AVS Forum banner

4621 - 4640 of 4655 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
But most people outside the US dont have a cnn or msnbc in their respective countries, so is the solution as easy to not just watch those channels, BI cases on 2017/2016 panels have been well documented in many countries. And the most number of cases i have personally come across on those older oled panels have been complaints from people of having the youtube app logo burned in. If you're making the case against watching news channels to maintain your sanity, then i would agree. You get nothing out of news, and from what i gather from family/friends staying in the US, CNN and that australian magnate owned channel (name?) are just arms of different political parties, blindly align yourself with a party and keep peddling their narrative all day.
Look - I was kind of teasing here. Lets not get into some news channel debate. I dont watch any of them. I watch good TV shows, some sports and lots of movies. Thats what you buy a high-end, top performing TV for. ;)

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
The facts I've stated have nothing to do with predictions of burn-in because use cases vary. The simple fact is that static or repeating patterns cause burn-in. That's a fact. It's been proven by observation with Rtings tests as well as anyone who's ever experienced OLED burn-in. Rtings tests also prove that random content without static areas and without repeating patterns, does not cause burn-in. The facts and proof are right in front of all of us.

The Rtings burn-in tests also prove that content with static areas of different colors and different brightness settings burn-in at different rates. This means that not everyone will experience burn-in during their ownership due to variables in content watched, total hours watched, and TV settings. These facts have been proven by Rtings tests and by OLED owner reports.

As far as why we always quote Rtings, it's because they are independent (don't accept ad revenue; buy their own review products) and they're the gold standard in OLED burn-in tests. Rtings is the best, most credible source available to my knowledge. If anyone has a better, more credible source for independent OLED burn-in testing, feel free to post it. I'm only aware of Rtings.

Like another poster just mentioned, Rtings tests are for older models so may not adequately represent burn-in performance of newer/current models. No one can say definitively that newer models are more resistant or less resistant to burn-in than the C7s Rtings tested as Rtings has not tested the newer models. And since even the C7 would take someone at least a few thousand hours (according to Rtings test) of CNN or similar content to cause burn-in, most OLED owners wouldn't reach that threshold for a few years or more in real world viewing. And I doubt most people watch that much CNN to begin with. This "OLED burn in happens over a long period of time" may explain why newer models released in the last 2-3 years haven't seen much burn-in yet.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
The facts I've stated have nothing to do with predictions of burn-in because use cases vary. The simple fact is that static or repeating patterns cause burn-in. That's a fact. It's been proven by observation with Rtings tests as well as anyone who's ever experienced OLED burn-in. Rtings tests also prove that random content without static areas and without repeating patterns, does not cause burn-in. The facts and proof are right in front of all of us.

The Rtings burn-in tests also prove that content with static areas of different colors and different brightness settings burn-in at different rates. This means that not everyone will experience burn-in during their ownership due to variables in content watched, total hours watched, and TV settings. These facts have been proven by Rtings tests and by OLED owner reports.

As far as why we always quote Rtings, it's because they are independent (don't accept ad revenue; buy their own review products) and they're the gold standard in OLED burn-in tests. Rtings is the best, most credible source available to my knowledge. If anyone has a better, more credible source for independent OLED burn-in testing, feel free to post it. I'm only aware of Rtings.

Like another poster just mentioned, Rtings tests are for older models so may not adequately represent burn-in performance of newer/current models. No one can say definitively that newer models are more resistant or less resistant to burn-in than the C7s Rtings tested as Rtings has not tested the newer models. And since even the C7 would take someone at least a few thousand hours (according to Rtings test) of CNN or similar content to cause burn-in, most OLED owners wouldn't reach that threshold for a few years or more in real world viewing. And I doubt most people watch that much CNN to begin with. This "OLED burn in happens over a long period of time" may explain why newer models released in the last 2-3 years haven't seen much burn-in yet.
I guess the important take-away from this is that the large majority of OLED owners/users wont have to worry about this issue. Thats how its always been for emissive displays. You will get some casualties but they always tend to fall into the edge case use bucket. Yes, an ocassional person might get a bad panel and have a problem with very normal use but thats extremely rare. So, in the end, prospecttive buyers needent worry unless they use the set in a way that would be considered not normal. To me that means heavy gaming or watching several hours of the same logo-plastered channels day in, day out.

Reactions: Cam1977

·
Registered
302 Posts

Is this real or vaporware? I have never heard of this and there is virtually no information about it. Seems like this came out of nowhere. If true OLED will dominate hard, total game changer.

