AVS Forum banner

3081 - 3100 of 4544 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have no skin in this game, but Im looking at a 65" OLED, and while looking through Craigslist, I saw this 55" advertised, "with slight burn in" Pictures are included, and it very obvious. Im still going to buy one. Its for my main living room, but I watch most of my TV in the bedroom, getting ready for work in the morning. Fox news, and Golic and Wingo

https://houston.craigslist.org/ele/d/lg-55-inch-3d-oled-tv/6747686068.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have no skin in this game, but Im looking at a 65" OLED, and while looking through Craigslist, I saw this 55" advertised, "with slight burn in" Pictures are included, and it very obvious. Im still going to buy one. Its for my main living room, but I watch most of my TV in the bedroom, getting ready for work in the morning. Fox news, and Golic and Wingo

https://houston.craigslist.org/ele/d/lg-55-inch-3d-oled-tv/6747686068.html
I guess it's something you need to see in person under regular content and with color palettes. Money and perception are yours only to decide.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Again, I'm not saying what was the situation in terms of what you were told, or what you should have known at a given point in time, but the issue today is well-known and the programming you need to avoid to try to prevent the problem seems pretty well-known.
"Well-known?" Outside of people hanging out on AV forums, how often do you think the typical buyer at Best Buy looking at LGs will know this? I'm taking the under on that.

But it also generally acknowledged today that if someone is going to watch things like CNN, Bloomberg, etc., quite a bit of the time, they would probably be better off with an LCD.
Again, how would shoppers at Best Buy know this?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow I didn't know the current manual discusses about care. My manual does not discuss anything about how to use it. I was aware of the rumors of burn in at the time, but I was not aware it's that delicate.

I think many of the things you mentioned are after the fact for me. I do not have the newer models and these things were described as almost impossible in my days when you refer back to the early 2015 - 2016 posts.

Exactly!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
"Well-known?" Outside of people hanging out on AV forums, how often do you think the typical buyer at Best Buy looking at LGs will know this? I'm taking the under on that.
Well, I might indeed be assuming too much. I'm assuming with the availability of the internet today and the widespread disclosure of information about products, that anyone spending $3000 or more on a TV would do some basic searching on the internet regarding the pros and cons of a given product and its competition. My goodness, if people get a stomach ache or a blemish they go on the internet to diagnose the possible causes. Reviews of virtually everything you can buy are everywhere.

But I suppose there might be folks out there who just go into a store and look at the pictures on TV's and plunk down three grand.

And, of course, we still don't know how pervasive the problems is with respect to the various model years.

EDIT: And I guess the other question would be, how many people that buy a $3000 OLED TV by just going into Best Buy and plunking down their money are going to see burn-in on their set three years later when watching normal programming? Or to put it another way, how many "average folks" are going to put up colored panels to check for burn in?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I believe plasmas work the same way. OLED and plasma are emmissive display types so they employ many of the same techniques. That includes each pixel being its own light source. So, yes!

seriously road lizard, still here trying to convince people theres no problem ? why lose your time here, disparaging people watching cnn or msnbc won't make your alternative facts anymore correct.

i see you deriding and laughing at people all the time on this thread while denying the problem, we should ask the moderator to delete all your posts, you must have posted 100 times on that thread, maybe it's time to retire and go spit your poison elsewhere ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
STOP COMING HERE TELLING US YOU HAD NO PROBLEM ON YOUR OLED, WE DON'T CARE, IT'S NOT A PROPER THREAD FOR THAT, LET THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE PROBLEM SPEAK PLEASE"

Anyway,

Back to the problems, deniers won't ever understand or listen to the problems of others, they will just deny, please ignore these people.

Today i have new BURN INS on my tv, it's the sunlight with marks of the sun, epic, i will try later on to use the clear function again.

I know have the youtube apps markers burned in permanently unfortunately looks like watching hours of youtube a day won't do it aswell, i got the ignore of the commercials things like that

i also have burn in from the 4:3 children channels my kids listen to. we clearly see the bars.

and finally the worst one is the cable box, it has a yellow menu and when you go down, the yellow bar is always at the same place so it can stay there for 5-15 minutes at a time while u search what you will watch.

