me. It's all bass management alone through their large main speakers. It's loud but without any of the kick in the chest. Dolby Cinema destroys IMAX in audio on this fact alone(not to mention Atmos is better than IMAX's version of immersive audio IMO). The LFE is a lot more impactful to me in a Dolby theater. That said, no theater really goes below 30hz on the frequency response as it's prohibitively expensive in a room that large to make it work. At home I can go down below 20hz thanks to room gain, down near 15hz. So the ULF is there and since it's a much smaller space I get a lot more chest kick than a theater can provide. The transducers in Dolby Cinema help give the illusion of low frequency response but if that was gone it wouldn't have that same feel. A theater is more about high output to fill the space understandably.

With modern home theater gear, a large HDR TV, and the easy availability of content it's harder and harder to get me to the theater. Like I said before, it takes a special movie to get me out there. Let us not forget too that no theater can match the contrast ratio and black levels of my B7A OLED which contributes a huge amount to the quality of the picture.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I finished last Jedi a little while ago. I was holding out hope for reference as I stated in previous posts three reputable sites gave it stellar reviews for audio and video.

I watched the DV disc version and do not agree. I would say above average picture quality at best. I agree with the person who says sound was mastered to low.

Hopefully the 3D version will be better. As a life long star wars fan and watching it for the third time I was actually kind of let down. I think emotions got the better of me when I watched it in the theater.

Don't flame me but after reading a mark hamiel interview I think the last three should of stayed in the vision of Lucas.

Disney has one more to make or right.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
When you receive your Mummy Trilogy blu-rays, could you please advise what is the expiration date for redeeming these 3 movies?

Individually, these 3 movie titles show 6/30/2018 as the last day to redeem. However, the UPC code for the Trilogy set does not show up in NBCUcodes.com.

This Trilogy set is on my short list, but with all of the upcoming 4K Blu-rays (Matrix, Private Ryan, Gladiator, Die Hard, Jurassic Park Collection), I would like to push back buying some of the older movies if possible without losing online redeeming.

Thanks
Such a good and bad thing. I am double dipping on every single one of those movies (that Matrix price better come down!).

I finished last Jedi a little while ago. I was holding out hope for reference as I stated in previous posts three reputable sites gave it stellar reviews for audio and video.

I watched the DV disc version and do not agree. I would say above average picture quality at best. I agree with the person who says sound was mastered to low.

Hopefully the 3D version will be better. As a life long star wars fan and watching it for the third time I was actually kind of let down. I think emotions got the better of me when I watched it in the theater.

Don't flame me but after reading a mark hamiel interview I think the last three should of stayed in the vision of Lucas.

Disney has one more to make or right.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
That sums the 4K blu-ray up perfectly. There is really good detail in clothing, but the PQ is nothing memorable and is on the lower end of the movies I own. That doesn't mean it looks bad, it just doesn't really benefit from HDR and the image is not razor sharp.

I mentioned in the official Star Wars review thread the same thing about the audio. I usually listen at -15db, and I raised this to -5db to match the sound I am use to.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,497 Posts
That sums the 4K blu-ray up perfectly. There is really good detail in clothing, but the PQ is nothing memorable and is on the lower end of the movies I own. That doesn't mean it looks bad, it just doesn't really benefit from HDR and the image is not razor sharp.
There is improved detail in the 4K version of The Last Jedi but some it is still lacking. The Island shots are soft. Still, it is better than the BD.

The colors are disapointing. In the theater, I was struck by the deep and virbrant reds evident in the ground splash on chapters 46 ant 47 (why the hell are there 53 chapters :p).
The reds are bland and dark on the the disk.

Assuming the the movie was P3, what happened ? Is there a way to get real metrics on the colorspace used?

- Rich

21861 - 21880 of 30645 Posts