AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with Chad from Studio Experience today. He said the 1st batch are in customs and should ship Thursday or Friday. For $6 extra they gave me 3 day shipping so those of you who are waiting should have them by 12/10 if you opt for 3-day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I paid the extra $14 for 2 day delivery. I figured it was one less day to be bouncing around on the UPS truck (UPS did a number on my Da-lite screen yesterday).

That's good news that Matinee is finally here. I'm getting jealous of all these PLV-Z1 people already having their projectors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Soob,

What screen did you get? I am considering pull down 106" diagonal but have heard about an issue with rippling in the DaLite model B. I am trying to spend about $200 on a screen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Midfiguy
Soob,

What screen did you get? I am considering pull down 106" diagonal but have heard about an issue with rippling in the DaLite model B. I am trying to spend about $200 on a screen.
I went with the one Jason from AVS was selling over in the Screens forum. It's the Da-Lite Model B with CSR with the matt-white (gray) material. I think it's called HCMW? Dimensions are 52"x92". Price was a little higher than your budgeted $200 with shipping.

And yes, it does have problems with ripples. I hung the screen last night and there are ripples on the bottom and a small "crease" in the middle. I think if I put some tension on the bottom bar, the ripples won't be noticable (I hope).

I really hope this is the correct screen to use with the Matinee.

Weston

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just talked to Chad too and ordered one... however I live in California (they ship from Washington) so I figured the extra $6 is uncessary. I will kicking myself when I see all the posts of you '3 day shipping people' coming flooding in though :)

It will be interesting to see you will get the first screenshots/ review in, and who will simply veg out and enjoy the dang thing!

Meantime I will prepare my screen and set up my 5.1 surround system. Any suggestions on good progressive scan DVD players? Right now Im thinking of Costco's $140 toshiba player...

·
Registered
160 Posts
...whole can't post prices thing is annoying... it obvious projector purchases at this price range are based largely on price....

At any rate, try calling the 800 number or send a email, get the pricing without the extra bulb and mount (takes off about $600), and it might not hurt to mention you heard the price on a home theater forum.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghamu
Meantime I will prepare my screen and set up my 5.1 surround system. Any suggestions on good progressive scan DVD players? Right now Im thinking of Costco's $140 toshiba player...
Everyone in this forum keeps raving about the Panasonic RP82. I havn't seen it, but from what I've heard, it should be miles better than that toshiba. The Panny RP82 will give you the best de-interlacing and MPEG decoding you can get for a reasonable price (about $220 I think). If the Z1 has a decent scaler, which some people have claimed it does, then this will be a killer combo. Of course, I'm partial to HTPC myself (best scaling, poor to adequate de-interlacing), and the Z1 looks like it accomodates this as well via Li On's pixel perfect mapping. Lots of options for you Z1 folks!

--

Mike U.

·
Registered
160 Posts
...I know some people have there HTPC's set up pretty nicely... but mine is still a clunker to use; and even with using just two panaflow 80mm's in the whole system, its sound is definitly noticable, dvd players are soooo nice and quiet and camparison :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been patiently waiting (and lurking) on this forum ever since Fortune published the spot about Mark Rehjon... until now. My SE Matinee 1HD is on the way from Studio Experience, Video Essentials is on the way from NetFlix, and the HTPC is raring to go.

Yes!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Anyone heard anything lately or got there shipping confirmation numbers yet? On tuesday, Chad said they could be shipping either thurs or friday just wondering....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I spoke with Debbie at Boxlight this afternoon, who is responsible for "international" shipping (from Washington State to Alberta: quite trip!). She said they're "expecting them in tomorrow", and will ship mine, and presumably everyone elses, same day. She also said that she'd e-mail a confirmation of shipment, as well as the courier tracking number.

I had it double-boxed with DHL, and marked "Computer Display Device" to avoid duty at the Canadian border. It'll be under the tree on Christmas morning.

Fingers crossed,

dave.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghamu
There seems to be three players that are in the spotlight:

Panasonic DVD-RP82:
Panasonic RP82 Page

Pioneer DV-45A :
Info

Denon DVD-900:
Info

The Panasonic is the best value and the one I am leaning toward. It's a bit ugly looking though! :)

Sayer

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
FYI- I have a Panasonic Rp56 (currently replaced by the RP-62) and a Mitsubishi 6030 (which is a Toshiba 3800 clone). The Mitsubishi puts out a comparable picture to the Panasonic and is a bit sharper. For some crazy reason, I think the audio sounds better too on the Mitsubishi too. I had lip sync issues with the Pansonic, that is why I got the Mitsubishi. I didn't get the Toshiba 3800 because I didn't like the silver color. I would give the Toshiba a chance. Also, I can not notice the chroma bug on the Mitsubishi either.

Scott

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I pulled the Trigger on an RP-82. There is a lot of debate as to whether the CP-72 changer is the same unit in changer form. According to Panasonics website it is not but some AVSers seem to think different. If they are the same unit, the CP-72 is a steal with the $30 rebate.

Update on the Matinee HD-1, SE still says today or Monday. Everytime I get an email, I click expecting to see a shipping confirmation from Chad but......

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ordered my 1HD from Chad last Tuesday (December 3rd). Today I got an email:

Quote:
Hello Dave,

I wanted to give you an update on your order!

There was a small delay in our shipment of Matinee 1hd's. We are expecting them late this week, and you are allocated for one of our first units.

I'll contact you again as soon as I have a firm shipping date.

Regards,

Debbie Cox

Global Account Manager

Boxlight Corporation
So we wait a little longer. But it's nice to know I'm near the top of the queue.

dave.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've noticed that AVS removed the post that they were also selling the SE Matinee. Wonder what's up with the delay on the Matinee 1HD. Maybe they are fixing the fan problem?

Anyway, I ordered my Matinee 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything from SE at to what's up with the delay. Since then, the PLV-Z1 has been released, and it's dropped in price (with free shipping). If you want a projector before Christmas, the PLV-Z1 might be the way to go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I pre-ordered a matinee before Thanksgiving. I was told that it should be shipping 12/1. I spoke with SE yesterday afternoon and was told the projectors were in their warehouse in California and they were trying to get them to ship. I was also told that I was tword the top of the list and would be in the first batch to go out. I asked if I could expect the Projector to ship in the next day or two and was told yes. That would mean shipping either Today (12/11) or Tomorrow (12/12). I must admit, I wasn't real confident that I was being told the truth. I already missed having it for my daughters slumber party.

What good is a projector if you can't show it off around Christmas;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.