·
Registered
302 Posts
This was its own thread and was moved to the Master burn in thread. If this claim has any shred of accuracy I think it merits its own thread! Reason being that this would be a complete game changer and the purpose of this post is not to monitor burn-in on existing technology. If the claims made in the aforementioned video are even half true it would be seizmik!! It would completely change the field and doesn't belong in a stale thread. This thread serves as a reference for an issue most have already made up their minds on. The above claim is new and exciting!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I guess the important take-away from this is that the large majority of OLED owners/users wont have to worry about this issue.
We agree on that. The vast majority of OLED owners probably won't experience burn-in during their ownership because the vast majority of owners won't watch the same channel or play the same game for enough total hours over the life of the TV for burn-in to become visible.
Yes, an ocassional person might get a bad panel and have a problem with very normal use but thats extremely rare.
We have no data that I'm aware of on bad panels being a cause of burn-in. If you have any data, please share.
So, in the end, prospecttive buyers needent worry unless they use the set in a way that would be considered not normal.
Depends on what one considers "normal." That's subjective and varies from person to person.
To me that means heavy gaming or watching several hours of the same logo-plastered channels day in, day out.
Fair enough. But someone else may consider watching several hours a day of channels with logos to be normal TV viewing.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
We agree on that. The vast majority of OLED owners probably won't experience burn-in during their ownership because the vast majority of owners won't watch the same channel or play the same game for enough total hours over the life of the TV for burn-in to become visible.

We have no data that I'm aware of on bad panels being a cause of burn-in. If you have any data, please share.

Depends on what one considers "normal." That's subjective and varies from person to person.

Fair enough. But someone else may consider watching several hours a day of channels with logos to be normal TV viewing.
My "bad panel" comment covers those that get burn in from very mild use or well ahead of the time frame that you'd normally see it. Of course, we also have to accept they are being honest about their usage.

Yes, normal is subjective but I'd like to think that a higher end TV like an OLED is being used for a variety of programming with most of that being sports/TV shows/movies. I guess I would question why anyone would buy a high end TV to watch news channels. Like getting a Ferrari 488 for pizza delivery. :)

Either way, emissive display owners are well aware of what to do and not do. I also think the sets are getting better with BI control. Even so, I still recommend LCDs for quite a few friends and family members even though they love my TV when they see it.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Barry Young and Flatpanelshd confirmed it happened with the panels in 2017 TVs, that's why it's marked as high confidence.(New pixel structure will make 2017 OLED TVs brighter ....read the comments) Still looking for evidence for the memory based compensation introduction. Do send if you can find that link.

I have come across cases of Sony A1E though, but they are rarer, but that might indeed be because of lesser units sold and then also Sony's lower brightness and more aggressive ABL. It still happens though. Sony A1E OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

I guess LG are holding back for some competition to unleash the next gen of changes. I'm really interested in data about C8 burn-n, because the increase in red subpixel size might very well have substantial effect on burn-in free performance, and then they did it again in C9 too. So it very well might have solved burn-in issues for most people.Can'tsure without data though. Chime in, C8 owners!!

Really need Rtings to do an updated burn-in test with some newer models,even if it's just with 2-3 TVs.
Yes...that 2016/2017 change did little to change BI as seen by this long tread and Ratings tests. From the same web site you referenced, new 2018 model comment:

"So what is new this year? Well, the OLED range will follow the same pattern with B8, C8, E8, G8, and W8 OLED models. The panels are more or less unchanged, or as LG prefers to put it; the ”technical specifications” are unchanged, which means that resolution, color gamut, and peak brightness remain the same. However, there is one change. LG Display has made a modification to the pixel structure to further reduce the risk of retention / burn-in. "

I believe it was this change, in 2018...larger red sub-pixel that is responsible for the reduced number of BI reports we see in later models. Rtings really should do a BI test again, guess they are short on funds to run one...

Reactions: no1special

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes...that 2016/2017 change did little to change BI as seen by this long tread and Ratings tests. From the same web site you referenced, new 2018 model comment:

"So what is new this year? Well, the OLED range will follow the same pattern with B8, C8, E8, G8, and W8 OLED models. The panels are more or less unchanged, or as LG prefers to put it; the ”technical specifications” are unchanged, which means that resolution, color gamut, and peak brightness remain the same. However, there is one change. LG Display has made a modification to the pixel structure to further reduce the risk of retention / burn-in. "

I believe it was this change, in 2018...larger red sub-pixel that is responsible for the reduced number of BI reports we see in later models. Rtings really should do a BI test again, guess they are short on funds to run one...
It didn't do little. It did a lot, but not enough. As Rtings's tests showed, B6 had permanent logo burn-in at 500 hours or so. C7 on the other hand had it at 3000+ hours. Is that not a big improvement? Not enough for users to not have issues within 2-3 years depending on their usage, but big nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
It didn't do little. It did a lot, but not enough. As Rtings's tests showed, B6 had permanent logo burn-in at 500 hours or so. C7 on the other hand had it at 3000+ hours. Is that not a big improvement? Not enough for users to not have issues within 2-3 years depending on their usage, but big nonetheless.
Hard to say...not many reports I remember seeing in this thread regarding 2015 models. But that could be because of high prices/fewer sales. Majority of BI reports are 2016/2017 models as you know. Also when prices dropped and they became more affordable to the masses.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
My "bad panel" comment covers those that get burn in from very mild use or well ahead of the time frame that you'd normally see it. Of course, we also have to accept they are being honest about their usage.

