AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to upgrade my Denon 1803. I have the following equipment and primarily listen to DVD's (not too much music).

Axiom M60ti - front mains

Axiom VP150 - center

Axiom QS8 - rears

SVS 25-31 PC+

Please don't tell me it's whatever sounds the best to me. I want an opinion of people who have this equipment or have heard it.

I am leaning toward the Denon 3805 or the Pioneer 56TXi. What would be the best match for my speakers. Thanks for your help.:confused:

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I don't know how much I can help, as I haven't listened to the complete set up, but after much research here and on the Axiom forums, I decided to go with the 56txi.

I have M22ti's, VP150, QS8's (side) and QS4's (rear) as well as an SVS PB12-ISD/2 (formerly PB2-ISD). Unfortunately, my room isn't finished yet and nothing is hooked up yet.

Stew

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Stew... I think you are in my head. After much knowledge gathering, that is virtually the exact same setup as my Rev 1.0 HT (This is my first real theater so I will probably go through a couple Revs before I'm done).

The only difference was in the sub choice - I was thinking HSU VTF-3 MK 2 but not married to it.

Add to the above the following to finish off the room:

Projector = Sony VPL-HS51

Screen = Carada 104 Inch Criterion 1.78 to 1 Brilliant White

My concern with the above setup, specifically with the receiver/speaker/sub choices, is that it may be "overkill" for my HT space.

The room has decent length but is narrow, by HT standards I suppose - the dimensions are 18 x 10.5.

I want the theater quality experience, but also don't want to go so much higher than I need to if I can achieve desired results based on the room size with a setup that is less expensive.

As a side note.. I have not decided on a DVD player so if any of you kind AVS'ers could suggest one ($500 or less) it would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyfam
Hey Stew... I think you are in my head. After much knowledge gathering, that is virtually the exact same setup as my Rev 1.0 HT (This is my first real theater so I will probably go through a couple Revs before I'm done).

The only difference was in the sub choice - I was thinking HSU VTF-3 MK 2 but not married to it.

Add to the above the following to finish off the room:

Projector = Sony VPL-HS51

Screen = Carada 104 Inch Criterion 1.78 to 1 Brilliant White

My concern with the above setup, specifically with the receiver/speaker/sub choices, is that it may be "overkill" for my HT space.

The room has decent length but is narrow, by HT standards I suppose - the dimensions are 18 x 10.5.

I want the theater quality experience, but also don't want to go so much higher than I need to if I can achieve desired results based on the room size with a setup that is less expensive.

As a side note.. I have not decided on a DVD player so if any of you kind AVS'ers could suggest one ($500 or less) it would be greatly appreciated :)

And I think you're in my head as I have a HS51 on pre-order (actually 4 of them - I'm impatient) and have a Carada BW (126") sitting in my game room waiting for installation. I think I might have a bit of overkill as well, but what the hell. My room is about 21 X 13.

Stew

PS. My original goal was a good DVD player for around $500 as well, but recently purchased the 59avi. I couldn't resist the reviews I read about it combined with the ease of the I-link between it and the 56txi, not to mention how well they'll look together in my audio rack.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dlbeck
I need to upgrade my Denon 1803. I have the following equipment and primarily listen to DVD's (not too much music).

Axiom M60ti - front mains

Axiom VP150 - center

Axiom QS8 - rears

SVS 25-31 PC+

I have a very similar setup although QS4s and an HSU VTF-2. I have a Denon 2803 Reciever that I am happy with. I have started to listen to more and more music and wanted to get a really clear higher end reciever to go with it.

I just picked up a Rotel RSX-1056 less than an hour ago. I'll hook it up tomorrow and post back and let you know what I think. For HT the 2803 works great and even with Music I like it.

I can't wait to hookup the Rotel and see the difference.

:D :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Very nice Stew... I wish my room was just a bit wider - 13' would really nice. Oh well.

I haven't pre-ordered anything yet - the room is still in framing so I have a bit of time. Shooting for a Super Bowl Grand Opening...

Well, off to check out the 59avi...

Make sure you report on how your room comes together - yours will most likely be finished before mine and I'll be interested to hear how the setup works out.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Johnny,

I was shooting for a grand opening on the 19th of November and should have everything done by the 12th or so. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem as if the HS51 is going to cooperate with my schedule. I guess I could drag in one of my 32" TV's and pretend until the projector gets here. At least I'll know how things sound. Stupid Sony.

Stew

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've got the same Axiom setup as you but went with the SVS PB1-ISD when it came in white (looks sweet not having a big black box in the corner.) You should go sign up onto the Axiom Forum. A lot of Axiom owners go with Harmon Kardon. I tried that out first, but was having some problems with it (had to do with another component in my system) but I really liked the HK, especially the bass management. The Axioms can be considered pretty bright so I wound up going seperates and getting warm-sounding Adcom amps. It gave me a perfect medium. But you should check out the Axiom threads. They'll give you the most info.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Holy Crap that thing is big!

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by erikb333
I've got the same Axiom setup as you but went with the SVS PB1-ISD when it came in white (looks sweet not having a big black box in the corner.)

Well, since the walls in my home theater are either black or a very dark green (depending upon the wall), I don't think a white sub would look very good. If I ever need to replace the sub in my living room, however, I might consider white.

Stew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.