This is clearly the best display money can buy, unfortunately the technology was not ready for mass market, i mean, even the direct sun can burn it, what do i do ? live in a @#[email protected]$!% cave ?

wow, this technology is so bad, i say don't buy this you will get ripped off.

i'M lucky it's still on waranty so i'll change it again, i got a very good tv seller that does not care about LG **** and want to give the best service.

good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
^^^ the tone of your post sounds a lot like another poster who was here for awhile. I don't think anyone is saying that BI is not possible on OLED sets. It is. I think what a lot of us are saying is that it's not as widely prevalent as some say it is. Direct light on any panel type is not a good thing. OLED/plasma are probably particularly sensitive given the technology which is all the more reason to carefully check out your viewing environment before purchase. No issues with my OLED but maybe I'm one of the lucky ones:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys I have an issue that I think may be burn in but i'm not positive due to something else that

it's an lg oled65b6. I've been very diligent about preventing burn in as long as I've had it.

A few weeks ago, I noticed what i thought was the left half of the screen just ever so slightly darker than the right. there was to tell unless most of the screen was one color.

a week later, I left my TV on for about 15 minutes while i went to poop. my xbox was on, and I was in the settings menu(dark grey, just some text and a couple of straight lines.

I had screen shift on, and screen dimming after 2 min.

I came back, didn't really look at anything, turned the TV off to do something else. when I got back on a couple of hours later, I saw this weird green spot. it's nearly invisible against some colors, and changes to a red or purple against others, but green is the most common. As I was looking I also noticed it isn't my entire left half darker, but roughly the a sixth or so of the screen, left and right of that section seems okay. this dark spot is also where the burn in is.

i'm not sure how many details you can see from picture of screen, but there is more details burned in that aren't as bad around the main spot. I can see them pretty clearly against certain colors. I went though all the games I play to try and find any menu or even that has something matching that and found absolutely nothing close to it.

How did it happen, and how screwed is it?

https://ibb.co/t8tvzKL
https://ibb.co/vZVYmTR
https://ibb.co/YkFHN7W
https://ibb.co/VgFQrRc
https://gfycat.com/FrankWaterloggedCalf

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
^^^ the tone of your post sounds a lot like another poster who was here for awhile. I don't think anyone is saying that BI is not possible on OLED sets. It is. I think what a lot of us are saying is that it's not as widely prevalent as some say it is. Direct light on any panel type is not a good thing. OLED/plasma are probably particularly sensitive given the technology which is all the more reason to carefully check out your viewing environment before purchase. No issues with my OLED but maybe I'm one of the lucky ones:rolleyes:
And people providing their own experiences with whether they have burn-in is entirely relevant on a thread like this, IMHO. ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Today i have new BURN INS on my tv, it's the sunlight with marks of the sun, epic, i will try later on to use the cl
Wow! I had no idea the sun could cause burn-in. I wish LG would have mentioned this. Nice to know now.

Anyway, all these conversations are the same as 2015-2016. Nothing's changed. Words like impossible, average, or normal all there.

I believed it before I bought my tv and during the first 2 years. I thought it was impossible until it happened.

Fortunately it's still bearable and I noticed it before it got worse. Now I'm a bit smarter and I'm extra careful before it becomes unbearable.

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
And people providing their own experiences with whether they have burn-in is entirely relevant on a thread like this, IMHO. ;)
I would agree. My point is that informing folks of issues is important, whether the issue affects you or not. That's shared info which is the point of AVS. However, when one gets to the point of implying the technology is so bad that anyone who purchase into it is getting ripped off is taking that shared info a step to far, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
My point is that informing folks of issues is important, whether the issue affects you or not. That's shared info which is the point of AVS.
I agree with you. My point was poorly worded. I was actually trying to support what you were saying. What I should have said was that people sharing their experience that they DON'T have burn-in (including the number or hours on their set, possible reasons why) is also relevant to this thread, in contrast to the suggestion above that this thread is only for people who have experienced burn-in.

However, when one gets to the point of implying the technology is so bad that anyone who purchase into it is getting ripped off is taking that shared info a step to far, IMHO.
100% agree. Unfortunately today, many people seem to be unable to make their points without extreme hyperbole. You see it here on occasion and on many other forums, and it's particularly bad on social media -- which is why I stay the heck away from that. :D

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
@firewalkerz could you share your usual TV picture settings? I always keep the Foot-lamberts (ftL) accordingly to my environment. LG should lower the default brightness settings even that they are safe for the most part. vivid or sport mode aren’t good picture modes, not only because of the increased risk of BI with static images but the colors are all very wrong.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
seriously road lizard, still here trying to convince people theres no problem ? why lose your time here, disparaging people watching cnn or msnbc won't make your alternative facts anymore correct.

i see you deriding and laughing at people all the time on this thread while denying the problem, we should ask the moderator to delete all your posts, you must have posted 100 times on that thread, maybe it's time to retire and go spit your poison elsewhere ?
My oh my. Whats the problem? I dont deride or laugh at anyone. Please provide data to back up such claims. Alls I do is offer some alternative posts to counter the relentless barrage of "end of the world" posts that the OLED-hater club keeps perpetrating. The reason myself and some others have countered is because some others here have overblown this BI thing. Thats why.

Yeah, ask the mods to delete my posts. Well Played. Best of luck. Have a great Christmas. :)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Hey guys I have an issue that I think may be burn in but i'm not positive due to something else that

it's an lg oled65b6. I've been very diligent about preventing burn in as long as I've had it.

A few weeks ago, I noticed what i thought was the left half of the screen just ever so slightly darker than the right. there was to tell unless most of the screen was one color.

a week later, I left my TV on for about 15 minutes while i went to poop. my xbox was on, and I was in the settings menu(dark grey, just some text and a couple of straight lines.

I had screen shift on, and screen dimming after 2 min.

I came back, didn't really look at anything, turned the TV off to do something else. when I got back on a couple of hours later, I saw this weird green spot. it's nearly invisible against some colors, and changes to a red or purple against others, but green is the most common. As I was looking I also noticed it isn't my entire left half darker, but roughly the a sixth or so of the screen, left and right of that section seems okay. this dark spot is also where the burn in is.

i'm not sure how many details you can see from picture of screen, but there is more details burned in that aren't as bad around the main spot. I can see them pretty clearly against certain colors. I went though all the games I play to try and find any menu or even that has something matching that and found absolutely nothing close to it.

How did it happen, and how screwed is it?

https://ibb.co/t8tvzKL
https://ibb.co/vZVYmTR
https://ibb.co/YkFHN7W
https://ibb.co/VgFQrRc
https://gfycat.com/FrankWaterloggedCalf
Try running this Youtube video.

I suspect you have something other than BI going on with your screen.

·
Registered
16 Posts

yeah sure man, i have 4 different type of burn in on my second set, but it's all my fault, so how is it that it happens again if it's not prevalent ?

i have had sunlight on an LCD panel for years without problems and i was never told that fact.

people here just dismiss the facts see, nobody ever discussed what type of burn in i had and why, only thing that interest you is convincing people theres no problem

·
Registered
16 Posts
My oh my. Whats the problem? I dont deride or laugh at anyone. Please provide data to back up such claims. Alls I do is offer some alternative posts to counter the relentless barrage of "end of the world" posts that the OLED-hater club keeps perpetrating. The reason myself and some others have countered is because some others here have overblown this BI thing. Thats why.

Yeah, ask the mods to delete my posts. Well Played. Best of luck. Have a great Christmas. :)
you have posted more than a hundred or two hundred time here to try to argue that there was no problem, maybe it's time to stop this , we all know you had no problem, time to let people who have problem speak.

basically you guys try to prevent the real discussion and reorient the discussion at your non-problems issue, and it'S not widely spread etc..

multiple time i tried to post my problem, multiple time i was flooded with useless posts about how it's not that bad.

i mean what is the problem guys, you don't wanna admit there is a problem with OLED technology, FINE, but don't come here arrogantly telling people theres no problem when alot of people create an account just to come here

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I don't think anybody is trying to prevent real discussion or deny that there are potential issues with burn-in on OLED's -- on this thread or other similar threads. I think people are just trying to bring some balance and objective analysis to the discussion. ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with you. My point was poorly worded. I was actually trying to support what you were saying. What I should have said was that people sharing their experience that they DON'T have burn-in (including the number or hours on their set, possible reasons why) is also relevant to this thread, in contrast to the suggestion above that this thread is only for people who have experienced burn-in.

100% agree. Unfortunately today, many people seem to be unable to make their points without extreme hyperbole. You see it here on occasion and on many other forums, and it's particularly bad on social media -- which is why I stay the heck away from that. :D
He suffered a huge loss. Give him a break. I'm try hard to hold it in myself.

3081 - 3100 of 4544 Posts