Yes, normal is subjective but I'd like to think that a higher end TV like an OLED is being used for a variety of programming with most of that being sports/TV shows/movies. I guess I would question why anyone would buy a high end TV to watch news channels. Like getting a Ferrari 488 for pizza delivery. :)

Either way, emissive display owners are well aware of what to do and not do. I also think the sets are getting better with BI control. Even so, I still recommend LCDs for quite a few friends and family members even though they love my TV when they see it.
Fighting with my GF right now over Oled/LED. She loves the look of the Oleds. But she spends all her time watching news...CNN and MSNBC. Add the murder channel now and then... Explained to her that for her viewing habits Oleds are a poor choice. She seems to be coming around to my way of thinking at this point...but I am not up to date on LED tv's...can offer little advise as to which models are better than others at any given price point. In the stores they all look good to me. Wish I could see them in a dark room to see which ones offer better blacks...closer to Oleds.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
True. We've had few outliers that got burn-in much faster than most people who got it, especially with the 2016 models. Could've been bad panels, but we don't really have any evidence to say definitively. Could've been broken compensation tech circuitry or software. Could've been running it at OLED light 100 with an especially aggressive content. Could've been "inaccurate" reporting like you said.
Yes, normal is subjective but I'd like to think that a higher end TV like an OLED is being used for a variety of programming with most of that being sports/TV shows/movies. I guess I would question why anyone would buy a high end TV to watch news channels.
Well, I don't think the average consumer buys a TV to watch news channels, specifically. I think most average consumers buy an OLED for the PQ and to be able to watch whatever. What some average consumers probably still don't realize is that OLED is not the best choice if the TV is going to display a lot of news channel or any of the same content with the same colorful, static elements on screen. It's just a matter of educating consumers.
I also think the sets are getting better with BI control.
It would appear that they are. Fingers crossed. We all benefit if OLED improves in the burn-in department.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Add the murder channel now and then...
The murder channel?? What's that? :D
Wish I could see them in a dark room to see which ones offer better blacks...closer to Oleds.
Doesn't Rtings measure black levels? I forget. They measure black uniformity and contrast ratio, both with LD on and off. I'm pretty sure Rtings has or can recommend which LCD has best dark room performance.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Fighting with my GF right now over Oled/LED. She loves the look of the Oleds. But she spends all her time watching news...CNN and MSNBC. Add the murder channel now and then... Explained to her that for her viewing habits Oleds are a poor choice. She seems to be coming around to my way of thinking at this point...but I am not up to date on LED tv's...can offer little advise as to which models are better than others at any given price point. In the stores they all look good to me. Wish I could see them in a dark room to see which ones offer better blacks...closer to Oleds.
The only LCDs that will even get close are the top sets from Sony and Samsung that I can think of. You’d have to look at the Q80/90T series from Samsung or the Sony 950H series, I believe. They’ll do OK but wont make you forget the contrast and blacks of an OLED. It’s physically impossible for them to do so. Doesn’t mean they aren’t good TVs. They are. But dark room performance is where OLED really excels. Check those forums and see what the owners say.

Reactions: Kenbar

·
Registered
9 Posts
There has been a considerable caution about burn-in on OLED displays. I have avoided them for that reason. Now, I’m looking at QLED vs OLED and wondering if OLED manufacturers have solved the problem.

·
Registered
15,371 Posts
There is a risk of burn-in with OLEDs, as there was with plasmas. But IMO the risk is overblown as long as you are careful not to watch static, brightly colored logos 24/7 (in Vivid mode). The 2020 models do have less risk than older models, but it's never going to be zero risk with this tech. On the other hand, especially if you watch in a dark room, OLED is superior to QLED (i.e., LCD)! It's your money, but if you avoid OLED tech, you are missing out on the best PQ currently available.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
If you're already suspicious of burn in, you'll remain so , better that you to stick to qled. Just make sure you dont watch qled in a dark room, get a Q90 or Q80 model and you'll be mostly satisfied with the performance.

Reactions: rcruz77
4621 - 4640 of 4655 Posts