AVS Forum banner

2141 - 2160 of 4635 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I did a quick test the other day on the B6. Early indications are that static logos are only dimmed at higher OLED light settings, and not at lower OLED light settings.

Turned on CNN. Picture setting, ISF Expert Bright Room. OLED Light at 50. News program had the red CNN logo. Waited a few minutes. Pressed volume button. CNN logo returned to full brightness. Waited a few minutes. Logo appeared dimmer. Pressed volume button. Logo returned to full brightness. Okay, so repeatable results.

Changed picture setting to ISF Expert Dark Room. OLED Light at 30 (all other settings identical to Bright Room). Repeated same steps as before and CNN logo did not change brightness. Repeated a few times. CNN logo did not change brightness. Repeatable results.

I did not try any other OLED light settings to determine what the cutoff may be. I did not try with any other logos or picture settings.

Could this mean that LG knows that higher OLED light settings are higher risks for BI and that is why they dim the logos? Could it mean that lower OLED light settings like 30, are somehow "safe?"

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Could this mean that LG knows that higher OLED light settings are higher risks for BI and that is why they dim the logos? Could it mean that lower OLED light settings like 30, are somehow "safe?"
Or perhaps just the opposite. Higher OLED light triggers dimming, which in turns reduces chance of BI, whereas lower OLED light does not trigger logo dimming, and thus increases chance of BI. Perhaps that is why by default bright room is 100/85 and dark room is 85/80. Both would trigger logo dimming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello

one question

I bought 55B7V (8.9.2017)but i don't see overall hours .I must somehow activated?

btw: Used like PC monitor,every day (weekday 4-5hrs ,weekend 12-15hrs ) i play world of warcraft,Black desert etc.So far no problem with BI or RI.
Oled setting 30,i sit 120cm before TV and more OLED lighting is already very much strong.

sorry for my bad english

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I bought 55B7V (8.9.2017)but i don't see overall hours .I must somehow activated?
For some reason on the european models you can see total hours only in the service menu. You'll need a service remote or an android phone with an IR blaster to access it.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Or perhaps just the opposite. Higher OLED light triggers dimming, which in turns reduces chance of BI, whereas lower OLED light does not trigger logo dimming, and thus increases chance of BI. Perhaps that is why by default bright room is 100/85 and dark room is 85/80. Both would trigger logo dimming.
If that was the case then we'd have more reports of BI from folks with low OLED light settings than with high OLED light settings. We have the opposite. We have many more reports of BI at higher OLED Light settings and virtually none at lower OLED light settings (below 40). Of those reporting BI, the vast majority had their OLED light set in the 80-100 range.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Going back to an old theory that heat build up may contribute to burn-in, I wonder how many people have their OLEDs mounted on a wall with less room for airflow and heat dissipation than those who have them on their stand. Our B6 is wall mounted and got burn-in. Granted this could only be ONE contributing factor, that may explain why some get BI faster than others. I still think any set can BI given enough screen time with risky content.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Going back to an old theory that heat build up may contribute to burn-in, I wonder how many people have their OLEDs mounted on a wall with less room for airflow and heat dissipation than those who have them on their stand. Our B6 is wall mounted and got burn-in. Granted this could only be ONE contributing factor, that may explain why some get BI faster than others. I still think any set can BI given enough screen time with risky content.
Elevation may also contribute to the issue. I remember when I owned my Pioneer 5020 plasma, it recommended in the manual not to use the tv above 5000 feet. The higher the elevation above sea level, the harder the tv has to work, and the hotter it will become. At elevations above 5000 feet, plasma tv's would get so hot that it would sometimes trigger a shutdown.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Isn't the "simple" answer to image-retention/burn-in to just switch the channel or material every hour, etc. for a few seconds, etc...?

:confused:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Isn't the "simple" answer to image-retention/burn-in to just switch the channel or material every hour, etc. for a few seconds, etc...?

:confused:
Has no bearing. Otherwise, constant 4 - 5 minute commercials would be enough. Static red or yellow (in my case) elements will burn the panel in less than 2,000 hours and another 3,000 hours of other content hasn't diminished the burn one bit. You can't "watch TV" on an OLED. Read the first post in this thread. Good thing I did before it got even worse... :mad:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Elevation may also contribute to the issue. I remember when I owned my Pioneer 5020 plasma, it recommended in the manual not to use the tv above 5000 feet. The higher the elevation above sea level, the harder the tv has to work, and the hotter it will become. At elevations above 5000 feet, plasma tv's would get so hot that it would sometimes trigger a shutdown.
Elevation not a factor on our OLED with BI.

