AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I've got a few questions & your opinions would be greatly appreciated. I recently purchased a projector. It's a Sanyo PLC-EF10N. When I use it indoors, i'll shine it onto my wall. However, this thing has a 50 foot throw that I would like to take advantage of. I'm looking into making a screen so that I can watch movies outdoors. I realize that a screen that big is going to cost a great deal of money, but I need to make this a cheap as possible. I'm in college & broke. I've looked into the blackout material that "Carl's Place" offers & I can't spend that much money. I'm honestly about to go buy multiple bedsheets and sew them together. I don't think this will work too great, though.

My questions are: 1. What material do you suggest I use? I don't need anything too fancy. As long as we can see the picture, we'll be alright.
2. (I know this is probably a stupid question,) but If my throw is 50 ft. I'd probably want a 51-52 ft. screen.. What would the dimensions of that be? (Length & height)
3. I've looked into the "blackout fabric" that fabric stores have, such as the "roc-lon budget blackout fabric" sold at joann fabric. Would this be a good material?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
OK, something's not right here. You're in college and broke with projector that originally cost 21 THOUSAND dollars?

A FIFTY FOOT SCREEN? Are you opening a drive in? How do you plan to use this screen? You can probably get away with a MUCH smaller screen. Just because the projector has 50' throw doesn't mean you HAVE to have a 50 foot screen.

The Roc-lon blackout cloth will work just fine. It's what I used for both my 12' wide screen and my 8' wide deck screen. At 12', the cloth is 54" wide, so two lengths sewn together work out to just under the 16:9 ratio. It should be very affordable with the discount coupons that JoAnns ALWAYS has (usually 40-50% off one item).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts