AVS Forum banner

19901 - 19920 of 30604 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Titanic was announced today to have been remastered in Dolby Vision 3D and 2D and will be in theaters for 1 week in December. Keep in mind, theater hdr and home hdr are separate grades, no word yet if a home grade was also done. James Cameron did say the results were stunning.
I'm sure he would say that :)

"Don't let go. Never let go."..... he lets go. :)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Not to mention, unsure what you mean by "screwed up color settings". When I use Masciolas HDR disc and calibrate the One S and One X I can actually get better color results then when I had my Oppo 203. Blasphemy I know
RGB Limited/Full is messed up. Has been since day one.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
And so will everyone else in a couple of days to a week.
The point being made is that not everyone has access to preview updates and may not know a fix is available there and even if it is, it's still a problem for them.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
The few UHD BD titles I tried on my XB1X had no audio issues with Atmos or DTS:X.
The problem they mentioned was when trying to play Atmos via bitstream they get disc errors and it won't start. They switch it so that the Xbox decodes the audio and it plays the disc fine(but no atmos audio to the AVR). On Netflix trying to play Atmos will crash the netflix app. I don't own an Xbox anymore so I don't know what either issue could be at all.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
It may have already been mentioned, but Bestbuy has a lot of Black Friday titles for $9.99 - $14.99. A few to note: Wonder Woman, Spider Man, and Transformers.
Do you know if they will also be available online because there's no way I'm stepping foot near there on Black Friday.

Reactions: ataneruo

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
How so? As I said, hasn't been an issue for me at all...
disclaimer: the full/limited bug may be in addition to the one I describe here. But, it's detailed in Vincent Teoh's review of the Oppo 203 player here .
For comparison, one of the cheapest 4K Blu-ray players on the market today, Microsoft’s Xbox One S, gets this wrong (at the time of writing, May 2017). The game console decodes all content to RGB, which on its own isn’t an issue, but it does so with the wrong matrix, resulting in incorrect color reproduction. OPPO’s player, like most on the market, outputs the video in its native Y/Cb/Cr space, meaning that the color decoding step here is performed by the display. Although the console does have an option called “Allow YCC 4:2:2″ in its menus, this appears only to convert the internally decoded RGB back to Y/Cb/Cr; the erroneous color decoding step is still performed beforehand. (Thanks to Florian Freidrich for both the color bars test pattern via the Samsung test disc, and the tip-off).
[...]
At first glance, we were surprised at how little the error in hue was in real content relative to the color bars, but the longer we looked, the more damning the effects of the console’s incorrect decoding became: the entire scene became more monochromatic, with all of the water appearing in one tone.

·
UHD Addict
37,066 Posts
The problem they mentioned was when trying to play Atmos via bitstream they get disc errors and it won't start. They switch it so that the Xbox decodes the audio and it plays the disc fine(but no atmos audio to the AVR). On Netflix trying to play Atmos will crash the netflix app. I don't own an Xbox anymore so I don't know what either issue could be at all.
I did not have that issue with my XB1X. I saw no errors when bitstreaming Atmos and DTS:X from the UHD BDs I tried. And I had no problem getting Atmos from the few Netflix streaming titles.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I know the difference between Full and Limited. So thanks for the very thorough explanation of the exact issue?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I'm not too familiar with the issue but since I hear it has raised blacks I would assume the Xbox is doing the full to legal range calculation twice perhaps? So instead of HDR being in the 64-940 range, it shifts to the 119-869 range?

You could certainly solve something like that by adjusting your brightness and contrast, although you'd lose some bit depth still.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the issue but since I hear it has raised blacks I would assume the Xbox is doing the full to legal range calculation twice perhaps? So instead of HDR being in the 64-940 range, it shifts to the 119-869 range?

You could certainly solve something like that by adjusting your brightness and contrast, although you'd lose some bit depth still.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
That's not the issue we are talking about. The raised blacks has been fixed (was an error introduced system wide at the end of October for just HDR video content and is now patched).

Apparently there is some sort of color issue that I have not encountered at all and his response was filled with no details so...

Mrtickle provided a link but I have never seen the issue described by Vincent either.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
That's not the issue we are talking about. The raised blacks has been fixed (was an error introduced system wide at the end of October for just HDR video content and is now patched).

Apparently there is some sort of color issue that I have not encountered at all and his response was filled with no details so...

Mrtickle provided a link but I have never seen the issue described by Vincent either.

It could be display dependent too for all we know. Though that shouldn't be the case I have no other ideas.

·
Registered
441 Posts
For any classic Metallica fans the trailer is just about as good as it gets. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIY6zFL95hE
Preach the gospel there brother!

"One" is my favorite Metallica song. At the concert here in Atlanta this past July at Braves stadium, I almost lost it when they played it.

I still own Punisher #1-25 from like 1987 or whatever. The mix of that song and the trailer were indeed perfection.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Watched the first disc of Westworld and no problems to speak of. However lets talk about the video quality. I's not good IMO. I think it looks soft(no or very little benefit from 4k resolution), it seems to be drained of color and very bland looking and doesn't use much of the expanded color range at all, has heavy artifacting/grain/noise whatever you want to call it in low light scenes, has limited shadow detail in some scenes, has limited highlights that aren't very bright due to the overall dull look of everything, and overall it doesn't seem to get much benefit from the UHD format. Maybe some of this is on purpose and how they want the show to look, maybe some of it is due to the upscale... I don't know the reason but I'm not a fan of how it looks so far. Very disappointed there. Comparing a few scenes back and forth between the 1080p and UHD release you can see it's a bit brighter and maybe slightly sharper but it's not the upgrade it should be.

The show itself is pretty cool with an engaging story line and is very well acted. I have no complaints about that. The audio is pretty good too being Atmos and all.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
285 Posts
Do you know if they will also be available online because there's no way I'm stepping foot near there on Black Friday.

For what it’s worth someone on the Software Deals thread said that a BB employee said that the deals would also be available online. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see. I’m with you though, no way I’m going anywhere near BB on Black Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Just finished Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets on the AppleTV 4K. Fun film and absolute reference quality video. I honestly can not imagine how much better the UHD-BD could look. I will definitely pick it up next week to find out though.

19901 - 19920 of 30604 Posts