AVS Forum banner

9061 - 9080 of 32183 Posts

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
I am no expert and Pacific Rim looked and sounded terrific - the colors were excellent and there are some scenes that really pop.
I just think that X-Men Apocalypse overall was more towards the Shallows in the sharpness category.
Anyone get to watch X-Men First Class in UHD yet and have any opinions? I'm thinking of picking that one and Pacific Rim tomorrow. Apocalypse is coming from Amazon so it will be a few days. The Shallows tonight, can't wait. :eek:

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Anyone get to watch X-Men First Class in UHD yet and have any opinions? I'm thinking of picking that one and Pacific Rim tomorrow. Apocalypse is coming from Amazon so it will be a few days. The Shallows tonight, can't wait. :eek:
Your jaw will drop with The Shallows.

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
How does Pacific Rim on disc compare to the DV version on Vudu? People have said the DV version is the best of the best.
Hmm, well I don't see how something streamed at ~20Mb/s could ever look better than ~80Mb/s off a disc, with the same codec. Any improvement in the HDRness due to DV's scene-by-scene parameters would [surely, IMHO] be more than offset by the vastly lower bitrate of the streamed version.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I also received the 4K UHD Blu-ray of X-Men: First Class and Jupiter Ascending (which is one of my favorite movies no matter what anybody else thinks :D ) this past weekend. I plan to watch First Class tonight and I will let you know about the HDR quality later.:)

·
Registered
652 Posts
How does Pacific Rim on disc compare to the DV version on Vudu? People have said the DV version is the best of the best.
Hmm, well I don't see how something streamed at ~20Mb/s could ever look better than ~80Mb/s off a disc, with the same codec. Any improvement in the HDRness due to DV's scene-by-scene parameters would be more than offset by the vastly lower bitrate of the streamed version.
I think we're well past the point of real world perception differences in streamed vs disc at this resolution. DolbyVision vs HDR10 differences are much more apparent than bitrate IMO. There are many people in the owners threads who have DV/HDR10 sets that will tell you the same.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just imported The Shallows from the US (doesn't seem to be out here in EU until December and was probably cheaper too lol) after all the positive feedback. First UHD Bluray to own, can't wait to check it out.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Agree. Astounding. No player, so with a Sony all I've seen is the Amazon, Netflix, and a couple Ultra titles. Hibana Spark is beautiful. I saw someone below raving on Daredevil, but at least on HDR10, Hibana Spark was much more impressive. Not that there was anything wrong with Daredevil.
Daredevil looks ok but I thought the show was a tremendous turd and can't watch it. So after I finished season 1 feeling like I wasted my time, I will not be watching season 2 at all when HDR is available for it. It's just so boring to me. Same with Hibana Spark. Now Man in the High castle on Amazon deserves to have a season 2 which I believe is coming. I also liked Red Oaks but I haven't heard of a season 2...maybe it won't get one who knows.

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
I think we're well past the point of real world perception differences in streamed vs disc at this resolution. DolbyVision vs HDR10 differences are much more apparent than bitrate IMO. There are many people in the owners threads who have DV/HDR10 sets that will tell you the same.
Unfortunately I can't take their word for it since it has been proven that some DV TVs don't display HDR10 properly and have improper tone mapping. Some of which may not have been fixed yet for all I know which is a problem at the present time when doing these comparisons. I wish this wasn't the case.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Daredevil looks ok but I thought the show was a tremendous turd and can't watch it. So after I finished season 1 feeling like I wasted my time, I will not be watching season 2 at all when HDR is available for it. It's just so boring to me. Same with Hibana Spark. Now Man in the High castle on Amazon deserves to have a season 2 which I believe is coming. I also liked Red Oaks but I haven't heard of a season 2...maybe it won't get one who knows.
To each his/her own. I actually like Daredevil much better than Red Oaks. I couldn't get past the first episode of Red Oaks. I also couldn't get past the first episode of Marco Polo. I'm holding off on watching Luke Cage until it's available in HDR and then I'll give it a try. I also liked The Man in the High Castle but it's the only Amazon original series that I've liked. I didn't like any of the others I tried when I had Prime. I cancelled Prime and will only get it for a month when the 2nd season of The Man in the High Castle becomes available.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
To each his/her own. I actually like Daredevil much better than Red Oaks. I couldn't get past the first episode of Red Oaks. I also couldn't get past the first episode of Marco Polo. I'm holding off on watching Luke Cage until it's available in HDR and then I'll give it a try. I also liked The Man in the High Castle but it's the only Amazon original series that I've liked. I didn't like any of the others I tried when I had Prime. I cancelled Prime and will only get it for a month when the 2nd season of The Man in the High Castle becomes available.
Yeah I guess I just got into the raunchy humor of Red Oaks much more than the melodrama about an upstart law firm, a vigilante that is half dead every time he tries to be a super hero, and a villain that wasn't menacing to me at all.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Yeah I guess I just got into the raunchy humor of Red Oaks much more than the melodrama about an upstart law firm, a vigilante that is half dead every time he tries to be a super hero, and a villain that wasn't menacing to me at all.
You clearly didn't get very far 😏

