AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I noticed more detail in the background scenery in the CBS OTA transmission. With Ch. 198 enjoying a transponder all to itself, I was surprised to observe this.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Neither. Assuming your CBS affiliate is not multicasting, they should look identical.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
There isn't a Network Logo or Bug in the corner of the USA-HD from DishNetwork or from WUSA CBS in DC. The O&O CBS WJZ in Baltimore still has their bug on the screen.

PQ I can't tell the difference. DD5.1 light via Satellite but not OTA.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I think maybe there should have been a third option on the poll. I vote "they looked the same", too.

I was comparing KCBS 2 in LA and DirecTV 198, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Since it wasn't on CBS today in HD, I have to say it looked great on 198.

Jim

·
Registered
683 Posts
I thought the PQ was slightly crisper on DirecTV. Isn't PQ from OTA sources reliant upon the quality of the antennae while satellite is pretty much consistant regardless of the type of dish? I guess the satellite STB might also present variables as well. In any event, in the past, such as with the AFC playoffs on CBS and CSI Miami, I've had no complaint about PQ from CBS, and had a DirecTV signal not been available, I'm sure I'd have been perfectly happy with the OTA signal. Plus, I could simply be seeing things. Either way, I'm a happy man!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Neither. Assuming your CBS affiliate is not multicasting, they should look identical.
Oh good, 'neither' was my choice between WBZ (Boston) & DirecTV. I did confirm that both looked better than the SD USA channel.:p

Sound was better from DTV - sounded like stereo, while WBZ was center channel only. Something like that.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by petesimac
I thought the PQ was slightly crisper on DirecTV. Isn't PQ from OTA sources reliant upon the quality of the antennae...
No.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Originally posted by petesimac

I thought the PQ was slightly crisper on DirecTV. Isn't PQ from OTA sources reliant upon the quality of the antennae...
Quote:
No.
Since we're talking about a digital source here i think you will either get the signal or you won't. For instance on satellite the pq doesn't improve with a higher signal strength, you either have sufficient signal and get a perfect picture, or your strength is too low and you get nothing.

·
Registered
45,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by StreetPreacher
Since we're talking about a digital source here i think you will either get the signal or you won't. For instance on satellite the pq doesn't improve with a higher signal strength, you either have sufficient signal and get a perfect picture, or your strength is too low and you get nothing.
Correct.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Correct.
When my CBS multicast I get a picture ,but it is far from perfect. This would indeed be a lesser signal. correct? When they do not multicast is by far better. USA feed was superior to my local CBS (with a extra weather radar).

·
Registered
45,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kevinivey
When my CBS multicast I get a picture ,but it is far from perfect. This would indeed be a lesser signal. correct? When they do not multicast is by far better. USA feed was superior to my local CBS (with a extra weather radar).
Muticasting reduces the available bandwidth for the main HD channel, which would result in a degraded HD image quality.

Weather radar (fixed image) should not affect it drastically. It could be the way the station is implementing the subchannel. You may want to speak to the engineering manager at the station and let them know what you are seeing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.