AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recognize this question may have been asked before, but my searches have turn up days of reading and I have not quite found the answer yet.

So here goes:

I have a Panny S1 54" and I just matched it with a DMP-BD85. My previous A/V was very old and I'm in need of a total upgrade. The S1 was a wise choice for me due to price and quality at the time. The BD-85 now adds the missing internet connection and upstaged to WiFi and 7.1 audio. With options like Netflix added I have the same or better options than I would have had with an upgraded Panny TV version a few months ago.

Now I'm looking for a compatiable receiver that complements the features that I have with the TV and Bluray player. Not looking to get the best money can buy, but something that considers the features I have with the units I've bought as not to over do it or limit their use.

What is good 7.1 receiver to get which allows full use of the audio features of the BD85? I'll use my current speakers for now and I hope to get a very nice set at a later date. What's recommended? Or is there a powered speaker system that can be driven right off of the BD85?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi, welcome to the AVS Forum. First, some good news; pretty much any HDMI capable AVR should at least meet your basic needs. But, to give you a better answer, we'll need some more information. First, what's your budget range for this? Also, what speakers will you be using with this? Do you also plan to get new speakers, too? If so, what would be your total budget (AVR and speakers) for this? Finally, how do you see yourself using this - mostly movies, TV, games, music?

Of these, the budget is the top priority, but any extra info will help people give you a good recommendation or two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As much as I've been reading since I joined last December, I realized that I have never posted. So the Welcome is in order...
Thank you!

I did a ton of reading before buying my S1 and am actually very glad I found this site. I originally bought the S14 not knowing the difference was more than just trim and connections until I found this site. Then for just $200 more I stepped up to the S1 in a bigger 54" screen. Very, very glad I found this site.

Nuff said about that.

I mainly use this "in-the-works" system for my family room which is the primary place for home entertainment. Movies, sports and music would be the primary purpose.

My current audio system is very, very old and low end. As not to break the bank all at one time, I'm inching my way to a complete make over but am trying to be smart about buying right and at great prices. So its hard to say what a budget would be. For example I've read that the Sony STR-DN1000 is a great receiver. At the cuurent price over the net, if that's a great choice I'd have no problem buying it. But if there was a compeling reason to spend $200 more for example to later incorporate a wireless multi-room speaker system with a better set up than capable from the Sony (this is just stated for discussion as I know nothing about wireless speakers available today), I'd consider it. But at the other end, if I don't need a $1,000 receiver with all kinds of bell and whistles that I would never use, then I'm perfectly okay with paying less.

While the sky is not the limit, I'm the type that will buy once and be satisfied for years to come even when something better comes out. I don't have to have the latest and greatest if what I have was was really good when I bought it.

What has me looking for more answers is the fact that the BD85 boasts a lot about its A/V capabilities. And if it is that impressive, do I really need to replicate that in a receiver or am I looking for something that would just pass that clarity right through? If I'm using HDMI from the Bluray to the receiver and from the receiver to the TV does the receiver matter as far as specs if the signal from the BD85 is as good as it gets? Or do I need to match A/V clarity all the way through the system to get the real benefit from the BD85?

Complete speaker and receiver systems are not out of the picture entirely right now either. But from past HiFi experience (and I'm talking 15 - 20 year old stuff) it still seems that I could get a realy good receiver for the price of an okay complete system. Then later I could get some really good speakers and end up with a really good system overall.

I'm okay with not getting speakers right now knowing that I'll buy a complete set later. But again, if there is an outstanding complete 7.1 system that would pair up nicely with the features of the BD85 and cost in the ball park of lets say a Sony STR-DN1000 and a great set of speakers then I'm all ears.

Thanks to all you guys that have provided so much information for all to benefit from.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts