AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a Matrox G400DH from ebay, with the understanding that it has got very good picture quality and video output quality, and has no fan (very important IMO)

The card works great with a monitor attached. I am having problems getting the TV out to work properly though. When I hook it up to my normal TV, the signal doesn't sync and all I get is a mess on the screen. If I hook it up to my older and much more forgiving sony trinitron (with something like a 10" screen), I do get a picture, but it is only black and white. In addition to that, none of the LEDs indicating what standard (NTSC/PAL/SECAM/CPTR) light up, indicating to me that the signal being sent out is not to spec.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be going wrong? Perhaps the card is broken, or the cable is busted (if only the Y is coming through on the S-video connector, that might explain it). I am using the most up to date drivers under Windows XP. Are the more recent graphics cards producing significantly better image quality?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Are you using Dual-head properly?

Your desktop will look like complete barf on a TV, no matter what. I've done it and its crap. Run a DVD and it should look fine. Mine is A-ok. You're running the TV-out cable on the second head? You've installed "Standard Television" as a display?

good luck

:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi cpc,

yes, I am aware of the limitations of TV output. I'm not concerned with image quality yet, I just want to get it working first. My problem is that it doesn't work at all on my main TV, and only works in B&W on my test monitor.

Yes, I am running the TV-out on the second head, and I am pretty sure that I have the second head set up as a TV.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I use the G400 Max via S video to TV and its great, took some tweaking, made the fonts larger, etc, now its perfect, using myHTPC as the interface.

I just downloaded the latest drivers and went into the display properties/ advanced section and adjusted the settings.

Lack of color could mean the wrong type of output is selected.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I have the problem now. The stupid git that sold me the card on ebay gave me the wrong break out cable. I have got a G400, and the break out cable is for G450s and above.

Now I will need to wire up a new connector :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.