AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our TV in the family room is going to be mounted in above the fireplace. There is no mantel or shelf on the fireplace. I am trying to avoid putting the center channel on the fireplace. Could I match an in ceiling center channel with floor standing speakers? When watching movies would it become a distraction if the dialog seems to be coming from the ceiling while the music is coming from ear level. Since this room is not a dedicated theater I listen to music quite often from this room. Am I correct in assuming that music will only be coming from the floor standing speakers so the positioning of center in the ceiling will only be important when watching movies or TV? Finally my budget for the Center, Left and Right channel speakers is 1500-2000 so any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
30,259 Posts
Well you could use a ceiling mounted speaker that is designed to shoot the sound toward the listener. Something like this: http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/icb8lcr.html You might consider three of these in place of floor standing speakers. It would give you a more seamless front sound stage for movies. Much better match with a high mounted TV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I sent an email Triad. I would like to listen to the speaker prior to purchasing them. I hope they fit in my price range.

·
Registered
30,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5  /t/1417396/matching-a-center-channel-in-ceiling-with-floor-standing-speakers#post_22164510

Well you could use a ceiling mounted speaker that is designed to shoot the sound toward the listener. Something like this: http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/icb8lcr.html You might consider three of these in place of floor standing speakers. It would give you a more seamless front sound stage for movies. Much better match with a high mounted TV.
Well, one of these would be better than typical in-ceiling speakers but, frankly, no in-ceiling speaker will really provide a well-integrated soundstage with a pair of floor-standers.  Using 3 of them will give a more seamless front soundstage but having all the front sounds come from the ceiling would be intolerable for me.  Using one (or none) might better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts