AVS Forum banner

3481 - 3500 of 4537 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Hi guys.

After one year, I had to replace my LG C7 panel. No because of burn in, but because of the "25% square" bug, and a strange vertical "dark" bar. I had Image retention for a few days once, but that's all. But, maybe a stupid question, I get that burn in is a thing linked to OLED, because of the tech itself. But, is it possible that futur product, better chipset / algorithms driving the panel, etc, can one day improve the situation on this ?

Thx.
Always hope for improvements. But...the same things (software related) that are meant to protect the screen are often the things folks complain about. They want LED/LCD like brightness...Oleds by their very nature can't compete in that regard...not without suffering wearing issues.

Oleds claim to fame is their perfect blacks levels, what sets them apart from back lit LCD's. LED's will hold on to the lead in terms of over all brightness levels, at least that's my guess.

For now olight and color levels are the two keys to preventing BI. Along with the choice of material watched of course.

Reactions: Nation66

·
Registered
261 Posts
New panel coming tomorrow

My 2017 C7 panel is being replaced by LG out of warranty tomorrow. The Burn in on my original panel was significant and having owned a plasma previously to this for 10 years I was somewhat experienced in how to care and use a tv that may suffer from IR and BI. I bought my set from Value Electronics and Robert suggests to watch SDR on the Technicolor standard settings. My question is for any of you that have been through this are there settings that may be a bit more safe to help prevent a recurrence? Also would more frequent pixel refresh cycles be appropriate? I watch a lot of streaming through a Roku box and was curious if anyone has recommended settings there as well?
Thanks for any help
JTMav

·
Registered
172 Posts
My 2017 C7 panel is being replaced by LG out of warranty tomorrow. The Burn in on my original panel was significant and having owned a plasma previously to this for 10 years I was somewhat experienced in how to care and use a tv that may suffer from IR and BI. I bought my set from Value Electronics and Robert suggests to watch SDR on the Technicolor standard settings. My question is for any of you that have been through this are there settings that may be a bit more safe to help prevent a recurrence? Also would more frequent pixel refresh cycles be appropriate? I watch a lot of streaming through a Roku box and was curious if anyone has recommended settings there as well?
Thanks for any help
JTMav
I now have my THIRD screen, because the first two developed burn in.
I got my OLED 55B7A in November of 2017.
It developed serious burn in in April of 2018.
That screen was replaced. I noticed I was beginning to develop burn in on my second screen in December.
I contacted LG in late January, and without even having me send them visual proof of the burn in (they required me to do that for the first screen), they
sent me another screen which was replaced on Saturday.
I, too, owned a Panasonic plasma set before, so I tried to take care of this panel.
I obviously failed. I really don't know of a proper setting for these panels.
I DO know that I probably won't buy another OLED set. It's just not worth the bother!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Thanks for any help
JTMav
General bluray discs...olight 35ish...brightness 52...color 45ish

Roku...olight 17ish...brightness 52...color 25ish. If you have company over and it needs to look goodish, run the Roku settings same as blurays.

HDR...I can be of no help. Have it disabled in my bluray player and avoid it where ever I can. But keep in mind I am a 3D fan...so VERY important to me that the screen lasts as long as possible, not replaceable. Not saying others should avoid HDR...

I would not run the refresh cycles manually. Just let the tv automatically do it's job as scheduled by the gods of Oled.

Keep the tv away from heat sources...Oleds like cooler comfortable rooms...perhaps keep a ceiling fan on low/medium if you have one to aid in cooling. Higher room temps increase wear rates. Keep that in mind when building your home theater.

:cool:

For 3D I murder the screen. Olight 47...brightness 52...color 47~48...I give it a few kisses after a 3D session to make it feel better after the abuse.

:kiss:

·
Registered
172 Posts
You have to go for LCD screen. OLED is not suitable for your TV usage scenario.
Hum? Perhaps LG should only market these panels for "certain" people, then.
Those are the people who use their sets for (fill-in-the-blanks).
Unfortunately, they market them as general purpose sets.
I mentioned on another thread that when the tech came to replace my screen, I asked him if he's

seen a lot of burn in. He simply said, "They're burning!"
Apparently, a lot of people, as you say, "have to go for LCD screen."

·
Registered
172 Posts
You have to think and decide for yourself. Not LG :). When I bought my OLED B8 i knew perfectly well about OLED limitations.
Unfortunately, I don't think many of the people who walk into a Best Buy are that conversant about OLED's limitations.
Nor, is it in LG's best interest to broadcast the perils of any of their products.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Hum? Perhaps LG should only market these panels for "certain" people, then.
Those are the people who use their sets for (fill-in-the-blanks).
Unfortunately, they market them as general purpose sets.
I mentioned on another thread that when the tech came to replace my screen, I asked him if he's

