AVS Forum banner

Which title will top Amazon starting the 22nd?

• The Matrix Trilogy

Votes: 236 49.0%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean

Votes: 179 37.1%
  • Planet Earth will be a shocker and top both!

Votes: 67 13.9%
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
As much as I support HD DVD, I think Pirates will rule the sales charts because of the new movie, and the number of PS3ers that will eat it up.

Hopefully Matrix wins out though. But I doubt it. The first time on DVD, it was huge cause it was the first release for the home (aside from VHS), and the sequels weren't out yet (which turned off a lot of people).

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think it will be close and can go either way.

I'm guessing one of the Pirates movies will take the lead though. With a lower price ($23.xx compared to $63.xx+ of the matrix set), the fact there is only one sku per movie (opposed to sales being spread across multiple versions), and the larger installed user base of Blu Ray, I think these will take the top.

With that said, Matrix has had a lot of advertising going on towards the set so I'm sure it will sell incredibly well. If the movies were available as single discs opposed to the set, I wouldnt be surprised if Matrix took the top.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Im guessing the Pirates movie(s) because:

1. They are single titles and you can buy them separately instead of 3 movies combined in a set.

2. The 2nd movie was just out and the 3rd one is on it's way soon. Still fresh in people's minds and there is a lot of marketing/merchandise for it.

3. It's not like the PS3 owners have any games to buy, so they'll spend the money on this instead.

·
Registered
436 Posts
not really a fair comparison...

the Matrix trilogy costs alot more than the single POTC movies. I expect POTC to trounce the Matrix solely based on price. Now if they had released just the Matrix as a standalone...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I will admit I bought Planet Earth on Blu Ray, only because I watch the HD DVDs using the 360 drive, and I have no way of getting it to do 1080p on my TV. So I got it on Blu Ray so I could at least watch it in 1080p.

I must say though, looks spectacular!

I just preordered both Pirates movies too, however, I think I'm gonna hold off on The Matrix.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Maybe the first pirates will prevail but i at least know 5 or 6 people who walked out on the second one due to sheer retardness. I have never seen the second one because the first one was pretty meh on my scale. I think i would rather watch pr0n.

·
Premium Member
24,254 Posts
I think most already have POTC on regular DVD so many will not purchase it since it came out more recent. The Matrix on the other hand was made for HD DVD and almost everyone who owns a HD DVD player will get it! I am a BIG fan of both movies but I would say The Matrix will win the next gen format battle next week... Just my prediction of course...

·
Registered
487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD /forum/post/0

Which title will claim the top spot on Amazon?

I don't think either Pirates or Matrix will beat Planet Earth HD DVD on Amazon. At least not for more than a day or so.

For total Nielsen numbers for the week Pirates will be no 1 and 2. If not it would be a major blow to Blu Ray. I don't think either of the box sets will reach more than 50-60% of the top seller for the week. Of course this is all in units. In dollars all three HD DVD box sets may well beat Pirates.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez /forum/post/0

As much as I support HD DVD, I think Pirates will rule the sales charts because of the new movie, and the number of PS3ers that will eat it up.

Hopefully Matrix wins out though. But I doubt it. The first time on DVD, it was huge cause it was the first release for the home (aside from VHS), and the sequels weren't out yet (which turned off a lot of people).

I would not be surprised if HD DVD players sales jump when the Matrix HD DVD hits the stores for Joe6Pack to see.

I jumped to DVD because of the Matrix release on DVD. Just last week I upgraded my audio system for the Matrix HD DVD.

...Angelo

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.