AVS Forum banner

19921 - 19940 of 30636 Posts

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Just finished Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets on the AppleTV 4K. Fun film and absolute reference quality video. I honestly can not imagine how much better the UHD-BD could look. I will definitely pick it up next week to find out though.
The movie does have some great visuals. The 3D in theaters was fantastic, but I could tell it would probably look great in HDR. Kind of disappointed in the lack of 3D Blu-ray for it considering the 3D was so well done, but I might consider renting it in 4K at some point to check out the HDR. Didn't really care enough for the movie to buy it though.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The movie does have some great visuals. The 3D in theaters was fantastic, but I could tell it would probably look great in HDR. Kind of disappointed in the lack of 3D Blu-ray for it considering the 3D was so well done, but I might consider renting it in 4K at some point to check out the HDR. Didn't really care enough for the movie to buy it though.
I am a sucker for Luc Besson's work. I agree this isn't his finest effort, but I at least had fun watching it. That's all I ask from this kind of film.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I am a sucker for Luc Besson?s work. I agree this isn?t his finest effort, but I at least had fun watching it. That?s all I ask from this kind of film.
True. I felt that Dane Dehaan was a terrible choice for that character. Movie would have been a lot better with someone else in his role. Also, the whole scene with Rihanna's character (about 30mins) could be cut and it wouldn't affect the movie's story in any way.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
True. I felt that Dane Dehaan was a terrible choice for that character. Movie would have been a lot better with someone else in his role. Also, the whole scene with Rihanna's character (about 30mins) could be cut and it wouldn't affect the movie's story in any way.
Total agreement regarding Dane DeHaan. Very mis-cast role. Rihanna's character was really more for entertainment filler rather than drive the story. While not necessary I did enjoy it. The biggest surprise for me was Cara Delevingne. I was not expecting much from her, but she was easily the best part of the film aside from the visuals.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Total agreement regarding Dane DeHaan. Very mis-cast role. Rihanna?s character was really more for entertainment filler rather than drive the story. While not necessary I did enjoy it. The biggest surprise for me was Cara Delevingne. I was not expecting much from her, but she was easily the best part of the film aside from the visuals.

How are the special features? I usually buy movies for iTunes Extra, regardless of how good the movie was or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Watched the first disc of Westworld and no problems to speak of. However lets talk about the video quality. I's not good IMO. I think it looks soft(no or very little benefit from 4k resolution), it seems to be drained of color and very bland looking and doesn't use much of the expanded color range at all, has heavy artifacting/grain/noise whatever you want to call it in low light scenes, has limited shadow detail in some scenes, has limited highlights that aren't very bright due to the overall dull look of everything, and overall it doesn't seem to get much benefit from the UHD format. Maybe some of this is on purpose and how they want the show to look, maybe some of it is due to the upscale... I don't know the reason but I'm not a fan of how it looks so far. Very disappointed there. Comparing a few scenes back and forth between the 1080p and UHD release you can see it's a bit brighter and maybe slightly sharper but it's not the upgrade it should be.

The show itself is pretty cool with an engaging story line and is very well acted. I have no complaints about that. The audio is pretty good too being Atmos and all.
I completely agree with your video quality analysis. It’s sort of shocking considering the show looked so good streaming on HBO. I was expecting a reference quality UHD disc, but instead it is not much better than the 1080p counterpart. I love the series so I’m still happy I own it, but it’s not the leap I was hoping for.

·
UHD Addict
37,088 Posts
I completely agree with your video quality analysis. It’s sort of shocking considering the show looked so good streaming on HBO. I was expecting a reference quality UHD disc, but instead it is not much better than the 1080p counterpart. I love the series so I’m still happy I own it, but it’s not the leap I was hoping for.
I still haven't looked at mine, but I'm glad that the UHD BD of Westworld was cheaper than the 2K BD.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cmdrdredd

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Just finished Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets on the AppleTV 4K. Fun film and absolute reference quality video. I honestly can not imagine how much better the UHD-BD could look. I will definitely pick it up next week to find out though.

Oh thanks for reminding me of this release. I’ll have to check it out.

Reactions: Balthazar2k4

·
Registered
7,114 Posts

I’m really liking the show. Especially the trippy repeats of each character’s day with the slight edits to various roles for each of the hosts etc. great sci-fi atmosphere.

Later on in the show there are more things happening outdoors that look a bit better. The explosions for example are much better than the 1080p version.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Agree. And if you own a TV prown to banding (like my ef9500), Westworld will make it pop! Looks as good or better in 1080 streaming on Vudu.

6P - AVR5810 - EF9500 - Dish - Xbox1S

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
How are the special features? I usually buy movies for iTunes Extra, regardless of how good the movie was or not.
About an hours worth. Mostly behind the scenes stuff. I haven't watched any of it yet.

Reactions: Mr Berry

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Thanks. I was hoping maybe there was a playlist or channel or something. Hopefully some good stuff will show up here.
Looks like that's on the horizon. Here's what they said:
Enhanced HDR search functionality is definitely on our list of things to implement. As we continue to receive more HDR content, we'll also be introducing some newly curated HDR channels. Stay tuned for updates!

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I am a sucker for Luc Besson's work. I agree this isn't his finest effort, but I at least had fun watching it. That's all I ask from this kind of film.
I'm a long way behind in my backlog of film review podcasts so only recently listened to one where he was interviewed for the promotion of Valerian. He was in great spirits and there was a lot of interest from fans of the Fifth Element. He was good at answering listener questions - like "If you want a sequel to Leon, then just watch Leon again! He's dead, I can't make a movie about the plant!".

The best thing was that he finally, at long last, gave an answer to the massive plot-hole in Taken: Who's driving the boat?!:eek: (At the end of the film, Liam has killed a whole boatload of kidnappers, but the boat remains on its course, moving at quite a pace. One would imagine that any boat captain who was aware of the relentless slaughter happening on board would try to escape. Liam himself doesn't seem to want to investigate the bridge. If the boat is not being driven, it is going to crash.)
Besson confirmed that the boat driver was listening to music through earphones and was therefore understandably oblivious to the repeated bursts of automatic gunfire in close proximity. This answer, however, fails to address Kermode's sub-question: "If it's somebody (driving the boat), don't you need to go and kill them?"
(link)

:smile:

19921 - 19940 of 30636 Posts