AVS Forum banner

19941 - 19960 of 30603 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Vimeo now supports HDR10 HEVC. And unlike YouTube, they actually show a badge indicating the video has HDR. Unfortunately, like YouTube, I don't see a way to search for HDR yet.

It says it works on Apple products now. Hopefully support for Android/Chromecast and other apps are coming.

https://vimeo.com/blog/post/luminous-colors-stunning-high-quality-hdr-arrived
They didn't mention it in their main blog post, but they also support HLG HEVC uploads. Which I believe means people with certain cameras like the Panasonic GH5, the Sony a7RIII, and other Sony high end camcorders can upload directly to Vimeo straight out of the camera with no editing, mastering, transcoding, etc...

https://help.vimeo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015382768-Uploading-HDR-videos

·
Registered
256 Posts
And this issue is now fixed for everyone.

Pretty quick fix, unlike that other issue with elevated blacks that still persists. ;)
Well, I believe we are talking about HDR10, which has been out forever. I was surprised that they had issues with static metadata in the firstplace.;)

·
Banned
449 Posts
Well, I believe we are talking about HDR10, which has been out forever. I was surprised that they had issues with static metadata in the firstplace.;)
Completely understandable, since this is a console first, and a media device second. All of their efforts were appropriately directed towards the gaming aspect.

As far as that other issue with elevated blacks on a certain HDR format, there's really no excuse for why it is still occurring.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Completely understandable, since this is a console first, and a media device second. All of their efforts were appropriately directed towards the gaming aspect.

As far as that other issue with elevated blacks on a certain HDR format, there's really no excuse for why it is still occurring.
Sure but the UHD BD playback was hyped a bit by their marketing team and when it didn't work correctly for so very long, and really still doesn't because of black levels...it's a problem and a very big one when you can buy UHD BD players for $200 now. A lot of people upgraded from launch day Xbox consoles because of the UHD playback or bought it instead of a PS4 for that usage and well...disappointment is all I can say to describe it. Did they at least fix the HDR bug for Netflix where HDR is on full time? PS4 still has this issue. Doesn't affect me as I use the Nvidia Shield for that.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Sure but the UHD BD playback was hyped a bit by their marketing team and when it didn't work correctly for so very long, and really still doesn't because of black levels...it's a problem and a very big one when you can buy UHD BD players for $200 now. A lot of people upgraded from launch day Xbox consoles because of the UHD playback or bought it instead of a PS4 for that usage and well...disappointment is all I can say to describe it. Did they at least fix the HDR bug for Netflix where HDR is on full time? PS4 still has this issue. Doesn't affect me as I use the Nvidia Shield for that.

What do you mean that UHD BD playback was bad for so long?
I've been using the One S as a UHD BD player since last October and never had a single issue. It was as good as if not better than the Phillips and Samsung player I had for a bit. Never worse.
The elevated black issue only occured in the last week of October and was fixed in the beta stream a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
UHD Addict
37,066 Posts
The XB1X, XB1S, and PS4 pro all still have the netflix HDR issue.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I've been using the One S as a UHD BD player since last October and never had a single issue. It was as good as if not better than the Phillips and Samsung player I had for a bit. Never worse.
The elevated black issue only occured in the last week of October and was fixed in the beta stream a couple of weeks ago.

Not the black issue. Converting everything to RGB yet getting the colours wrong. See this post . Florian Friedrich's credentials are impeccable.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts

Many discs wouldn't work for early adopters, bitstream support took forever, poor colors as compared to stand alone players (mentioned above), now elevated blacks and if what you said is correct, the fix isn't public which is just idiotic on Microsoft's part.

I see. But is it visible to the naked eye?
I have not been able to tell the difference when watching UHD BD.

It could be for people with properly calibrated displays and have a discerning eye for it. Can't say everyone will but knowing it's not correct can be an issue for the OCD among us.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,950

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Many discs wouldn't work for early adopters, bitstream support took forever, poor colors as compared to stand alone players (mentioned above), now elevated blacks and if what you said is correct, the fix isn't public which is just idiotic on Microsoft's part.

It could be for people with properly calibrated displays and have a discerning eye for it. Can't say everyone will but knowing it's not correct can be an issue for the OCD among us.
So basically if you are a spec sheet warrior, it would bother you whether or not you can actually see it!
Lol must be a miserable way to live!
I couldn't see the difference with the Philips or Samsung player when I tested it last year.

The Xbox fix is public.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Vimeo now supports HDR10 HEVC. And unlike YouTube, they actually show a badge indicating the video has HDR. Unfortunately, like YouTube, I don't see a way to search for HDR yet.

It says it works on Apple products now. Hopefully support for Android/Chromecast and other apps are coming.

https://vimeo.com/blog/post/luminous-colors-stunning-high-quality-hdr-arrived
Something interesting I came across:

If viewing from an environment that does not support HDR10, our player will deliver wide color gamut (increased color) playback files. For devices that do not support advanced color technologies in any capacity, we’ll automatically default to standard SDR playback (the norm).
https://help.vimeo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015301027-Watching-HDR-Videos

So on devices that don't support HDR on Vimeo yet, it looks like you can still get the benefits of BT2020.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts

The fix is public as of today...

Also, HDR is calibrated on my display and I can not find or see this RGB issue. Literally stared at reference HDR material and all of Masciolas HDR Color patterns and not a single visual defect.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
Vudu 4k hdr along with the blu ray playback work fine now on Xbox x...movies looked good to me, no difference between the samsung player, but I want to see the difference between disc, apple tv and vudu...I thought atomic blonde was a much more stable picture on scenes with heavy coloring like bright pink on the disc vs atv4k, but its not that big of a difference. Might just be the DV to HDR conversion on the fly the apple does, but more likely its the high bandwidth of the disc that makes it superior. Though, if I didn't have the disc I would be just as happy.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Watched The Hitman's Bodyguard tonight on the AppleTV 4K. Pretty average film with a problematic encode. I would place the HDR grading in the average category. Color was great, but contrast was blown-out in places and there was a significant amount of banding (especially in the blown-out scenes with a sky backdrop). I am doubtful it will be much better on disc, but I will not be picking it up to find out.

Reactions: Mr Berry

·
Registered
680 Posts
if the full season of the punisher is as good as episode 1 it could be the best marvel series yet. can't wait to get home tonight to watch more episodes. in DV and HDR10.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
So basically if you are a spec sheet warrior, it would bother you whether or not you can actually see it!
Lol must be a miserable way to live!
I couldn't see the difference with the Philips or Samsung player when I tested it last year.

The Xbox fix is public.

Because maybe I’m one of the people who Can see it and for all you know don’t want inaccuracies before the display. Keep on insulting people for actually wanting things to be working correctly. The problems are/were there and not made up and it is perfectly fine to call a spade a spade.

This conversation is over by the way.

Reactions: mrtickleuk
19941 - 19960 of 30603 Posts