AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was at my local best buy recently and found spiderman2 superbit for 9.99. i almost bought it, but looking at the special edition version (selling for 20 bucks, which is what i have), it says "mastered in high definition"

i have a few superbit dvds myself and could notice a small difference from the regular versions, but in this case, which is better?

same goes for once upon a time in mexico, the regular version says mastered in high def, the superbit does not

what gives?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
This just means the source was HD and they used that for the transfer. The DVD is still down rez'd to 480 and compressed like any other disc. The superbit titles just have a higher bitrate used for the video making the picture/detail better in some cases.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwakin
i was at my local best buy recently and found spiderman2 superbit for 9.99. i almost bought it, but looking at the special edition version (selling for 20 bucks, which is what i have), it says "mastered in high definition"

i have a few superbit dvds myself and could notice a small difference from the regular versions, but in this case, which is better?

same goes for once upon a time in mexico, the regular version says mastered in high def, the superbit does not

what gives?
Luv Superbits..... 'specially at bargain price :D

Have a similar question, that's been naggin' at me.

If I understand, there is no difference in the DTS encoding(?), but I always think I hear enhanced channel seperation & dynamics on the Superbits... All in my head, huh?

BTW: I picked up Spidey2 on that BB discount with no problem.

This past weekend, I grabbed S.W.A.T. Superbit, marked at 9.99, and they rang it up for $20.99.

Gave me arguement, saying it was mis-priced at their depot, but ultimately sold it to me for $9.99. hmmmm.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
while on the subject of Superbits, what the heck is going on with Sony? they haven't released a Superbit DVD since Spidey2, with the exception of Fifth Element, Ultimate Edition.

Are they done making Superbit DVDs? why such a long wait in between releases? there are plenty of movies out there that would be just absolute "must-have's" if they were in Superbit! :(

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I wish they would quit the Superbits and make all the releases like the Fifth Element UE - movie in high bit-rate, great transfer on one disc, and the extras on a second disc.

Unfortunately, if it costs say an extra $1 to make the extra disc and use a 2-disc package, that's a huge % of their profits. I don't know what retailers pay, but say the movie studios make $10-15 per DVD, that would be a 7-10% cut in profits. So it has to be worth it for the 2nd disc (projected sales) to warrant spreading it out.

·
23,031 Posts
The Fifth Element UE is a Superbit, it says so right on the box. Whether you call them Superbit or not, it would be nice to have higher bit-rate transfers - without EE of course. :)

larry

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
That's what I mean. There's no need to separate "superbit" (high quality transfer) from the extras/bonus features that standard DVDs get. Except to get people to double-/triple-dip to get the best of both.

Other companies put out DVDs with superb transfers all the time, and put the special features on the second disc. Ie., we watched the 2-disc version of Moulin Rouge last night - amazing picture and amazing (DTS) sound. It's not like other companies are putting out 2-disc versions, and then releasing a separate version with better video/audio.

"Superbit" is just a marketing ploy from Sony, arguably the king of marketing and hype.

That being said, I do have a few Superbit titles that I bought for the PQ and DTS.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo
while on the subject of Superbits, what the heck is going on with Sony? they haven't released a Superbit DVD since Spidey2, with the exception of Fifth Element, Ultimate Edition.

Isn't Closer a SB?

Stew

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Yup, but that was the only version they put out, AFAIK. Same with Adaptation.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
The new Silverado is also a SB.

Stew

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I'd rather they only put out one version that includes a SB title.

Stew

·
23,031 Posts
Quote:
That's what I mean. There's no need to separate "superbit" (high quality transfer) from the extras/bonus features that standard DVDs get. Except to get people to double-/triple-dip to get the best of both.
Oh, ok. I read it the wrong way. Final outcome is still the same... :) I can't remember if DVDs that were not Superbit "branded" (i.e silver boxed) had DTS.

larry

·
Registered
540 Posts
Not sure what "mastered in high definition" is supposed to be.

Sounds like a marketing term to me.

Reminds me of the "digital remastered in 24bit" crap that is used for CDs with material from some old analog stereo tapes. Utterly irrelevant that it is remastered digitally and in 24 bit.

What is essential to a good quality DVD is a good film to mpeg transfer. That the mastering, whatever is described by that, and perhaps it is simply the process of arranging the menu, extras, sound and subtitle options etc, is done in HD is nice but that will make the transfer not any better.

Superbit on the other hand can make a real difference.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
"Mastered in high definition" means they make a HD master from the film version (presumably for Blu-Ray/HD-DVD use), and then down-convert that into DVD resolution. The menus are made to DVD spec from the beginning (I would assume), since there's no reason to spend the extra money for HD menus that won't be used any time soon.

Superbit is just Sony's marketing term for putting more care into and giving more space to the video so it can be encoded at a higher bit rate. But there are still plenty of DVDs out there (some actually with "extras") that can trump many Superbit titles in the PQ department. Sony just makes a big deal out of it, when other companies (at least with bigger releases) do it no matter what.

At least some Sony releases get the Superbit video treatment right off the bat. But at least with Spider-man 2, they were hoping for simultaneous double dippers with people who want both good pq/audio and the extras - when they very well could have made the video on the 2-disc version as good as the Superbit (ala Fifth Element UE).

At least I can still check out the bonus discs from Netflix if you really want to see what's on it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
All the above bein' said.... and if there were absolutely no difference in PQ...

I would still opt for the SB, just to bypass all the previews, adds and assundry residue One is normally forced to endure, before bein' allowed to view that which was the object of the purchase. :D he..he..

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
Not sure what "mastered in high definition" is supposed to be.

Sounds like a marketing term to me.
So I suppose a D2 master would suffice. :D

Quote:
Reminds me of the "digital remastered in 24bit" crap that is used for CDs with material from some old analog stereo tapes. Utterly irrelevant that it is remastered digitally and in 24 bit.
It's not crap if it's telling you what it was remastered in. It's alot better that just putting DDD on the back.

Quote:
What is essential to a good quality DVD is a good film to mpeg transfer. That the mastering, whatever is described by that, and perhaps it is simply the process of arranging the menu, extras, sound and subtitle options etc, is done in HD is nice but that will make the transfer not any better.
There's no telecine process that records film to a lossy codec like mpeg or mpeg2. It's always a lossless format so stuff like color correction and other stuff can be applied cleanly. After that comes downrezing to standard def dvd and then compression, which is only one process in the whole chain.

Quote:
Superbit on the other hand can make a real difference.
It's actually just a logo on the box. Don't be fooled. It's entirely possible to deliver a reference quality dvd without. And the differences between a movie in Superbit and nonSuperbit is nowhere as big as going from a dvd that wasn't mastered in hidef to a movie that was.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri
Just look at the percentage of Superbit titles on the Reference List (and nominations), which proves that Sony's special "Superbit" marketing isn't the only place producing high-quality DVD transfers:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=372989

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that Sony's special "Superbit" is the only place producing high-quality DVD transfers, so there's no reason to "prove" that statement false.

You've seriously heard someone say that, or are you just speaking in hyperbole?

Stew

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.