AVS Forum banner

3501 - 3520 of 4544 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Final post for this event, new panel was installed Wednesday out of warranty but no charge. Luckily the shop sent a couple of guys who knew what they were doing. New panel seems good, ran some slides and couldn’t see any banding so as of now very satisfied with LG.
I guess we’ll see if this technology is ready for prime time.
JTMav

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just had my panel replaced (B7 65") today and unfortunately they clobbered _all_ my settings, even though this was a panel replacement and they definitely moved all the components, etc over from the old to the new.

Anyone else have a panel replaced and had to go through a complete setup all over again?

Nice to get a new panel, but to have to go through all the setup from scratch again?!

[email protected]%#$

Final post for this event, new panel was installed Wednesday out of warranty but no charge. Luckily the shop sent a couple of guys who knew what they were doing. New panel seems good, ran some slides and couldn’t see any banding so as of now very satisfied with LG.
I guess we’ll see if this technology is ready for prime time.
JTMav

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just had my panel replaced (B7 65") today and unfortunately they clobbered _all_ my settings, even though this was a panel replacement and they definitely moved all the components, etc over from the old to the new.

Anyone else have a panel replaced and had to go through a complete setup all over again?

Nice to get a new panel, but to have to go through all the setup from scratch again?!

Don’t know why that had to happen, in my case they just replaced the panel, the main board was simply moved out of the way and moved back again. Like I said the techs that did the work were experienced. None of my settings were affected.
JTMav

·
Registered
175 Posts

[email protected]%#$
I just had a another screen replaced on my 55" B7A. It's the second new screen I've had since I bought the original panel.
But the same tech ONLY replaced the screens - not the entire panel.
Both times all of the panel's settings remained intact.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just had a another screen replaced on my 55" B7A. It's the second new screen I've had since I bought the original panel.
But the same tech ONLY replaced the screens - not the entire panel.
Both times all of the panel's settings remained intact.

Yeah, I thought I'd read that was how it was supposed to go, so I didn't sweat it at all... they came in with their own remote and first thing they did was hit the set with something to pop up a full red screen to take a picture of the burn-in, and I'm pretty sure whatever was done then was what wiped the settings.

When they first plugged the TV in after replacing the panel, it booted up, they hit a few keys and when it started to prompt about setting everything up, I tried to stop them and click "skip" on the setup option, but they said that the settings had already been wiped. I expressed some displeasure but got no apology - apparently it was just the way they were used to doing this work.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah, I thought I'd read that was how it was supposed to go, so I didn't sweat it at all... they came in with their own remote and first thing they did was hit the set with something to pop up a full red screen to take a picture of the burn-in, and I'm pretty sure whatever was done then was what wiped the settings.

When they first plugged the TV in after replacing the panel, it booted up, they hit a few keys and when it started to prompt about setting everything up, I tried to stop them and click "skip" on the setup option, but they said that the settings had already been wiped. I expressed some displeasure but got no apology - apparently it was just the way they were used to doing this work.
If all they replaced was the screen, I can't figure out how the settings got wiped.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If all they replaced was the screen, I can't figure out how the settings got wiped.
Perhaps their master remote was programmed with a "reset to initial settings" sequence?

They definitely just swapped the screen - they didn't come with other parts, and I saw them move the guts and the housing from the old panel to the new one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Perhaps their master remote was programmed with a "reset to initial settings" sequence?

They definitely just swapped the screen - they didn't come with other parts, and I saw them move the guts and the housing from the old panel to the new one.
The one thing I noticed was the tech took his cell phone and he took some kind of reading on the back of the MB after he swapped screens.
The panel wasn't even plugged in at the time, so I don't know what he was doing.

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
Picked up one of the Panasonic 55FZ950's last week. What a great unit. my first OLED. The panel seems to be a good one. All was good for a week of use, then last night it did a really scary thing.

I was watching something in HDR late last night, and noticed this thick black line forming seemingly over the span of 5 mins, then when I checked the grey scale things it was fully formed into a pretty unsightly band.

So I got a bit freaked out as you can imagine nothing seemed to make it go away, so when I went to bed I had it run the full panel maintenence (80 minute one) and when it was done, this is what it looked like:

So, it seemed to fix it completely which is good. Then in the morning when I woke up, I realised that there was a sun band from the window almost exactly in the spot where I had this dark line! A bit of googling and sure enough, I am almost 100% sure this was caused by a thin band of direct sunlight on the TV. I am not sure why it took a week, then only 5 minutes of viewing in one fine evening for the effects to reveal themselves but yeah, I really didnt expect this to happen.

So just a warning guys, be bloody careful with any sun at all on your panel. I had my blinds closed, this must have been a thin band getting through the gap in the blinds, only for a couple hours too, by lunch, the sun is above the house so obviously the right turn of events can cause this unsightly issue.

Anyway, I was gearing up to take the unit back today but it seems like I wont have to, I am quite happy about that since I wasnt looking forward to any kind of panel lottery since otherwise this panel is excellent.

