AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I was looking for this today and saw no future listings. Before LoTR 2 came out, I noticed the premium stations were playing LoTR1 a lot, so I was hoping for the saem with the Matrix. For anyone who saw the HD feed... how was it? PQ and sound?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
IIRC, the HBO transfer was open matte.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
It would have made sense to air it this month, but they didn't. Perhaps Warner wants to much $$ for repeating it?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I would say they aren't running it becuase Fox is running it. Most likely Fox has and paid $$$ for exclusive rights to run it for now.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cris Moore
IIRC, the HBO transfer was open matte.
What good is open matte when there is still information missing from the sides of the picture? Maybe not as much, however I would rather see the all of the picture information on the sides.

http://www.widescreen.org/aspect_ratios.shtml#OpenMatte

See example at the bottom....

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Open matte does not cut off anything from the sides, it merely opens up the areas above and below the matted area and shows more above and below than was shown in the theatrical version. I would still prefer OAR, but I didn't want to let your incorrect assertion go uncommmented on. You are seeing the whole image, you just aren't seeing it composed as originally intended.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Although I'd prefer OAR, I'll take an open matte show over a P&S any day. IMO, an open matte transfer is a good compromise between "I hate the black bars" and "I only want OAR" problem. With open matte, the black bars are gone, no cropping is done, and the PQ doesn't suffer from the "zoom-in" that happens with P&S. A downside with using open matte is that it can be painfully obvious that the picture is not framed correctly, when the top of the stars head is slightly chopped off, yet there is still 6 inches of picture below his feet!

BTW, I have an old copy of The Matrix on DVHS and I think it looks great in open matte. I looking forward to a repeat showing as my copy has too many audio and video dropouts.

Cris

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
Open matte does not cut off anything from the sides, it merely opens up the areas above and below the matted area and shows more above and below than was shown in the theatrical version. I would still prefer OAR, but I didn't want to let your incorrect assertion go uncommmented on. You are seeing the whole image, you just aren't seeing it composed as originally intended.
This is not entirely true!

I have the HBO version on DVHS tape and have compared it to my DVD.

There is noticable cropping on the sides on the HBO version in numerous scenes. It probably has something to do with the special effects.

Frank

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
So for an open matte film, when special effects happen, we end up with a P&S for that section of the film?

Cris

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cris Moore
So for an open matte film, when special effects happen, we end up with a P&S for that section of the film?

Cris
It depends on whether the special effects were done only for the theatrical aspect ratio or not.

In the case of 'THe Matrix', it appears that the effects were rendered for the 2.35:1 aspect ratio only.

Frank

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Not always true. Many "Wire removal" scenes were done at 1.78:1.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
On the HBO version, on some of the scenes the aspect ratio increases by oh, 10%. Also, P&S really only happens in small periods of extreme and mostly non CGI effect, ex, the dive for the window in the opening scene after running on rooftops or, the explosion in the lobby.

The matrix is so filtered that blow-up fuzzing isn't all that much of a problem, and it is a very clean transfer besides...

Darius

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.