AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 18 months with a G400 (the only choice at the time for a Sony W400 projector), I have decided it is time to upgrade the video card. I am running a dual boot WinME, XP setup.

With both the new TT and PowerDVD players optimized for the Radeon, the question is which one (HT rather than games main factor). Clearly with Sony projector custom resolutions is key. Do I go for an LE or VE solution, or are there picture quality (or potential picture quality advantages) with the new 7500 and 8500 lines?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I bought a Radeon 32 MB DDR VE for $52 ($61 after S+H) from www.invado.com and they shipped it same day (arrived 2 days later by UPS ground). VE let you use dual head for monitor and PJ. Monitor for computing and games and PJ for movies. I could not get movies to play on both heads (overlays only work on the main monitor somehow--have not figured this out yet but who need dual video output anyways as it just increase light in room). I previously owned Geforce2 GTS Pro 64 MB DDR but switch to have better video imaging and for dual head (got tired of switching cables :) ) I was too cheap to buy a nice VGA switch box :D

·
Registered
884 Posts
Talbs

In the past I used the MatroxG400 with my 400Q 12 months or so.A couple of months ago I upgraded to the Radeon 32MB LE card. This is a very good combination for the 400Q. There is a certain amount of softness to the G400 and the Radeon is much sharper.

I can tell you that my wife noticed the improvement right away. At the time I think I paid $67.00 at new egg. It was the best bang for the buck I have gotten in a long time .

I also am on the preorder list for the TT DvD software player.

As of now I use WinDvD 2.68 and there is still a nice improvement in sharpness and detail. Good luck John

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, especially in respect to the sharper picture on the Sony with the Radeon.

Still wondering though whether to go with the Radeon LE or spend 3 times as much on the 8500? Any views?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.