AVS Forum banner

19961 - 19980 of 30645 Posts

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Yep. Punisher looks incredible in hdr. Just in like the first couple minutes alone when you see punisher sniping from El paso at night and it's super dark and you see that bright moon... It's fantastic hdr.

Can’t wait to watch it now

Reactions: morphinapg

·
Registered
3,720 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Because maybe I’m one of the people who Can see it and for all you know don’t want inaccuracies before the display. Keep on insulting people for actually wanting things to be working correctly. The problems are/were there and not made up and it is perfectly fine to call a spade a spade.

This conversation is over by the way.

That's just being overly picky. You wouldn't know it was a problem until someone told you it was.
I respect the people that take time and energy to do the scientific tests but I don't get it when they over exaggerate an issue and ignore others.
For example Vincent Teoh in his recent One X and Q7 setup video recommended to set the Xbox to 10-bit. It's been discussed already that setting it to 10-bit causes SDR sources to not output 4:4:4.
Same with the Forbes fellow that claims that he spends way too much time testing UHD BD player but isn't aware that there was already a fix for it when he wrote the article albeit on the Beta channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
UHD Addict
37,095 Posts
It is not a bug. That’s how they want it to behave. Probably the same rationale that Apple used on the new Apple TV 4K. I disagree with it, but at least have it as an option to turn off for Enthusiasts.
If that were the case then Netflix would be doing the same thing on other devices as well. Yet Netflix does not behave that way on any of my other UHD streaming devices. They all switch to HDR only when viewing HDR content. Like is supposed to happen. The only place I've seen this is issue is from the game systems.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Me too, can't wait to watch "Punisher" but unfortunately it will be a while because I just started "Westworld" and like to finish one series before starting another.

Since punisher looks better and seems to be more of an action show I am putting westworld on hold until punisher is complete.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
If that were the case then Netflix would be doing the same thing on other devices as well. Yet Netflix does not behave that way on any of my other UHD streaming devices. They all switch to HDR only when viewing HDR content. Like is supposed to happen. The only place I've seen this is issue is from the game systems.
So perhaps it's a game console thing. The NVIDIA Shield did the same thing at launch with Netflix.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Since punisher looks better and seems to be more of an action show I am putting westworld on hold until punisher is complete.
Fair enough. There is some action in Westworld but things happen which pay off later. It's not a "popcorn" TV series, you need to pay close attention, and are rewarded if you do. I thought it was great.

·
Banned
449 Posts

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,970
The Nolan Collection was officially announced today for December 19th release in the USA and can be pre-order around $149.and yes, this does include The Prestige which is a Disney release in the USA.

Fwiw, finished WestWorld last night and really liked it. PQ was good but not great. 35mm 2k is why it looks soft, though it looked decent on my tv because I bump up the sharpness on my Oppo 203 and it works wonders without creating artifacts.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Fair enough. There is some action in Westworld but things happen which pay off later. It's not a "popcorn" TV series, you need to pay close attention, and are rewarded if you do. I thought it was great.

It is great but I really want to see punisher for the hdr which people have said is very good and I feel like I would be rushing westworld to get to punisher.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I installed Vimeo on my Apple TV 4k (a supported device) and tried several HDR labeled videos and none of them kicked in HDR on my Vizio display so not sure why?
The only one I can find so far is this one: https://vimeo.com/243309283
Let me know if it works.

Even the one they had originally on the press release, La La La, no longer shows the HDR label.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
So I spent the past few hours watching The Punisher and I like it. The HDR grading is really good and it's the first marvel series that actually has a story I can get into. It does have the grain that I've seen on the other Marvel shows but I don't mind it so much here.

Reactions: korsjs and galonzo

·
Registered
680 Posts
So I spent the past few hours watching The Punisher and I like it. The HDR grading is really good and it's the first marvel series that actually has a story I can get into. It does have the grain that I've seen on the other Marvel shows but I don't mind it so much here.
i agree about the grain. i hate grain but this, in my opinion, is the best marvel series so far. i could do without the grain but i am watching this one nonstop.

edit - finally done with the number of the beast. (page 666 of this thread on the non-mobile version)

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,979
Just a reminder that the Nolan Collection is coming in December, and appears to be all hdr10, including Dunkirk. I just ordered my set from Bullmoose, available in the USA only, for an incredible price on the Nolan Collection, too good to pass up!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I dont really get this uhd hdr streaming craze, all services cap the birate which isnt a true showing of the ubd. Id rather watch a 80 or 100mbs bd than 20mbs uhd stream but thats just me

19961 - 19980 of 30645 Posts