I think Plasmas may have had an elevation warning due to the internal pressurized gas expanding at high altitudes. Something like that. Shouldn't be an issue with OLEDs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mines on it's stand about 9" from wall.
"D day tomorrow"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmm... So much info here :/

I hit this thread after trying to remove some retention that so far (after one of those one-hour clear panel noise thingies) remains on my about one-year-old B6.

I noticed it Sunday while watching Blade Runner 2049 with a friend. There're some orange-y scenes where I noticed a vague horizontal progress-bar-looking shadow. Its position seemed to match the YouTube app's progress bar (later confirmed), and I remembered that one of the bugs in the YouTube app is that sometimes it doesn't completely remove the overlay (title, progress bar, and those related videos at the bottom) when it fades out, the info instead remains mostly translucent on top, sometimes so translucent that I don't notice it, especially if I'm not actively watching the TV. I don't have a "real" TV feed, so about 99% of my content is YouTube and Netflix, and I often put on debates or speaks that I don't necessarily look at. I also do a lot of Clash of Clan'ing while watching YouTube, and whenever I go into a battle, I pause YouTube, so the progress bar will be on for two minutes (before the screen saver appears) many times during such a session.

It doesn't feel like it should cause retention though, unless that "lingering semi-transparent overlay" bug thing is the main cause of it. It's the only retention artefact I've noticed on my panel, except for very short-lived ones after using the TV as a monitor for my laptop.

Are there any tricks other than using the "clear panel noise" one-hour-thing, which didn't do much, to get rid of a retention like this before it potentially becomes a genuine burn-in? Or should I just run it more times? I've never run it before today, but I remember the TV actually asking me to do something similar on one or two occasions, which only took a moment. I've now enabled the "shift" thing in settings as well, which I hadn't initially, because I remembered a Pioneer plasma which did it and there it was quite annoying.

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
109 Posts

I hit this thread after trying to remove some retention that so far (after one of those one-hour clear panel noise thingies) remains on my about one-year-old B6.

I noticed it Sunday while watching Blade Runner 2049 with a friend. There're some orange-y scenes where I noticed a vague horizontal progress-bar-looking shadow. Its position seemed to match the YouTube app's progress bar (later confirmed), and I remembered that one of the bugs in the YouTube app is that sometimes it doesn't completely remove the overlay (title, progress bar, and those related videos at the bottom) when it fades out, the info instead remains mostly translucent on top, sometimes so translucent that I don't notice it, especially if I'm not actively watching the TV. I don't have a "real" TV feed, so about 99% of my content is YouTube and Netflix, and I often put on debates or speaks that I don't necessarily look at. I also do a lot of Clash of Clan'ing while watching YouTube, and whenever I go into a battle, I pause YouTube, so the progress bar will be on for two minutes (before the screen saver appears) many times during such a session.

It doesn't feel like it should cause retention though, unless that "lingering semi-transparent overlay" bug thing is the main cause of it. It's the only retention artefact I've noticed on my panel, except for very short-lived ones after using the TV as a monitor for my laptop.

Are there any tricks other than using the "clear panel noise" one-hour-thing, which didn't do much, to get rid of a retention like this before it potentially becomes a genuine burn-in? Or should I just run it more times? I've never run it before today, but I remember the TV actually asking me to do something similar on one or two occasions, which only took a moment. I've now enabled the "shift" thing in settings as well, which I hadn't initially, because I remembered a Pioneer plasma which did it and there it was quite annoying.

If the retention is dark against a orange/red backdrop then its likely that what your seeing is already Burn In.

Are you talking about the red part of the youtube progress bar? Red is one of the worst culprits for BI. And it happens cumulatively. So it depends how many hours total that bar has been on your screen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the retention is dark against a orange/red backdrop then its likely that what your seeing is already Burn In.

