AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 396 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
All good responses. Regarding T8 sound, most seem to have no issue with it. I, and a number of other posters, find it objectionable probably for a few different reasons.

I placed a thermometer on top of my Marantz 8805 in the hottest spot. After a 2 hour movie - 104.7 degrees. I'm pretty sure that's too hot so I will try an S8 which another poster found preferable in noise to T8.
T9 here is virtually silent with something coming out of the speakers. Check out chart below from Amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
T9 here is virtually silent with something coming out of the speakers. Check out chart below from Amazon.
Yes, I see 3 dB lower noise rating for T9 and, nomenclature that is probably more relevant, which is the word 'blower' for T8 and 'fan' for T9. But I need rear exhaust.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Anyone Using AC Infinity to Cool their AVR?

Yes, I see 3 dB lower noise rating for T9 and, nomenclature that is probably more relevant, which is the word 'blower' for T8 and 'fan' for T9. But I need rear exhaust.

The S9 and T9 fan orientation pulls air up and out of the top of the unit. The T8 pulls the heat up with the fans and then uses the blowers to blow the heat out the back of the unit. You can also put another devise on the T8 but not on the other two. And yes, the T8 will be louder because of the extra blower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
Less is More

The S9 and T9 fan orientation pulls air up and out of the top of the unit. The T8 pulls the heat up with the fans and then uses the blowers to blow the heat out the back of the unit. You can also put another devise on the T8 but not on the other two. And yes, the T8 will be louder because of the extra blower.
Good info. This helps explain and justify exactly why I returned T8 due to noise sound vs. noise level.

I just installed S8 on another posters recommendation. I was very skeptical as its spec was identical to T8 in fans, blowers and dbA. But it's true. S8 noise level is lower than T8 and doesn't have the same sound. I believe this is because fan speed 1 on S8 may be just a little lower than T8.

Also, from my perspectives S8 has all the functionality I need without the multiple display offering of T8. While it's nice to know actual probe temperature it's really not necessary to me. My Marantz AVP stays cool enough in AUTO setting. And I prefer the simpler look and saved $40!

I have to repeat how impressed I am with Aircom quality and functionality, even in this unit for $79.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good info. This helps explain and justify exactly why I returned T8 due to noise sound vs. noise level.

I just installed S8 on another posters recommendation. I was very skeptical as its spec was identical to T8 in fans, blowers and dbA. But it's true. S8 noise level is lower than T8 and doesn't have the same sound. I believe this is because fan speed 1 on S8 may be just a little lower than T8.

Also, from my perspectives S8 has all the functionality I need without the multiple display offering of T8. While it's nice to know actual probe temperature it's really not necessary to me. My Marantz AVP stays cool enough in AUTO setting. And I prefer the simpler look and saved $40!

I have to repeat how impressed I am with Aircom quality and functionality, even in this unit for $79.
Ye of little faith!:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Ye of little faith!:D:D:D:D
IT WAS YOU! I opened the not-as-fancy boxed S8 with a depressed sense of Knowing the pre-ordained fate of returning. Hey, it's not bad I thought. Then I saw that ultra-bright Circle light and hated that but read further and saw I could turn it off. Then I watched a movie and couldn't hear it in quiet passages (I mean I could hear it but it was fine). And now happy.

Thanks so much for your recommendation, OB1.

·
Registered
147 Posts
T8 probe shows high temperature when AVR cool

My T8 (rear exhaust) sits on top of my Denon AVR and usually the probe shows anywhere from 80-85F. They sit in an IKEA Besta cabinet, where there is at least 12" of top clearance and a couple of drilled ventilation holes approx 3-4" in diameter in the backing panel, to allow the warm air being exhausted from the T8 to escape. The cabinet has a front door that provides a bit of edge clearance for better airflow.

We are experiencing a bit of a heat wave, so the room is much hotter than normal. The AVR remains cool to the touch, but the T8 probe, however, is showing 90-99F constantly, even when the AVR is off. Again, the AVR is cool to the touch, so I'm not sure why the probe is detecting such a high temp? It even tripped the alarm, which it does when the probe detects 100F.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
My T8 (rear exhaust) sits on top of my Denon AVR and usually the probe shows anywhere from 80-85F. They sit in an IKEA Besta cabinet, where there is at least 12" of top clearance and a couple of drilled ventilation holes approx 3-4" in diameter in the backing panel, to allow the warm air being exhausted from the T8 to escape. The cabinet has a front door that provides a bit of edge clearance for better airflow.

We are experiencing a bit of a heat wave, so the room is much hotter than normal. The AVR remains cool to the touch, but the T8 probe, however, is showing 90-99F constantly, even when the AVR is off. Again, the AVR is cool to the touch, so I'm not sure why the probe is detecting such a high temp? It even tripped the alarm, which it does when the probe detects 100F.

