AVS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I use fan speed 2 for the T8 and the noise is barely audible in my room. In comparison, the fan in my PS4 Pro sounds like a jet engine, and the high frequency pitch is far more grating.

I have a T8 on my AVR and a usb fan blowing heat out the back for the PS4 pro. I also have the PS4 pro on legs in order to get air underneath the unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wonder why S8 works for you and T8 doesn't. Specs for fan size, number of fans, air moved and 24dBA noise level are identical. Only difference seems to be control functions. Can you say more because I'm not doubting you but very interested.
Don't think the fan speeds are the same. The wife picked up on it first, then I got sensitised to it, did an A / B comparison.
Could not put up with the T8 for the money, the S8 is fine but not as good as the T8

·
Registered
134 Posts
IYes, the AC Infinity gear is excellent quality, very nicely designed, and I liked them a lot, but I could not stand the noise every time the fans spun up. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Dak, same feelings. I sent you a PM.

Reactions: console

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I have a T8 on my AVR and a usb fan blowing heat out the back for the PS4 pro. I also have the PS4 pro on legs in order to get air underneath the unit.

Do you have the USB fan connected to the PS4 or the AVR? Did the external fan make a noticeable difference in PS4 noise? My original PS4 makes audible fan noises, but the PS4 Pro has been dramatically louder since it was new. It easily has the loudest, most annoying fans of any electronics I own.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Do you have the USB fan connected to the PS4 or the AVR? Did the external fan make a noticeable difference in PS4 noise? My original PS4 makes audible fan noises, but the PS4 Pro has been dramatically louder since it was new. It easily has the loudest, most annoying fans of any electronics I own.

I have the usb fan connected to one of the PS4 pro USB ports. Yes, it’s made a big improvement because it blows all the hot air out the back of my media cabinet.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I have the usb fan connected to one of the PS4 pro USB ports. Yes, it’s made a big improvement because it blows all the hot air out the back of my media cabinet.

Which size fan are you using for the PS4? These fans are cheap enough that I may give it a try.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Which size fan are you using for the PS4? These fans are cheap enough that I may give it a try.

I believe the S5 but you need to measure to see how much room you have, there’s several different sizes.

·
Registered
570 Posts
How are people measuring component temperature without the Aircom sensor? And speaking of that how do Aircom units measure it?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
How are people measuring component temperature without the Aircom sensor? And speaking of that how do Aircom units measure it?

I measured the temperature with my hand...seemed warm. Aircom uses a smart thermostat trigger with fan speed control.

Reactions: obwizards

·
Registered
570 Posts
I measured the temperature with my hand...seemed warm. Aircom uses a smart thermostat trigger with fan speed control.
When I had the T8, it kept the temp at 85 degrees or lower. When I touch the top of AV8805 now, after 2 hours of watching, it is hot. But I don't know what temperature HOT is. That's why I asked how everyone is measuring temperature.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
When I had the T8, it kept the temp at 85 degrees or lower. When I touch the top of AV8805 now, after 2 hours of watching, it is hot. But I don't know what temperature HOT is. That's why I asked how everyone is measuring temperature.
I don't believe anyone is using anything scientific other than touch/feel. I have my AVR on 12-15 hours a day and I don't remember the temp ever going above 85. Is you 8805 sitting on top your amp?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't believe anyone is using anything scientific other than touch/feel. I have my AVR on 12-15 hours a day and I don't remember the temp ever going above 85. Is you 8805 sitting on top your amp?
This pic taken when I had AircomT8 - now removed because it made too much noise - or rather the wrong kind of noise - even in lowest speed. McIntosh runs cool but Marantz gets very hot.

I think people are measuring temperature without Aircom units. I'm really trying to determine if the passive venting with 2" of air space above Marantz (open back open front) is enough without forced air (fans).

How about a meat thermometer with remote sensors?

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP-16-Thermometer-Stainless-Standard/dp/B017613C3C/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=meat+thermometer+with+sensor&qid=1589830786&s=kitchen&sr=1-8

Attachments

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Anyone Using AC Infinity to Cool their AVR?

This pic taken when I had AircomT8 - now removed because it made too much noise - or rather the wrong kind of noise - even in lowest speed. McIntosh runs cool but Marantz gets very hot.

I think people are measuring temperature without Aircom units. I'm really trying to determine if the passive venting with 2" of air space above Marantz (open back open front) is enough without forced air (fans).

How about a meat thermometer with remote sensors?

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP-16-Thermometer-Stainless-Standard/dp/B017613C3C/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=meat+thermometer+with+sensor&qid=1589830786&s=kitchen&sr=1-8

Interesting...you shouldn’t have a problem with heat since your cabinet is open in the front and back. My cabinet is closed in the front and open in the back and I never hear the T8. Of course it could be because I have a closed front but I do know the temp is not above 85 degrees.

Yes, you could lay the thermometer on top of your 8805 or a temp gun - Milwaukee 10:1 Infrared Thermometer 2267-20H https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MD1PWXX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_IVXWEbJBBFJBA

Great looking setup!

·
Registered
18,116 Posts
I use fan speed 2 for the T8 and the noise is barely audible in my room. In comparison, the fan in my PS4 Pro sounds like a jet engine, and the high frequency pitch is far more grating.
I've got three T8's maybe 3 feet behind me, and I can barely hear any of the fans or Oppo 203 running. Except after a movie, when everything else is off and the room is being vacated. They are pretty quiet in my experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'll chime in, I've used their coolers several times in different setups and great success, both the smart coolers and fans. I believe they also help prevent dust build up inside the receiver.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I'll chime in, I've used their coolers several times in different setups and great success, both the smart coolers and fans. I believe they also help prevent dust build up inside the receiver.
That is probably because the AC Infinity unit is sitting on top of the AVR, where dust is most likely to settle. So the top of the AC Infinity unit will collect dust if it is exposed in your home theater setup.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
That is probably because the AC Infinity unit is sitting on top of the AVR, where dust is most likely to settle. So the top of the AC Infinity unit will collect dust if it is exposed in your home theater setup.
Yup, that is correct.

·
Registered
570 Posts
All good responses. Regarding T8 sound, most seem to have no issue with it. I, and a number of other posters, find it objectionable probably for a few different reasons.

I placed a thermometer on top of my Marantz 8805 in the hottest spot. After a 2 hour movie - 104.7 degrees. I'm pretty sure that's too hot so I will try an S8 which another poster found preferable in noise to T8.

321 - 340 of 393 Posts