AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to home theater and speaker setup, so please excuse any rambling and/or noob questions.

A few years back, my mother-in-law bought a Jamo DVR50 receiver/DVD player and JBL S36 series II speakers. She never used them so she gave them to me. I'm using the JBLs as front speakers. Should these be used as fronts or are they better off as surround speakers? Anyone have opinions as to the quality of these components?

To get to my question: I'm piecing a 5.1 surround system together, and I'm looking to add a center channel speaker, with a sub and two surround speakers to follow in the future. I have some Best Buy gift card to burn, but they no longer carry JBL. So, I have been looking at the Polk CS10 or the Bose VCS-10 for the center channel. I'm concerned that if I don't match the new center channel to the JBLs, I will have poor sound quality. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to match these speakers?

· Registered
472 Posts
You're right, mismatching your center very well could (will, if you go with the Bose) give you poor results. Search around for a JBL center that will be as close a match as possible to the S36 (like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features )

somewhere else and use your BB card for a sub. Don't hamstring yourself by limiting the option to BB. For the time being use phantom center on your set up (check your receiver menu to access it).

· Registered
29 Posts
agreed, im a magnolia manager at BB, and the Bose center is awful, i hooked up my 75$ sony (old polk center, rebranded) beside the bose center, and the sony was much better, my sony HTiB center in my game room is better, with a 2" driver

· Registered
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by svollmer /forum/post/15413214

Hello all, I'm new to home theater and speaker setup, so please excuse any rambling and/or noob questions.

A few years back, my mother-in-law bought a Jamo DVR50 receiver/DVD player and JBL S36 series II speakers. She never used them so she gave them to me. I'm using the JBLs as front speakers. Should these be used as fronts or are they better off as surround speakers? Anyone have opinions as to the quality of these components?

To get to my question: I'm piecing a 5.1 surround system together, and I'm looking to add a center channel speaker, with a sub and two surround speakers to follow in the future. I have some Best Buy gift card to burn, but they no longer carry JBL. So, I have been looking at the Polk CS10 or the Bose VCS-10 for the center channel. I'm concerned that if I don't match the new center channel to the JBLs, I will have poor sound quality. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to match these speakers?

Have you considered going with a "phantom" center? I've been doing that for years in both my home theater and family room setups. Here is a little about my experience.

· Registered
245 Posts
I'm running S38 as fronts and S38-II for surround and am pleased. A vast improvement (in my configuration) over the Polk R50 I was running previously.

I was just loaned a JBL center (which I'm not sure is matching or not,) but I haven't any complaints using them with my existing Polk CSi3, which I grabbed to mate with the R50s. It seems to be a nice piece, very solid and heavy.

* I am very impressed with the S38(-II) as a value.

· Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm with the already mentioned idea of using your gift card for a sub and picking up a pair of S38's used for your mains. Relegate the S36's to the surrounds. Finally, get an S-Center for the center channel. This setup will amaze you with its performance at that price level.

I just saw some nice S38's and S-Center(s) on fleabay this morning. (No connection to me.) You might want to take a look.

Happy hunting.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the input! I think I will take the advice of picking up the sub at BB, and looking for the JBL studio series on ebay or craigslist.

I looked for the phantom center option, but I think that it is a little too "new" for the Jamo DVR50. (FYI, the DVR50 is apparently a precursor to the DMR61. I couldn't post the link, but check out Jamo's website, under electronics) The DVR50 doesn't really have many options at all for audio setup (only 3 configurations are offered: Neutral, Dynamic, and Jamo reference). I can set the speaker levels, but there isn't anything to adjust preset levels. I personally would have bought a separate DVD player and receiver, but the Jamo was free, so I took it. My plan is to buy the speakers so that they can be used with a new receiver, if/when I replace the DVR50.

Have any of you had any experience with Jamo? I hadn't until I was given this one.

· Registered
4,029 Posts
If you're going to use your existing JBLs as surrounds, no need to be confined to JBLs for the Front 3, any matching front three that you like will be fine. Timber matching surrounds isn't necessary. Be sure to upgrade the Jamo with the newest Firmware via Jamo.com under discontinued products. It fixes a lot of problems and adds some features.

The Studio L series are really nice though. Clean, detailed highs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.