AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 4635 Posts

·
Banned
844 Posts
We are talking about burn in which is permanent IR is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you read the thread, you'll see both IR and burn-in are being discussed, hence my post on IR. Since the OP is considering a C6, it is pertinent.
Hope this helps you understand.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
OLED screen burn

If you read the thread, you'll see both IR and burn-in are being discussed, hence my post on IR. Since the OP is considering a C6, it is pertinent.

Hope this helps you understand.

There's really nothing to understand it is a non-issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: video_analysis

·
Registered
785 Posts
New guy, one and only post and he's seen something no one else has.

hmmmmmm???
Glad people are here to call BS on that stuff. Unfortunately though, I think it still damages the reputation of the technology since this (non)issue keeps popping up again and again in this forum. Now let's get back to arguing about the efficacy of screen shift! :D

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Just because you don't have it doesn't mean it doesn't exist! Image retention and permanent screen burn in are real issues with these displays! Any static images period can burn into these displays and very quickly especially with many of the LG presets and anything in HDR mode. The fact they don't cover screen burn in their warranty is an omission in and of itself that this problem exists. I have seen numerous Oled display models with image retention first hand and also Oled is unique in the fact that IR doesn't necessarily affect a white screen like plasma used to, numerous youtube videos have it is only visible with certain colors being displayed on the screen as in blues, greens or in my case reds (also yellow, brown, orange, fleshtones) as the aspect ratio and sound out icon from their menu system are burned into my 65C6P screen.

LG's customer service thus far has been extremely poor and I am being more than kind in that statement. I will be posting pictures shortly.

Question how do I post pics from my personal computer? The insert image icon is asking for a URL? My photos are not available on a website. There used to be a paperclip icon to attach files from a PC.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
IMG_20170405_174233838.jpg

IMG_20170405_174314798.jpg

IMG_20170405_174333097.jpg

These are a 2nd set of photos sent to LG after they requested a set. The rep I talked to opened them and stated all she could see was a red screen with the IR from the icons invisible to her. She stated her manager looked at the photos as well and so no IR. I then asked for the name of the manger first and then to speak to the manager. She could neither give me the name of the manager and then changed the story to the fact that the manager never saw the photos. This was the 3rd representative I talked claiming to have no visibility of the beyond distinct menu icons.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
These are the 1st set of attachments sent in and I spoke to 2 sets of representatives. Neither stated they could see anything more than a red screen. My patience wears a little thin when someone is lying straight to my face. Unless the 3 reps I talked to are either color blind or all severely need an eye exam and a set of glasses.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Wait, so the TV setting icon are burned in the TV?

How long were they displayed good Lord?

I have a video game ui with 1000 hours in and there's not a hint of burn in.

I supposed you did a manual panel noise removal?
Turn on the menu icon on your display and tell me how long it stays on the screen before vanishing? On mine it is 124 seconds before it disappears! Stating it is an impossibility for the menu to display for any extended amount of time whatsoever. It would be impossible to fall asleep and wake up 12 hours later with the menu still up. I am a prior plasma owner so yes screen shift was and clear panel noise has been used numerous times. I spent a week trying to get rid of it prior even contacting LG using the Disney WOW pixel flipper and clear panel noise on numerous occasions. Unlike plasma where running the Pixel flipper or screen wipe in torch mode would at least lighten the burn in this doesn't seem to have any affect here. YouTube has numerous fantastic dead pixel, screen burn videos that go upward of 12 hours but after trying I am simply putting hours on the set which is foolish.

Lastly panel variation is going to be a big factor. Panasonic VT series (which I owned, the bright white Oppo logo from my BDP-103 burned in very quickly after buying the set) and ZT60's were very prone to image retention and burn in while the ST and S series were not. Also this is only visible on a red screen (yellow, orange, brown and fleshtones). It is not visible on a white screen, blue screen or a green screen. Also the only menu icons showing the severe IR are the aspect ratio and sound out. The safety (purple), sleep timer (green) and picture mode (blue) icons are not showing IR at all which is bizarre since everything should show the severe IR equally. I first noticed this with content and then putting up the Disney red slide. Using the red color filter has the same effect on a white slide.

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
Turn on the menu icon on your display and tell me how long it stays on the screen before vanishing? On mine it is 124 seconds before it disappears! Stating it is an impossibility for the menu to display for any extended amount of time whatsoever. It would be impossible to fall asleep and wake up 12 hours later with the menu still up. I am a prior plasma owner so yes screen shift was and clear panel noise has been used numerous times. I spent a week trying to get rid of it prior even contacting LG using the Disney WOW pixel flipper and clear panel noise on numerous occasions. Unlike plasma where running the Pixel flipper or screen wipe in torch mode would at least lighten the burn in this doesn't seem to have any affect here. YouTube has numerous fantastic dead pixel, screen burn videos that go upward of 12 hours but after trying I am simply putting hours on the set which is foolish.

Lastly panel variation is going to be a big factor. Panasonic VT and ZT60's were very prone to image retention and burn in while the ST and S series were not. Also this is only visible on a red screen (yellow, orange, brown and fleshtones). It is not visible on a white screen, blue screen or a green screen. Also the only menu icons burned in are the aspect ratio and sound out. The safety (purple), sleep timer (green) and picture mode (blue) icons are showing no burn in at all of any kind which is bizarre since everything should have burned in equally.
Humm interesting.

Don't understand why LG don't see the issue.

Keep putting pressure on.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That is strange that the color affects it since the LG panels are WOLED and not RGBOLED. With that in mind is it possible somehow the color filters are the issue here?

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
That is strange that the color affects it since the LG panels are WOLED and not RGBOLED. With that in mind is it possible somehow the color filters are the issue here?
Yeah it's really puzzling.

How can a color filter be burned in.

Why only on red.

This is mysterious and interesting

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
The advise I got was put the display into store mode which I did as it refreshes the settings every few minutes. I did this and put the display into torch mode (Vivid) and played 12 hours of dead pixel screen burn RGB flash videos. These videos are nice because they will generally go from one dead pixel video to the next so little risk of it getting stuck on a static display of youtube videos.

Now in dealing with LG The 1st representative I talked to named Kyle stated "these displays are prone to burn in" verbatim and this was an out of warranty issue. Talking to Danny an LG Rep who sets up the wall displays at Best Buy stationed out of Indianapolis was very aware of the burn in issue as well and had seen it on numerous occasions with the BB displays. He was very professional unlike what I had dealt with before and was lucky enough to run into him as a fluke in my local store. He simply stated this should never ever be an issue you have to deal with and under no circumstances should the menu system ever show severe IR on the display. I also have always used the LG presets being ISF modes and HDR Bright with dynamic contrast turned down. Granted HDR Bright probably being the most dangerous with Oled light and contrast at 100, medium color temp which is the brightest and wide color gamut, but if those settings are prone to severe IR they shouldn't be presets from the factory. I also am stating if it was anything but the menu icons showed extreme IR I would take the hit. Any of the settings or presets within the LG TV is on the company.

Now off to a service center to diagnose at my expense and see if LG steps up to the plate and does the right thing concerning the repair that is well within the 1 year warranty.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would imagine the issue is common with the BB displays as they play the same content in a loop with settings maxed out. Worse case scenario for anything burn in related.

21 - 40 of 4635 Posts