Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I hope I get some help here in understanding the math of the receviers. If you have a pair of 250W speakers ex: Athena WS-100 and have a 7 x 50W 7.1-Channel Receiver. Does it mean the receiver can output only 50w out of each speaker? Is that right?

I am in a plan to build my new home theater for the first time and like to know your recommendations on the reveviers on HK, Yamaha and Panasonic.

Intially I was interested on the Hk AVR235, AVR325, AVR335 but one of cousine told me to pick the recevier which output more than 100W. He was recommending the Yamaha 770W. I am not sure whether that is good or not. I heard a lot about HK235 on this forum.

Hope I will be helped here in understanding things here.

thanks

·
Banned
516 Posts
Many manufactures fudge there numbers so to speak, so sometimes more is not always really better. HK is pretty conservative with theres, meaning that they give you more of a true power rating. If you look some will spec there products at say 100 watts per ch, but this will be one ch driven at 1khz @ 8ohm. On the other hand other will give you a rating of say 50 watts per ch all ch driven from 20hz to 20khz @ 8 ohm. Now in this case you're second will normally always be the better, being that all channels are being driven throughout the frequency range for the power given.

When shopping around look for receivers that are rated for all ch driven or at least tested from 20hz to 20khz not just one frequency by itself. You will normally be getting a much better (truer) power rating this way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.