Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, this is my first post here so please be nice to me... :D

After 3 years with a Sony 10HT I am about to succumb to the "dark side of the force" (DLP).

I viewed several HD2 models and considered them a little bit "soft" on the definition department compared to what I am used to. I thought this was because of LCDs superior brightness and the fact that I am an HTPC addict, always keen to try new sharpening / edge enhacement filters.

However, I had the opotunity to try Sharp's Z91 (a SVGA machine) at a friend's house and was shocked to see that there was not a great loss of definition compared with its HD2 siblings. I am starting to think that the softness I perceive is all due to the lack of screendoor and that the extra resolution of an HD2 chip will not pay huge dividends in terms of "perceived definition" when compared to, say, a Matterhorn machine

I can afford an HD2 or HD2+ machine, but I am not willing to waste my money. After all, if I am making the move to DLP is for sheer contrast and deep blacks, and Matterhorn machines can give plenty of that.

So, HD2 or Matterhorn? What do you think?

Many thanxs

·
Registered
956 Posts
My comments are based strictly on have I've read here and my observations with my own XGA class DLP units... but I think you have 2 big factors that should be considered. First, seating distance. As long as the projector's resolution is not going to cause visible screen door, and is enough to resolve details in your source (DVD or HDTV?), a Matterhorn should be ok. Secondly, I don't know that you can make very general comparisons between Matterhorn and HD2/HD2+ models, you have to look at specific implementations. For example the Infocus 5700 Matterhorn is very bright but not the last word in contrast and black levels. For not much more money, the BenQ 8700 HD2 is higher contrast but not quite as bright, but better resolution.

One thing I've noticed in my experience (moving from NEC LT150 to the very bright LT240K) is that extra brightness seems to make screen door a bit more visible.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Set up also plays an important role as you would probably already know. For example, if you saw the HD2 without HTPC VS a Matterhorn with HTPC via DVI then of course its going to make quite a drastic difference in terms of picture sharpness.

Pheroy is totally right about sitting distance having an impact because I am sitting about 1.5 X with my SVGA Plus Piano and it looks okay to me even with comparison with HD2 machines. The HD2 machines will allow you to go closer and will probably produce a smoother image.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys, for your comments

The machines I saw were all connected to standalone commercial DVD players, no HTPC, no HDTV. Because I live in Europe, there is no chance for me to get true HDTV sources. The best I can get is "fake 720p" through interpolation from a DVD source, using my HTPC or a external scaler. That's why I wonder whether the extra resolution of an HD2 will pay off.

I totally agree with pheroy on specific implementations. So far, my understanding is that XGA/Matterhorn and HD2 have only been separated by resolution, as XGA/Matterhorn devices have been able to deliver as much contrast and brightness as the best HD2 machines. It seems that that will change with HD2+, with allegued ratios of 5000:1...

I guess that the real test will be connecting comparable Matterhorn and HD2 machines to my HTPC and play around with screen size and seating distance. But I still have the feeling that resolution is not as crucial in DLPs as it was with LCDs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.