seen a lot of burn in. He simply said, "They're burning!"
Apparently, a lot of people, as you say, "have to go for LCD screen."
I'm sure the # of people suffering BI is much, much higher with non members. Most here quickly become aware of BI...and either choose to take counter measures or accept the risk of a shorter lifespan. While some still love to claim "I have 5000 hours on my Oled and treat it same as I would any other tv"...holding it out as an example of durability, that's become rarer and rarer as...5000 hours is not many hours to base any long lifespan claims on. And wiser folks realize that. 10,000~20,000 hours (4~8 years avg) would be a more realistic point to make a screen durability statement at.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm sure the # of people suffering BI is much, much higher with non members. Most here quickly become aware of BI...and either choose to take counter measures or accept the risk of a shorter lifespan. While some still love to claim "I have 5000 hours on my Oled and treat it same as I would any other tv"...holding it out as an example of durability, that's become rarer and rarer as...5000 hours is not many hours to base any long lifespan claims on. And wiser folks realize that. 10,000~20,000 hours (4~8 years avg) would be a more realistic point to make a screen durability statement at.
Agreed!
But there's simply no accurate measurement of what are "safe" settings for one of these panels.
People have a general understanding about the OLED light setting, and about tuning to stations without persistent logos.
But there are still many, many variables that might not be taken into consideration.
By the way, here are my power-on times for my panel before I had the screens replaced:

• I NOTICED THE FIRST BURN IN AT 1,896 HOURS.
  • THAT SCREEN WAS REPLACED AT 1,957 HOURS.
  • I NOTICED NEW BURN IN ON THE SECOND SCREEN AT 3,254 HOURS.
  • THAT WAS ONLY 1,358 MORE HOURS WHEN I NOTICED BURN IN AGAIN.

·
Registered
67 Posts
But, is it possible that futur product, better chipset / algorithms driving the panel, etc, can one day improve the situation on this ?
I'm no chemist but I would imagine they would need to add or take something out of the periodic table to significantly improve it. I don't think any hardware improvements will cure an organic problem.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Agreed!
But there's simply no accurate measurement of what is are "safe" settings for one of these panels.
People have a general understanding about the OLED light setting, and about tuning to stations without persistent logos.
But there are still many, many variables that might not be taken into consideration.
By the way, here are my power-on times for my panel before I had the screens replaced:

• I NOTICED THE FIRST BURN IN AT 1,896 HOURS.
  • THAT SCREEN WAS REPLACED AT 1,957 HOURS.
  • I NOTICED NEW BURN ON THE SECOND SCREEN AT 3,254 HOURS.
  • THAT WAS ONLY 1,358 MORE HOURS WHEN I NOTICED BURN IN AGAIN.
Well...if you get 5000 hours out of your latest panel (say you run your olight & color lower)...plus the 5000 you got out of other two for a total of 10,000 hours. Not to bad right? LGS is giving you great service...and I know you will be needing an 8K soon...or be left behind in the dust with your low resolution 4K thingy. Lol...just playing around. But you must admit...LGS has done you right...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well...if you get 5000 hours out of your latest panel (say you run your olight & color lower)...plus the 5000 you got out of other two for a total of 10,000 hours. Not to bad right? LGS is giving you great service...and I know you will be needing an 8K soon...or be left behind in the dust with your low resolution 4K thingy. Lol...just playing around. But you must admit...LGS has done you right...
Yep! I was floored that they agreed to replace the second screen without even bothering to ask me to send them pictures.
Then, when the tech came on Saturday, he didn't even look up at the screen, and he simply replaced it without question.
Heck! I might complain this afternoon, and see if they replace this screen, too!!!!!:)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Yep! I was floored that the replaced the second screen without even bothering to ask me to send them pictures.
Then, when the tech came on Saturday, he didn't even look up at the screen, and he simply replaced it without question.
Heck! I might complain this afternoon, and see if they replace this screen, too!!!!!:)
Your lucky ya got a 2017 model. LG no longer has 2016 (3D) screen replacements per my understanding. And the 2018 models...those warnings in the owners manuals might mean folks are out of luck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your lucky ya got a 2017 model. LG no longer has 2016 (3D) screen replacements per my understanding. And the 2018 models...those warnings in the owners manuals might mean folks are out of luck.
What owners manuals? Do you have a link? I no that there used to be a link on the LG web site talking about "reliability." But that was for the 2016, or '17 models.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
What owners manuals? Do you have a link? I no that there used to be a link on the LG web site talking about "reliability." But that was for the 2016, or '17 models.
Pick any 2018 LG Oled model. Look at the bottom area...click on "support"...you will see links to the manuals...file will open as a PDF...see page 14

https://www.lg.com/us/oled-tvs?&cmpID=SEM_HE_TV_AON_SubCat_Google_(HE)-TV-AON-GGL-Srch-Brand-OLED-Alone-EXT-lg-oled&gclid=Cj0KCQiA14TjBRD_ARIsAOCmO9YmQTsLDUpgVFtpOzDEdJ1QTZ1xaOgkUCqVtLofEAQgQVagS5bcSiMaAiurEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yep! I was floored that the replaced the second screen without even bothering to ask me to send them pictures.

I see that your first screen was replaced within 6 months. Second around 8 months.

By any chance did the screen warranty reset after the first replacement ( reset to zero days). In that case you might have been within warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
I see that your first screen was replaced within 6 months. Second around 8 months.

By any chance did the screen warranty reset after the first replacement ( reset to zero days). In that case you might have been within warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure. I don't know how they calculate the up times of the panels.
And I'm also wondering if, at this late date in the lives of the 2017 models, if they're simply replacing them regardless of the up times of them.

3481 - 3500 of 4537 Posts