What is the ambient temperature of your room? I notice that my T8 reads 2-3F above the ambient temperature when the AVR is in standby because it still generates a small amount of heat in this mode, which will be trapped between the AVR and T8 when the T8 is turned off. 90-99F does seem very high unless your room temperature is in the mid 80s or higher.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What is the ambient temperature of your room? I notice that my T8 reads 2-3F above the ambient temperature when the AVR is in standby because it still generates a small amount of heat in this mode, which will be trapped between the AVR and T8 when the T8 is turned off. 90-99F does seem very high unless your room temperature is in the mid 80s or higher.
Room temperature is sitting around 86F, so I guess the T8 (probe now showing 90F) is probably fighting a losing battle until our AC system is turned on -- soon, I hope. But it makes sense that both the intake and the air being exhausted are not being cooled very much, if at all, and the the probe would therefore not be able to detect cooler temps inside the unit.

·
Registered
28,462 Posts
just ordered a S6 rear exhaust for my Anthem MRX 710. The receiver is at another location and only gets used once every two weeks to stream Roku apps. No point getting a full sized unit for such little usage. I have S8, s9 and S10 for three other systems that get much more use.

Love this cooling units, they're quiet and work well for my needs.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Room temperature is sitting around 86F, so I guess the T8 (probe now showing 90F) is probably fighting a losing battle until our AC system is turned on -- soon, I hope. But it makes sense that both the intake and the air being exhausted are not being cooled very much, if at all, and the the probe would therefore not be able to detect cooler temps inside the unit.
86 degrees room temperature? Wow, that’s warm. Reminds me of the days as a kid in the 60’s before my parents purchased AC. Don’t miss those days.
My T8 keeps the Anthem STR Int Amp around 83-84 degrees tops.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just got both an s8 and T8 for my marantz 7012. Well made product. I didn't notice a difference in fan sound as others reported but I do like the t8 display, alarm and the fact that it will shut off faster than the s8 since you can set the fan to shut down 2 degrees below your target temp.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just got both an s8 and T8 for my marantz 7012. Well made product. I didn't notice a difference in fan sound as others reported but I do like the t8 display, alarm and the fact that it will shut off faster than the s8 since you can set the fan to shut down 2 degrees below your target temp.
Smart to audition both. If you don't hear a difference in sound you definitely should get T8.

Always interesting each person's threshold for sound level or differences. I and a number of others on this thread found the T8 objectionable (from 13') and yet Craig Peer has 3 behind his head and doesn't hear anything.

S8 has continued to perform admirably and I can even run it on fan speed 2. Not missing the other feature but IF T8 sounded better (to me) I would prefer that model too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Smart to audition both. If you don't hear a difference in sound you definitely should get T8.

Always interesting each person's threshold for sound level or differences. I and a number of others on this thread found the T8 objectionable (from 13') and yet Craig Peer has 3 behind his head and doesn't hear anything.

S8 has continued to perform admirably and I can even run it on fan speed 2. Not missing the other feature but IF T8 sounded better (to me) I would prefer that model too.
Have you thought about trying another t8? I too have sensitive ears and would definitely not deal with what you described.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Have you thought about trying another t8? I too have sensitive ears and would definitely not deal with what you described.
Yes I have, but I'm trying to learn not to chase perfection when something is good enough. I'm happy and my S8 is happy. I prefer no lights on display. It has all the functions I need. It's keeping my Marantz AVR cool enough. I can't hear it. I don't want to upset the apple cart. When my components start resenting me because they fear replacement, they can make my life miserable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Cooling your AVR

Like many of you, I use an AC Infinity. The T9 model has the temperature display and etc. I was curious how the rest of you utilize the Prob Temp read out. At what temperature on the prob temp display do you feel comfortable or does it even matter since it obviously doesn't tell you what the temperature of the AVR or the Amp is internally. I was also curious what you all are setting your Setting Temp at (if you are using the Smart or auto option on the device) and explain why. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the T10, and set it to Smart at 30C, but it kept going on and off too quickly.

At the suggestion of another forumite, I then set it to Auto, and now it doesn't cycle as much as it did in the Smart mode.

No matter the ambient temperature, my AVR gets up to 29C and then it stays there once the fan kicks in.

I would say set the trigger to 30C on Auto, and see how that works.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JD23 and Dysan

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the T10, and set it to Smart at 30C, but it kept going on and off too quickly.

At the suggestion of another forumite, I then set it to Auto, and now it doesn't cycle as much as it did in the Smart mode.

No matter the ambient temperature, my AVR gets up to 29C and then it stays there once the fan kicks in.

I would say set the trigger to 30C on Auto, and see how that works.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Mine is currently set at 27C. Isnt 30C too high? I guess that would depend on your units ability to handle heat, but its not like we have that information.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
341 - 360 of 396 Posts