·
Oppo Beta Group
11,496 Posts
The file is Murder on orient express and this is the data from media info

Mastering display color primaries :
BT.709
Mastering display luminance :
min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2

As you see Mastering display color primaries is set to BT.709. Shouldn't be set to 2020?

That is interesting. There are movies that visually don't seem to be using BT.2020.

What tool was used to obtain this information?

- Rich

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,496 Posts
MediaInfo v18.03.1

Same situation with Labyrinth and Warcraft...
This may be a field that is not reliably filled in. I have tried 6 ISOs and they all show a mastering display 709.

- Rich

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
A couple people in the Vizio P thread mentioned that Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is in DV on Netflix (I'm not home to confirm). If so, that marks the first non-original Netflix content to use HDR I'm aware of. I hope it's the first of much more to come.
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I don't see this one as DV with my 2016 LG OLED, even though shows work in DV. Is this one expected to work on the LGs?

Thanks,
Darin

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I don't see this one as DV with my 2016 LG OLED, even though shows work in DV. Is this one expected to work on the LGs?

Thanks,

Darin

Earlier people were playing it in Dolby vision but it was pulled. I wonder if it’s back up again. I’m not home to look.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

Thanks,
Darin
Yeah, they pulled it before I got home from work that day, so I never saw it. I just checked now, and it's still HD SDR.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
MediaInfo v18.03.1

Same situation with Labyrinth and Warcraft...

There does appear to be quite a few that are that way, there are others that list DCI-P3 off as the mastering display. Honestly I have no clue what display they would be using to master HDR that is 709 so I have found that pretty confusing myself. I question if that's either correct, wrong, or it's someone setting it to 709 as some way to ensure the 709 colors are all accurate and the further out colors are just whatever they are (though trying to psych out a TV seems like a recipe for disaster)

Reactions: stefanop

·
UHD Addict
37,092 Posts
I loves a good shopping spree. What'd ya buy?
Saving Private Ryan
Knowing
The Matrix
Thor: Ragnarok
Justice league
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
It
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2
Unforgiven
Close Encounters of the Third
Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets

Reactions: RagtopFE

·
Registered
184 Posts
The file is Murder on orient express and this is the data from media info

As you see Mastering display color primaries is set to BT.709. Shouldn't be set to 2020?

Strange, no bt709 on mine:

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main [email protected]@High
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 1 h 53 min
Bit rate : 55.2 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.278
Stream size : 43.9 GiB (99%)
Writing library : ATEME Titan File 3.8.12 (4.8.12.0)
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2

What does MadVR say ??

·
Registered
237 Posts
Strange, no bt709 on mine:
What does MadVR say ??
I googled it, it's a software for video playback. I don't want to install it. Please, don't blame me.

The Orient Express I bought is for Europe market, maybe some header datas are not the same. I saw P3 in yours.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
If you want test your display dynamic or static tone mapping performance.

Play Netflix Rapture, particularly rap artist Nas episode. There is a lot of shots of the sun. If the sun doesn't become a white blob, but retains it's round shape with a yellow/orange glow in the sky surround it. Your display is tone mapping properly.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
Both Forbes and Blu-ray.com reviewed the Greatest Showman and both say the disc is top notch!
Couldn’t agree more! Exceptional color, contrast and the limited amount of blacks are inky-> truly impressive stuff from a PQ standpoint and probably in my top 5 for WCG/HDR. I will say that the movie itself....felt like a bit of a drag, I am not a huge musical fan but enjoyed la la land far more than this one as a film.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Both Forbes and Blu-ray.com reviewed the Greatest Showman and both say the disc is top notch!
After seeing the reviews I'm tempted to get the disc but I wanted to boycott Fox discs because none of them are redeeming 4k digital copies anymore.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
After seeing the reviews I'm tempted to get the disc but I wanted to boycott Fox discs because none of them are redeeming 4k digital copies anymore.

That’s a minor thing to me but I can see your point of view on it. Once I have the disc I don’t necessarily need the digital copy in UHD as I have a UHD disc player on every HDR TV I own, a total of 3. Do you have a specific need for the digital copy to redeem in UHD?

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
I never use any of my "digital copies". I've paid for a movie which I want to watch on my big telly with my good amp and speakers. Why would I ever want to watch it on my telephone?

22041 - 22060 of 30640 Posts