AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 4635 Posts

·
Registered
11,766 Posts
I would imagine the issue is common with the BB displays as they play the same content in a loop with settings maxed out. Worse case scenario for anything burn in related.

they also don't run comp cycles in some cases, this instance is bizarre . yet to see anything other than very temporary ir on my set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
^Exactly, what happens in the store is inconsequential. Until they load a forced comp. cycle at startup while in store mode, it's going to keep happening.

As for Pro-630hd's issue, that is certainly a freak occurrence. You're going to get me pulling out my color slides now looking for more than just pixel defects. :)

·
Banned
1,490 Posts

As for Pro-630hd's issue, that is certainly a freak occurrence. You're going to get me pulling out my color slides now looking for more than just pixel defects. :)
That's what I just did.

Found nothing and I'm a huge gamer and recently HDR gamer, so a full backlight displaying a static UI for hours long.

Pro-630hd problem is still really strange.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I would imagine the issue is common with the BB displays as they play the same content in a loop with settings maxed out. Worse case scenario for anything burn in related.
Granted but the loop is dynamic data only. It shouldn't burn in period, there is no static imagery in the loop. It is like playing The Good the Bad & the Ugly on a loop over and over again. Since the material is dynamic and constantly moving it shouldn't burn in in the first place.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Pretty sure Pro has the C6, and it looks like Michael has the E6. It proves that burn-in certainly can still happen...I think I've heard 3 instances of it happening on the 2016 models in people's homes now, with one of them getting a free screen replacement. Pro is entitled to the same treatment at the very least. There is no way that menu should so easily cause such an imprint.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Pretty sure Pro has the C6, and it looks like Michael has the E6. It proves that burn-in certainly can still happen...I think I've heard 3 instances of it happening on the 2016 models in people's homes now, with one of them getting a free screen replacement. Pro is entitled to the same treatment at the very least. There is no way that menu should so easily cause such an imprint.
Makes me wonder if the compensation circuitry in his panel has a defect (or the main processing board which could be blocking it from occurring).

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Unfortunately, that's only wishful thinking. They won't adjust their workflow for any reason. :( Comp. circuitry defect is a plausible theory...which is even more concerning since burn-in could easily become worse without warning.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have heard some OLED TV owners complain of screen burn after only 5 minutes of a static image being on screen. Is this true?
Not even remotely true for my C7.

I use my C7 as a hybrid gaming monitor and TV display. Static imagery is often present with the way I use the display and I have not seen even a hint of image retention or burn in.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
These are the 1st set of attachments sent in and I spoke to 2 sets of representatives. Neither stated they could see anything more than a red screen.
If they're looking at the photos on a typical PC LCD screen, then I'm not surprised.

Perhaps you'd have better luck with a gamma-adjusted photo? I reduced the gamma to 30% on the attached photo, and it's really easy to see now.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have heard some OLED TV owners complain of screen burn after only 5 minutes of a static image being on screen. Is this true?
Its not true on my 65"B6. I have 500 plus hours on the set and image retention has never been an issue let alone burn-in.

I used to own a Samsung f8500 Plasma and that tv had image retention issues for me. I constantly had to baby the screen and minimize the on screen time of tickers, logos, black movie bars, etc. and that was with 600 hours on the tv. It had a nice picture but I was always worried about ruining the screen. So when I took the leap to OLED Image retention was a concern for me too. I have had the B6 for 1.5 years less time than i had the f8500 and the B6 is now approaching the same hours as i had on the f8500! That is because I know I can watch the B6 and not worry about what I am watching and just enjoy the beautiful picture these OLED's have. I am so happy Image retention/burn-in is a non issue for me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Unfortunately, that's only wishful thinking. They won't adjust their workflow for any reason. :( Comp. circuitry defect is a plausible theory...which is even more concerning since burn-in could easily become worse without warning.
I suspect a defect like this is more likely to happen during manufacturing and very few sets would slip by without it working. And so not too likely to become a problem or this would be cropping up more as presumably people are starting to wrack up some decent hours on the the earlier OLED sets. It is true that eventually the comp (and anti-aging) circuitry will eventually no longer work and the panel will slowly degrade after that having reached its end of life, if at that point burn in becomes a problem then rather than slowly degrade it may abruptly degrade, however the anti-burn in measures may continue to work for a while. Hopefully none of this will occur until the sets reach at least 50,000 hours and more hopefully the 100,000 LG claims.

Edit:
I've found this a good starting point discussion (technical) for trying to figure out what is going on during the compensation cycles it kind of picks up in the middle of the patent process along these lines but summarizes earlier efforts:
https://www.google.com/patents/US6995519

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
You can see it across his red bag. Most prominent with red but also shows on green.
Blatantly obvious! You would have to be blind not to see that! Extremely distracting when watching content and for anyone curious do a youtube search and you will see the severe image retention on Oled's is generally specific to certain colors. Thanks for posting this! I am amazed people are denying this is an issue when I have seen multiple instances of this on display models alone and that is within a 50 mile radius of where I live.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can you take more pictures. Closer if possible.

Try using a full red pattern.
Sorry about the angle but camera struggles when full on. Pic does not show the fault up as much as my eyes but you can clearly see the "time" part of the info banner in the L/H bottom corner.

My TV is an LG OLED 55E6.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 4635 Posts