AVS Forum banner

4541 - 4560 of 4635 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am possibly going to be a first time OLED owner. I am looking at a Sony A9G or A8H, unless the LG CX is better. My question is, burn-in. I will be watching the news for a half hour each day, at least 5-6 days per week, then a lot of TV shows. Multiple every day, for in excess of four hours each day, and the logo from the channels will be in the lower corner. Some days, it will be several hours on the same channel.

I will also be watching some occasional hockey games, and bowling matches. Some animated shows. I will be doing no gaming at all. Just watching TV shows and movies streamed from a Roku on various streaming services, and cable TV on my providers cable TV app.

1. What are my burn-in risks?
2. Is OLED a good choice for this?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Check eBay and you'll see numerous newer sets with burn-in. I picked up a cheap burnt-in Sony A8F for about $100. But I think you're ok with the way you plan to use it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, a few members have posted about being bought out. If I were you, I'd at least listen to their offer, and even counter-offer if you think it's too low. Doesn't hurt to try. You may end up being pleasantly surprised.
Thanks I'll have to do a more thorough search of the thread to see what others have gotten.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Maybe...but not suppose to run the full program more than once a year at most according to Sony's A1E owners manual. From page 7 "Protecting the TV Screen (OLED TV)"

"Panel refresh

Panel refresh will automatically run to adjust the uniformity
of the TV screen after it has been in use for long periods of
time. Panel refresh can also be performed manually and
should only be used if image retention is very noticeable or
you see the following message: [Panel refresh did not
finish…]

Caution:
• The Panel refresh function may affect the panel. As a
reference, perform the Panel refresh only once a year, do
not perform it more than once a year as it may affect the
usable life of the panel.

• Panel refresh takes about one hour to complete.
• A white line may be displayed on the screen during the
Panel refresh, this is not a malfunction of the TV.
• Panel refresh will only work when the room temperature
is between 50 ºF and 104 ºF (10 ºC and 40 ºC)."

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4693/46936611M.pdf
It helped noticeably on my burn-in but it's still there. I'm tempted to run it again but maybe I should take my prize instead of going with what's behind the door.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm about to buy a LG CX 65". My only concern is burn ins. It will be my primary TV. I watch varies material throughout the day. On Sunday, I watch football on RedZone, but I tend to flip through channels every so often. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm really looking forward to the CX.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you spend a lot of time looking at red slides, I would be slightly concerned. You might see a few pixels miscolored after a few years use. Very concerning...

All kidding aside - make sure your OLED screen saving feature are on, don't do anything negligent, and you'll be okay ;) I used my OLED 65" C7 as monitor for a PC for 3 years and experienced no burn-in. I used screen savers, lowered screen brightness + used power saving features during desktop use, and would always turn off the TV if I was leaving the room.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I'm about to buy a LG CX 65". My only concern is burn ins. It will be my primary TV. I watch varies material throughout the day. On Sunday, I watch football on RedZone, but I tend to flip through channels every so often. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm really looking forward to the CX.
As long as your regular viewing habits don't include watching a few hours or more per day of the same channel or playing the same game, with the same bright, colorful static logos/graphics on screen, every day, you should be fine. When you do watch such content, just turn your OLED light down as much as possible, and when if/when you watch news channels, you may want to use zoom features to push the bright/colorful static logos/graphics off the screen.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
If you spend a lot of time looking at red slides, I would be slightly concerned. You might see a few pixels miscolored after a few years use. Very concerning...

All kidding aside - make sure your OLED screen saving feature are on, don't do anything negligent, and you'll be okay ;) I used my OLED 65" C7 as monitor for a PC for 3 years and experienced no burn-in. I used screen savers, lowered screen brightness + used power saving features during desktop use, and would always turn off the TV if I was leaving the room.
Good advice. Those precautions go a long way to preventing burn-in on OLEDs. A little babysitting goes a long way.

·
Premium Member
6,281 Posts
Enjoy the CX, your viewing habits are similar to mine. The sets are bought to be watched and the the 2020's are even more resilient than previous models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Really unsure of what it is I’m dealing with and looking at. I thought it was burn in with presence of reds, or pixel aging unevenly?
Drives me crazy to see, it started appearing 8 months ago, and it uh definitely has seen some usage at about 17600 hours.. I took pictures of solid colors to demonstrate.....uneven lighting? It looks like areas of the screen that were black bars on 4:3 content or widescreen that doesn’t fit, the reds are excessive. Blue and green don’t manifest it, if there’s yellow or magenta is gets noticeable. Is this normal wear where the pixels on in the center of the screen have dimmed noticeable compared to what showed black for extended periods?