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

·
Banned
72 Posts
The problem with Daredevil PQ is that noise, that horrible disgusting noise.

Is this on purpose, is this a Post production effect. Is this suppose to look cool ?

The HDR look nice (after increasing my Brightness level) but god, I can't stand so much Noise.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
You clearly didn't get very far 😏

Watched all of season one and it never changed from that formula. Boring as watching paint dry. I had to force myself to watch it. I never felt tension or that feeling you get when you can't wait to see what happens next. The characters have no chemestry, some of the acting is downright bad, and I simply am not made to care about any of it. *shrug*

The problem with Daredevil PQ is that noise, that horrible disgusting noise.

Is this on purpose, is this a Post production effect. Is this suppose to look cool ?

The HDR look nice (after increasing my Brightness level) but god, I can't stand so much Noise.
I wonder if it's an effect of shooting in low light all the time. I didn't find it that bad or distracting.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Watched all of season one and it never changed from that formula. Boring as watching paint dry. I had to force myself to watch it. I never felt tension or that feeling you get when you can't wait to see what happens next. The characters have no chemistry, some of the acting is downright bad, and I simply am not made to care about any of it. *shrug*

I wonder if it's an effect of shooting in low light all the time. I didn't find it that bad or distracting.
Really hard to imagine that is how you felt about Wilson Fisk after seeing the whole season.

Is DD in HDR yet?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I just watched the first few minutes of Ghostbusters (2016). I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised by the PQ and HDR on this film. I haven't watched it the entire way through, but would not expect it to get worse.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Watched all of season one and it never changed from that formula. Boring as watching paint dry. I had to force myself to watch it. I never felt tension or that feeling you get when you can't wait to see what happens next. The characters have no chemestry, some of the acting is downright bad, and I simply am not made to care about any of it. *shrug*

This is exactly how I felt about Marco Polo, boring as h....

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Really hard to imagine that is how you felt about Wilson Fisk after seeing the whole season.

Is DD in HDR yet?

Yes season 1 is but not season 2 for some reason.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
This is exactly how I felt about Marco Polo, boring as h....

Yeah that is another super boring show. It's just not exciting at all. I like the set pieces and architecture used but that's about it.

Reactions: morphinapg

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Watched Warcraft again tonight and it looks great in Dolby Vision!!!

65JS8500, P50-C1, K8500, SB3851 Soundbar, Nvidia Shield, PS4

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Watched Star Trek and while it looked nice in a lot of scenes, it felt like it had an element of fakeness to the HDR grade that makes me feel like they didn't go back to the source to extract the extra color information that was already there, but hand tweaked what they already had to make lights look brighter and colors more vibrant in some spots. For example, I noticed a lot of clipping in the specular highlights on most characters' skin that just shouldn't have been there if this was proper HDR. And any improvements to the dynamic range seemed to be more subtle than I've seen in other movies as well, which suggests to me that they simply boosted the levels of the brightest colors to make them pop more, but didn't boost them too much to avoid obviousness to the tweaking.

Movie still looked good, and looks better than the original Blu-ray, but wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

9061 - 9080 of 32183 Posts