AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just played around with the first disc. Picture is fabulous. Seems very 3D or life-like. This is on a 106" screen. Just a tremendous picture, better than I thought it would be. Sound has to be pumped up similar to the SD version but the True HD soundtrack is excellent. Detail is great and LFE seems to be a cut above the SD. Overall looks like a winner for Warner. Way to go
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
EE ruined it for me. not completely ruined, but let the experience down quite a bit (100" screen). wonder if warner used an old HD master ? or whoever worked on this title was a bit of an idiot (ee on HD ? hello ? )


either way, i would have expected better from warner on such a big title.


not saying it's bad, just not as technically impressive as i was expecting.


nice to see number 2 doesn't have this problem (edit: scratch that. it does have some. grrrr!)


i hope this f***ing EE isn't going to be a problem on their other catalog titles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check again but I can say after as many HD DVDs that I have wathced, this is excellent. Compared to the SD no comparison. I am using an XA2 but I did not notice the EE you referred to. Once I watch it through, I will comment on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what is EE? I just got the green light from the Mrs. to stop and pick up The Complete Matrix Trilogy on the way home...



Although my viewing will only be on 42"...100+", oh to dream!


Never mind...Edge Enhancement...DUH!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blister72 /forum/post/0


Pardon my ignorance, but what is EE? I just got the green light from the Mrs. to stop and pick up The Complete Matrix Trilogy on the way home...



Although my viewing will only be on 42"...100+", oh to dream!


Never mind...Edge Enhancement...DUH!

Edge Enhancement. A sneaky way of creating the illusion of a sharper image. However, in HD it just looks wrong.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM /forum/post/0


EE ruined it for me. not completely ruined, but let the experience down quite a bit (100" screen). wonder if warner used an old HD master ? or whoever worked on this title was a bit of an idiot (ee on HD ? hello ? )


either way, i would have expected better from warner on such a big title.


not saying it's bad, just not as technically impressive as i was expecting.


nice to see number 2 doesn't have this problem (edit: scratch that. it does have some. grrrr!)


i hope this f***ing EE isn't going to be a problem on their other catalog titles.

Just curious, what FP are you using?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Well, I've watched the first two Matrix movies now and they're stunning!

Crystal clear and very sharp picture revealing all the detail in faces (skin, beards, hair, eyes etc.) and in clothing fabric; Trinity and Monica Bellucci in tight PVC/rubber anyone?



Also seeing Matrix and Reloaded on two consecutive evenings now, I've come to appreciate the second Matrix movie and the virtual/physical world logic the Wachowski brothers have created much more; pretty much a requirement for any sci-fi book, film or series.

Forget the SD DVDs, if you've got the $70 odd Dollars and like the movies, the HD DVD box sets are an absolute must!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts

Quote:
Just curious, what FP are you using?

nothing special. 720 LCD (Hitachi TX200). but using other titles as a reference point, i know what is achievable within these limitations, and it's enough to be able to see EE in all it's glory. which is a shame. this isn't why i bought into HD.


it's very clear that these discs are a significant upgrade to the DVDs, but i wish we could have all the pluses of HD without the halos.


i'd like to upgrade to a 1080 projector, but i'm having doubts. if the majority of studio catalog titles are going to be released like this (with ee), it might just be worth going with a 50/60 plasma. the ee might not irritate so much.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM /forum/post/0


nothing special. 720 LCD (Hitachi TX200). but using other titles as a reference point, i know what is achievable within these limitations, and it's enough to be able to see EE in all it's glory. which is a shame. this isn't why i bought into HD.


it's very clear that these discs are a significant upgrade to the DVDs, but i wish we could have all the pluses of HD without the halos.


i'd like to upgrade to a 1080 projector, but i'm having doubts. if the majority of studio catalog titles are going to be released like this (with ee), it might just be worth going with a 50/60 plasma. the ee might not irritate so much.

I have a 50 inch 1080p plasma and based on my partial viewing so far the PQ looks as good as anything I have seen. I would rate this with KK. IMO. I do not notice any EE on this title at all. If there is any, it is small enough that it is not noticeable on my set up from around 2 ft away - that's how close I was sitting just to gauge the PQ. We'll be seeing the entire movie later tonight...


Anyway, could be your display is partially at fault. I believe a lot of folks here have an HD DVD player set connected to large screens. Obvious EE would not have earned this a 5/5. JMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would agree Plazman. I was very impressed with the picture. I have an Optoma H77, calibatated professionally. I shows very well against the competition. I would put it up against any title after watching it today. I could not see the EE that was referred to on an earlier post. Can't wait for the other two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
I went out and purchased the Ultimate collection from BB today and left work a little early to watch the first movie.


Before I go on, I'll say that I was never a die hard fan of the movies, although I saw all of them in the theater and The Matrix was the first DVD I purchased (along with Saving Private Ryan.) I've seen the first movie dozens of times over the years and am quite familiar with it.


That said, the experience I had in HD was unreal. I kid you not, it was like watching it for the first time! Despite having parts of the movie memorized, I was totally caught up in the movie and I found myself getting tense during the climax (like I didn't know he was gonna make it
). While the picture looked fantastic, it was the sound that blew me away. I was so captured by the soundtrack, effects, everything, that it took me into the movie like no other title I own.


I wouldn't believe it if I read it here, but for me, this is by far the crown jewel of my, albeit small, HD collection in terms of pure theater experience.


I think the French said it best:


"Frankly a great blow of hat with Warner"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,419 Posts

chotaBK said:
got the set today and skipped to one scene (time constraint).


the lobby blew every expectation out of the water. audio and video.[/QUOTE






I thought the same thing chota, I already seen reloaded twice.


Not yet ready to watch the thrid.....




Djoel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Well I've watched the Matrix and the Matrix Reloaded. Color me impressed. I didn't notice anything with the quality of the picture, but then again, I'm only watching on a 37" 1080i TV. It looked great to me, though, and sounded awesome. My neighbors were peeved at me after last night, but one did ask to borrow the first disc of the box set late last night. He came home with his copy of the Ultimate box set today when he returned my copy of the Matrix. He clearly liked it too...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,889 Posts
It found the discs to be stunning transfers for both video and audio. The best looking and sounding HD I have ever seen. The True HD track is simply outstanding. A total immessive and powerful soundfield with well placed and directional sound. Simply awesome! The PQ is sharp and detailed and three dimensional. Watching on a professionally calibrated 50PHD7UY.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Is the picture sharper than Training Day?
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top