After reading through some of these posts, I pulled some settings back out of not good values. I’ve made a lot of effort to not leave static images on. Is it just aged and old now? :(

·
Registered
332 Posts
Really unsure of what it is I’m dealing with and looking at. I thought it was burn in with presence of reds, or pixel aging unevenly?
Drives me crazy to see, it started appearing 8 months ago, and it uh definitely has seen some usage at about 17600 hours.. I took pictures of solid colors to demonstrate.....uneven lighting? It looks like areas of the screen that were black bars on 4:3 content or widescreen that doesn’t fit, the reds are excessive. Blue and green don’t manifest it, if there’s yellow or magenta is gets noticeable. Is this normal wear where the pixels on in the center of the screen have dimmed noticeable compared to what showed black for extended periods?

After reading through some of these posts, I pulled some settings back out of not good values. I’ve made a lot of effort to not leave static images on. Is it just aged and old now? :(
View attachment 3041468 View attachment 3041469 View attachment 3041470 View attachment 3041471 View attachment 3041472 View attachment 3041473
Looks like it's time to replace your TV, that's some burn it you got there, it's a go right ? So that's a 2 yr old tv?it's heavily used though with 790days in total so that's almost 24/7 lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like it's time to replace your TV, that's some burn it you got there, it's a go right ? So that's a 2 yr old tv?it's heavily used though with 790days in total so that's almost 24/7 lol
I thought “oh well, that sucks it’s burn in” but I can’t understand how areas of the screen that showed black (or rather you find out how much content isn’t truly black but a very dark grey) would result in burn in.. and how black/grey shows exacerbated reds?

What ultimately makes me question burn in over faded pixels, is blue or green scenes, looks perfect.
Around production time for this model, LG claimed 100,000 hour lifespan. I’m not even at 20,000 and it looks like this...? Doesn’t add up

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
That’s the thing, the middle is the only portion that looks normal, the edges are suspicious. Does anyone know how long LG’s OLED panels actually last? This is maybe a fifth into it’s claimed lifespan
No, the middle is burned in. The sides look normal. On the yellow screen, burn in will show up as green, as it does in your case in the middle. The fact that you don't see it with blue or green scenes is in line with others who've gotten burn in, myself included. Burn in is the same thing as uneven pixel wear (faded pixels) when it comes to OLED.

·
Registered
332 Posts
So I just bought the A9G from BB. Are you guys saying I should've/should buy the extended warranty? I do watch a fair amount of news channels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, the middle is burned in. The sides look normal. On the yellow screen, burn in will show up as green, as it does in your case in the middle. The fact that you don't see it with blue or green scenes is in line with others who've gotten burn in, myself included. Burn in is the same thing as uneven pixel wear (faded pixels) when it comes to OLED.
I apologize, it’s been eating at me more. I understand maybe my center red pixels are below acceptable. It displays movies, shows beautifully.

I PROMISE YOU, I chose a poor camera I thought could do justice, the middle is the ONLY normal portion!

Where black bars, 50% transparency black stained only the OUTER framing of the panel with EXCESSIVE reds. Tounderstand I turned a large combination of color values maximum or minimum. Same. Some objects look acceptable with added red, but as soon as skin tone hit the red barriers, skins tone is WRONG and UGLY, like spray tan ugly.

it handled accidental 2-3 hour stuck static images, and showed temporary retention gone in 2hours from games. From the bottom of my heart the panel has displayed 85% of constantly moving pictures, screen savers or it’s OFF..

Forgive me I’m flabbergasted. May I ask a favor, could you point me to contact LG about this, or reference threads?
I hate new guys coming in, reading nothing and demanding answers of what’s clearly posted, I can’t read nearly 5k posts for a clue to follow. I’m going to LG, it doesn’t add up. If it doesn’t add up, social media their sets can cope with barely 3 years of doing what it’s designed to do, failing 1/4 lifespan in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’d imagine 100K hours to look like an old tv and eventually random pixels go black, sure. But if LG puts “100,000” for the count of hours on their site YES, I fully expect to be able to count on that figure, being reasonable let’s say half, no?
So that when two people have opposing schedules and one using the tv heavy with games and their shows, then the other their shows which trust me are VASTLY different in what colors occupy the pixels, YES. Yes I definitely do expect a “superior” tv to last more than 3 years before the reds looks like an unbiased load of crap

Side note - if LG‘s legal department approves 100,000 hour lifespan, HOW is that anyone on here’s fault or problem? Regardless of if it’s a lie or marketing.

4541 - 4560 of 4635 Posts