Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im looking at getting a copy of the matrix reloaded when it comes out. Like a lot of us on this forum i want better sound than just dd5.1, anyone know if this movie is being released in a dts or even better, a dts-es 6.1 version? and where i can buy it?

tia

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
there is no contract between them, WB simply decided not to support DTS coz there is simply no big difference between the 2 formats, and i agree to that. I rather have the 768kbps or 1.5mbps added to the video bitrate to improve picture quality

the difference between DD and DTS is very trivial, especially when they use the same source or mix

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
So you say.. I notice a difference on most dts movies.. maybe it is just the way they mix it but even that to me is worth the extra space and in most cases the extra bitrate doesn't cuase PQ loss.

·
Registered
28,439 Posts
Warner Bros' decision not to support DTS has nothing to do with a contract between them and Dolby, and it has nothing to do with the quality of the two audio formats. Warner doesn't support DTS because their marketing research has indicated that the presense of a DTS track does not boost sales sufficiently to justify the licensing fees they must pay. That is the only reason for their decision, and until there is a significant market shift that is the way it is going to remain.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
i read somehwere that WB wanted to support DTS, and they used DTS in the Lethal Weapon DC 1,2,3 ... but did then decided not to use it anymore coz there was no significant improvement

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
WB made the DTS logo on their packaging so small that it was almost impossible to notice the discs had a DTS soundtrack. It looked like they didn't want people to see it and as if they wanted their experiment with DTS to fail. How would this help it to fail? By people not noticing the discs had DTS, there would be no boost in sales. That may not be true in the slightest, but it is the impression some people got.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Most people- i.e. the uneducated masses (in the matter of HT)_ don't even know the difference between DD and DTS. So as far as the average consumer goes it doesn't matter if it's DTS or DD or omega 12.3 or whatever. It's all the same to them. Why do you think there's still fullscreen DVDs out there?

Also, the quality argument has been debated. Personally, I don't have a preference between the two. Maybe it's my equipment, but it's all the same except that DTS seems a bit louder (which then we think sounds better).

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would love to see a 6.1 or 7.1 DD mix released, i like dts better than dd, but any 6.1 version would be nice.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BigguyZ

Also, the quality argument has been debated. Personally, I don't have a preference between the two. Maybe it's my equipment, but it's all the same except that DTS seems a bit louder (which then we think sounds better).
Let's not go there. This is an argument that can't be won by any side. There is a difference (besides volume) weather you hear it or not is another story. If you don't hear a difference (besides volume) that's fine, but don't try to convince the rest of us who can hear the difference.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I can live without DTS but a DD-EX track would be nice.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Hey David,

Josh is a good guy but maybe he and I disagree on this. In any case, I won't be holding my breath waiting for the next DTS DVD from Warner. Oh well.

·
Registered
28,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David600
exactly!

and even dvdfile reviews pointed at these issues, so I'm a bit "surprised" by Joshua's comments...
We at DVDFile are not of one hive mind.

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Davis
Josh is a good guy but maybe he and I disagree on this.
???

I'm confused. Where are we disagreeing?

Warners uses the results of their marketing research as the reason for their decision. Now maybe they did intentionally stack the deck to get a certain result (though this sounds awfully Oliver Stone-ian to me), but even if so this would only be so that they could justify not paying the licensing fees.

It's all about the $$$ no matter how you look at it, and has nothing to do with quality. If they could use DTS for free with no licensing fees, I have no doubt that they would do so.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by movie_guy
Let's not go there. This is an argument that can't be won by any side. There is a difference (besides volume) weather you hear it or not is another story. If you don't hear a difference (besides volume) that's fine, but don't try to convince the rest of us who can hear the difference.
I only said that I coudn't tell a difference with my equipment. I never said there wasn't a difference at all.

I would like to see conclusive evidence that the DTS track is better. Show me several articles and then maybe I'll start to be convinced. It doesn't matter to me now either way wiht my setup, but maybe in the future it will matter.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Oliverstonian ? which movie do you think of ? :D

Stone did history good by doing "this" movie.

Your last paragraph is to the point btw.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.