Are you talking about the red part of the youtube progress bar? Red is one of the worst culprits for BI. And it happens cumulatively. So it depends how many hours total that bar has been on your screen.
Damn, that sucks. I'm not sure about the color of the bar. I guess it depends on progress at that time :/ It just seems weird, because relatively speaking, it can't have been on the screen for very long; even with the translucent nvr-leave overlay bug in the YouTube app, it "feels" like it shouldn't have done it. But, it definitely matches perfectly with the YouTube progress bar. I wonder if I've ever fallen asleep and the TV has somehow frozen on a paused YouTube video so that the progress bar was stuck for a very long time. :/

It's super faint, though, I can only see it on very uniform colour backgrounds, and still then, I'd have to point it out to my friend when we watched Blade Runner. But he could see it, though :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

I purchased a Roku streaming stick. Problem with the built in YouTube app is you cannot reduce the color of the apps own stuff...menu and such. But with an external device you can reduce both the brightness (olight) and color levels. At this point I would run the olight very low on youtube...10 or lower even. And maybe go all the way down to "0" (B&W) on the color level. It's just youtube after all.

Run bluray movies normally, for me, that would be 35 olight 42~44 color.

But I also suspect you have BI already. You might want to give LG service a call...some credit cards double the manufacturer's warranty, check with yours. Don't mention ANYTHING about burn in. Just tell them you see something weird on the screen and if they could send someone out fix it, that would be great. But be aware, LG does not cover burn in. However some are having good luck. Perhaps LG is starting to stand behind their claim that "ANY" risk of burn in has been..."

What olight and color settings do you normally use?

"OLED Image Retention or Burn-In: Burn-in and image retention are possible on virtually any display. However, with an LG OLED TV, any risk of burn-in or image retention have been addressed through the use of technology that not only helps protect against damage to the screen, but features self-healing properties so that any short-term image retention that may occur is quickly rectified."

http://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/oled-tv/reliability

·
Registered
109 Posts
Damn, that sucks. I'm not sure about the color of the bar. I guess it depends on progress at that time :/ It just seems weird, because relatively speaking, it can't have been on the screen for very long; even with the translucent nvr-leave overlay bug in the YouTube app, it "feels" like it shouldn't have done it. But, it definitely matches perfectly with the YouTube progress bar. I wonder if I've ever fallen asleep and the TV has somehow frozen on a paused YouTube video so that the progress bar was stuck for a very long time. :/

It's super faint, though, I can only see it on very uniform colour backgrounds, and still then, I'd have to point it out to my friend when we watched Blade Runner. But he could see it, though :)
Can you post a picture?

Only safe thing to do to prevent it getting worse is to turn your OLED light setting right down to below 50, 30-40. And to stop using the internal youtube app (or ever displaying that progress bar unless you can use an external device where you can change the colour reduce its transparency).

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
This is why the new Rtings IR/BI tests will be very informative...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If it is...thats weird. But even more weird IMO is trying to watch TV with direct sunlight hitting the screen. Its like, dude, cmon man! ;)
I've done that for the first little while with my TV, it's a non issue with these TVs.
Although having seen what sunlight can do to them I'm thinking I might move my TV before the Summer sun starts hitting the TV screen again.

Found this from 2013...

"Heat may affect characteristics of emitted light from OLEDs. In addition to accelerating aging, the color and brightness of light emitted by OLEDs may be affected by the operating temperature. The brightness of some OLEDs, particularly red OLEDs, may decrease as operating temperatures increase. Over time as each OLED ages due to use and temperature, images shown on parts of the display may appear different from the intended image. Controllers may make changes to compensate for such shifts in brightness and color. However, color and brightness shifts may occur differently across a display due to unpredictable use of each OLED and the components beneath each OLED.

"As mentioned above, aged OLEDs may emit light different from less aged OLEDs, and operating temperature affects aging.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/12/apple-invents-oled-displays-with-integrated-thermal-sensors.html

So with this in mind...folks might want to alter their Oled home theater build plans...and then add blankets.

This might be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbTVNYku950

Seen a few on avforums saying the same.....
So it looks like heat may play a factor that would all make sense since it is red that heats up the most and causes the burn in.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just been to court, got full refund plus court costs.
Might not help others but ruling was as I told retailer my vewing habits & they said no problem, it was not fit for my purpose.

Week before hearing they offered to fix or replace with simular but I refused.

Now need to decide what to get next?

Thanx for all your help...........
Congratulations!

Also great you refused LG's belated half-assed customer service and told them to stick their offer where the sun doesn't shine :D

Getting court decisions on record can establish legal precedence that may help other consumers in a similar situation going forward.

2141 - 2160 of 4635 Posts