·
Registered
16,386 Posts

[email protected]%#$

I took the time to create a detailed Word doc on all of the default settings when I first got my panel. Then as I tweaked the settings, I kept the doc current so in case something happened I could easily and quickly re-input the settings I changed back in. I found it very useful when I was playing around with various settings so if I didn't like something, I could go back to square one without having to reset the panel back to default.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When you say “YouTube app button” do you mean the yellow search button in the lower right corner of the screen? Because that burned in for me. I told them that they need to omit that small yellow square as it is not present on the YouTube app on my Vizio p series quantum (meaning each tv brand has subtle differences with their YouTube apps). I’m in the process of a panel replacement right now. 7 pixel refreshes and it’s still there! I’m wondering if they’d give me the newer pixel structure if I request it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, the yellow button in the lower right of YouTube app from LG Content Store. Since I reported this, they have updated the app by placing dark, translucent oval near the buttons to reduce the likelihood of burn-in. I'm getting a replacement screen installed Thursday.

·
Registered
491 Posts
So just a warning guys, be bloody careful with any sun at all on your panel. I had my blinds closed, this must have been a thin band getting through the gap in the blinds, only for a couple hours too, by lunch, the sun is above the house so obviously the right turn of events can cause this unsightly issue.
Interesting. TV should be turned on or off to get burn-in from sunlight? Or in both cases?

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
Interesting. TV should be turned on or off to get burn-in from sunlight? Or in both cases?
It was off!

I figured out this sunlight in the location it was must have been right around sunrise, I was certainly sleeping at that point.

I would also assume if it was on, the issue would be more rapid in its onset since the pixels are already getting hot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I took the time to create a detailed Word doc on all of the default settings when I first got my panel. Then as I tweaked the settings, I kept the doc current so in case something happened I could easily and quickly re-input the settings I changed back in. I found it very useful when I was playing around with various settings so if I didn't like something, I could go back to square one without having to reset the panel back to default.
Well, if the repair shop had given me a warning that they'd be resetting to factory defaults (clearly what they did), I'd have gone through my settings and written them down as well... but w/o warning, I was stuck.

Also, even with settings written down, I'd have to re-download and re-authenticate to every app as well as going through settings-tweaking.

I let LG know this was done and am interested to hear what they say... maybe this is (recent?) a new step in panel replacement to make sure that the set is really starting from nothing after a new panel is installed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, if the repair shop had given me a warning that they'd be resetting to factory defaults (clearly what they did), I'd have gone through my settings and written them down as well... but w/o warning, I was stuck.

Also, even with settings written down, I'd have to re-download and re-authenticate to every app as well as going through settings-tweaking.

I let LG know this was done and am interested to hear what they say... maybe this is (recent?) a new step in panel replacement to make sure that the set is really starting from nothing after a new panel is installed.
Was the person who replaced the screen somebody from the store you bought it from, or an LG tech?
Once again, I've had two screens replaced, and both times by one LG tech, and the settings remained in tact.
In fact, the panel was on the same station as soon as he turned it back on.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yes, the yellow button in the lower right of YouTube app from LG Content Store. Since I reported this, they have updated the app by placing dark, translucent oval near the buttons to reduce the likelihood of burn-in. I'm getting a replacement screen installed Thursday.

Hmm I’m not seeing anything different. What do you mean by “placing a dark translucent oval near the buttons”? Can you show me a photo? Perhaps you are in a different region and have gotten the app update before me? I’m in Canada. Where are you located?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Picked up one of the Panasonic 55FZ950's last week. What a great unit. my first OLED. The panel seems to be a good one. All was good for a week of use, then last night it did a really scary thing.

I was watching something in HDR late last night, and noticed this thick black line forming seemingly over the span of 5 mins, then when I checked the grey scale things it was fully formed into a pretty unsightly band.

So I got a bit freaked out as you can imagine nothing seemed to make it go away, so when I went to bed I had it run the full panel maintenence (80 minute one) and when it was done, this is what it looked like:

So, it seemed to fix it completely which is good. Then in the morning when I woke up, I realised that there was a sun band from the window almost exactly in the spot where I had this dark line! A bit of googling and sure enough, I am almost 100% sure this was caused by a thin band of direct sunlight on the TV. I am not sure why it took a week, then only 5 minutes of viewing in one fine evening for the effects to reveal themselves but yeah, I really didnt expect this to happen.

Anyway, I was gearing up to take the unit back today but it seems like I wont have to, I am quite happy about that since I wasnt looking forward to any kind of panel lottery since otherwise this panel is excellent.

Wow! I’ve never heard of this. Interesting. Such a fragile technology:(.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Wow! I’ve never heard of this. Interesting. Such a fragile technology:(.

It's been talked about many times before. Direct sunlight hitting an Oled screen is a no no.

Reactions: smitty

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
^^^ This is very interesting because I have a large window that lets in sunlight everyday. In certain time of the day when it's sunny, it points towards my tv but I rarely watch during the day because I work days, unless it's the weekend but I have not experienced such an issue.

I am not about to close my blinds either, when I'm not home but I will certainly keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Your lucky ya got a 2017 model. LG no longer has 2016 (3D) screen replacements per my understanding. And the 2018 models...those warnings in the owners manuals might mean folks are out of luck.
They still make them. Mine was a Dec-15 build. The label on the replacement box was Dec-18.

3501 - 3520 of 4544 Posts