AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this excellent show...it's a critically acclaimed show that's near the top of most critics list of best Netflix originals...Season 2 is on almost every Top TV show of 2017 lists that I've seen...the series stars Aziz Ansari as Dev Shah and follows his romantic, professional, and cultural experiences in NYC and beyond...I binge watched both seasons over a few days and the show is really funny...Season 1 had its moments but Season 2 is where the show really nailed it...some really original and funny episodes...the show has some really smart writing and takes a hard look at some hot button issues such as racism, homosexuality etc in a really intelligent yet funny way

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I completely disliked season one, then gave up. Not for me I guess.

I enjoyed Season 2 a lot more...I think you have to appreciate the humor of Aziz Ansari to like the show...it's one of the best comedies on TV in my opinion...most of the episodes are also only around 30 minutes so watching both seasons is a very quick binge watch (Season 2 did have some extended episodes)

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I've enjoyed both seasons. Interesting stories and a very likeable cast.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Season 2 had some very unique and clever episodes- the Black and White premiere filmed in Italy, the one that focused on the doorman/taxi driver etc, the Thanksgiving episode that won an Emmy for writing etc...and the actress that played Francesca was really hot and had a great screen presence...here's the Season 2 trailer...

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
I ran through both seasons and although it started rather slow I enjoyed it after x episodes. I'm not a sitcom fan however I found the characters interesting enough that I eventually became invested. Most of the attempted humor was over the top which made it appear more like a stand-up routine. Either they cut back or I simply became numb to it as by the end of the second season it stopped bothering me.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ran through both seasons and although it started rather slow I enjoyed it after x episodes. I'm not a sitcom fan however I found the characters interesting enough that I eventually became invested. Most of the attempted humor was over the top which made it appear more like a stand-up routine. Either they cut back or I simply became numb to it as by the end of the second season it stopped bothering me.

Season 1 felt more like a traditional sitcom while Season 2 felt way more experimental and artsy...both seasons had a different feel...I enjoyed Season 2 a bit more but found both funny

·
Registered
8,493 Posts
Alan Yang signed a deal with some other producers/creators of prestige TV shows to produce an anthology show about immigrants for Apple.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alan Yang signed a deal with some other producers/creators of prestige TV shows to produce an anthology show about immigrants for Apple.

Lena Waithe is the other actress/writer on the show who's career is really taking off...she has a bunch of developmental deals and her new drama on Showtime (The Chi) is getting good buzz

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I like this show despite the fact that I hate Aziz's standup. Also certain words he uses like "boo" and some others, really aggravates me, coming from him.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also certain words he uses like "boo" and some others, really aggravates me, coming from him.

why?...Indian guys can't use the word boo?...should he be talking with an accent and engaging in other Indian stereotypes?

·
Registered
444 Posts
why?...Indian guys can't use the word boo?...should he be talking with an accent and engaging in other Indian stereotypes?
Lolz, dinner with Titus...

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I can't believe you sussed out my subtle racism that easily.

How about because he's an adult man using a word from teenagers and social media culture. Because it makes him sound like an idiot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts